[spoilers] Nightweilders Weakness

Craysh

I sort of assumed that the dome of not day-time thing was actually his secondary power, and therefore didn't have to have the same weakness. For instance I don't think steelheart lost his super strength or ability to fly around David's dad just because there was a guy nearby who wasn't afraid of him, that particular weakness only affected his invincibility. 

Secondary power sounds plausible, he'd be an embarrassment as a prime-invincibility high level Epic if he only had one power haha.

Quite the nice synergy he has there-- one power protecting the weakness of the other.

There was a passage that stated Nightwielder could have been on Steelheart's level if he didn't expend his power on keeping the night around.

I did wonder if the deal NightWielder had with Steelheart was to be provided some light-illusionists to bend the UVs in the city away for him. The fact that David got a picture of him in the sunlight (early on in Steelheart's reign) seems odd since it seems it would be rather beneficial for him to stay in invulnerable mode all the time if he could.

Edited by LordCitrus

Nightwielder had a secondary power to shroud daylight. It seems to me that this would be like tinting your windows, not preventing, but blocking the UV Light. David was underneath this Shroud. Trying to Shroud the UV Flashlight would be very difficult b/c David was always on the move. 

We also know that the UV Flashlight acted normally underneath Nightwielders' Shroud, while cutting through the pools of darkness. So we know they are separate powers.

And Can I get an Amen on how Awesome Nightwielder is ?!

Also, Could Nightwielder just use some SPF 100? Just saying *grin

Edited by Narkm

I think that Nightwielder's awesomeness is at an end. It's to bad he didn't have a spren to look out for him.

No, sunblock wouldn't work because the UV rays cut through his power, they didn't give him a sunburn. The power was being projected from him, and UV radiation counteracted his power.

I think we don't know the whole story behind Nightwielders weakness.  Remember the picture David had where the weakness was manifesting?  Whatever his power set is, and whatever his weakness is, there's more to the story that we don't know.  I'm sure Brandon, for instance, knows why Nightwielder was in a position to have his picture taken while he was in sunlight.

• 2 months later...

Could be that UV striking his cloak weakens and disperses it but doesn't completely negate it and he channeled most of his power into the shroud. As for his deal with Steelheart, I think it was a decoy of sorts. Epics put a lot of work into hiding their weaknesses, after all. If Nightwielder had been on his own it would have occurred to someone that the guy with darkness powers was putting a lot of effort into avoiding sunlight and there was probably a connection. By making a deal with Steelheart, he made it seem like the shroud was Steelheart cowing the populace by blotting out the Sun. So he could simultaneously avoid his weakness and keep people from noticing. The picture would be from before Steelheart decided it was dramatically appropriate to raise the shroud.

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of assumed that the dome of not day-time thing was actually his secondary power, and therefore didn't have to have the same weakness. For instance I don't think steelheart lost his super strength or ability to fly around David's dad just because there was a guy nearby who wasn't afraid of him, that particular weakness only affected his invincibility. 

This is a good point. Not only did Davids father not cancel out Steelhearts secondary powers, he didn't cancel his primary powers either, except for the singular instance when Davids father fired his gun. Davids father was present while SH was pummeled by a barrage of bullets. Those bullets, fired by the people around him who were afraid, had no effect on SH. Only the bullet fired by Davids father penetrated SHs defenses.

• Chaos locked this topic