What would you do with the Lord Ruler's powers? (Mistborn Spoilers)

Two McMillion

Alaxel, I'm pretty sure people would figure out how to kill you, it would be like a mixture between people trying to kill the lord ruler and steelheart "lets find what weakness he has and we have to bring him down"

Like the best you'd do is unite everyone against you, which at least giving the world a common enemy would help unite them, but it wouldnt really work in the way you're trying.

King of nowhere, the problem is all of this would have to be done with non-metallic weapons. Yes, you could kill me if you work hard enough at it, but really you'd need to make a weapon that could like instantly kill me with as little metal on you as possible.  Especially with my Dboosting atium/platinum every now and then. 

Also I'd check if F-Nboosting things will be like an extra Dboost or not

Also I'd see if Dboosting compounding works, maybe dboosting a gold compound could let me heal from a nuke or something, and since i'd be compounding luck at the time, it might actually work, and if not, I'd know it won't work and I wouldnt even try it b/c of my Atium/Platinum that I probably Dboosted.

That said, I already established I'd probably be a metal junky b/c I'd use everything way too much. I'd probably need to compound gold to not be like a freaking mistborn servant. haha.

Pretty much, if you know everything we know, and if we know what Brandon knows, you'd be pretty close to indestructible unless someone else has magic too.  

Would it truly be necessary for an immediate and bloody takeover? I mean, you're going to live for a while, you can afford to take some time to do so.

The other thing is that, while modern weapons would probably be able to kill you, I doubt you'd be going at it alone. With the help of emotional allomancy, you can be at the head of a larger movement. And if Hemalurgy works, too, you need not be the only superhuman in it...

(Couldn't use Hemalurgy to grant Allomantic or Feruchemical abilities, of course, but you could steal the attributes of ordinary humans with it.)

beheading would kill, but minigun - propably not.It would be hard to setup. explosions, definately not with atium. Steel, a few seconds is enough to get several hundred meters atleast. combine it with Zinc and your dodging those minigun bullets as they are coming.

A nuke?

Just get a few hundred meters away with steel and boost physical and behind something big, and it wont be enough to tear you apart fully, and you can heal the radiation. But frankly, why do it that way.

Easiest would be to appear as sent by god.

Messiah to the jews, the second coming to the christians, the next prophet to the muslims. Anyone think it would be difficult to convince religious fanatics that your sent by god if you let them shot you a few time and you heal, or if you levitate when you speak? While using emotional allomancy?

Religion is the easiest way. TLR had that right... ;)

Edited by dyring

I'm not sure that would be nearly as easy as you think, dyring. To play the role, it's not just a matter of having supernatural powers- there are certain things you have to do in order to qualify for the position. Qualifications, as it were. The Abrahamic religions already have a model for the appearance of a person with supernatural powers who doesn't meet the requirements in the character of the Antichrist. I doubt that identification would help much. :P

You might be better off starting your own religion, and waiting a few generations for your immortality to convince people. Assuming science doesn't make everyone else immortal so you're no longer special.

Edited by Two McMillion

People who begin to see "miracles" in person that their own religious leader can only describe from a book, and already believe such can only come from a god, well. I do not think it would be difficult. Begin by convincing the religious leaders. Some "miracles" together with emotional allomancy aura. Short of very obvious miracles from a different source, the majority would switch.

Having the pope acknowledge you infront of that place in the vatican, and then moving out with TLR´s aura(but not a depressing one, a joyful one), and youll have a few thousand extremely fanatic followers.

Do the same in Mecka and so on. In our world, completely lacking in any such, it would be extremely convincing among those who very much want to believe, and once you got those, you got a large foothold. Then you can let time prove your immortality to convince the rest;)

Edited by dyring

To avoid a nuke, simply stay in a heavily populated area. No one is going to sacrifice a couple million people just to take you out.

No one moral is likely too, though there are plenty of immoral people in the world. One solution might be to bribe, threaten, recruit,or blackmail all the immoral people who also have nukes.

Meh, I doubt it. I mean, what if I was hanging out in New York City? A Nuke would do far more damage than killing millions of people. There would be trillions, maybe hundreds of trillions of dollars in property damages. Not to mention the nuclear fall out that would devastate more than just the City.

The world governments would likely just try and cut me some kind of sweet deal.

However, after reading some of these other posts I think I would go about things differently. Take the slow route and set myself up as a deity, etc.

I just had this idea. I don't know if I could actually do it, because it involves killing people. I could try to pick people "who deserve it", but if it was real and not just a forum post, it's hard to say.

But anyway, I'd spend 100 or 200 years doing an Interivew With the Vampire ripoff, which I'd title Memoirs of a Supernatural Assassin, or something. I'd kill people and do sneaky things, and then publish 200 years of it as a "fiction" novel. At some point, my fandom would go fact-checking and realize that it's real, and it would be the scariest thing ever.

Surprisingly my idea doesn't involve killing people  :P I would however use it to basically set up my own little enclave after buying it out (probably a nice big island, or you know just make my own) and set up my own little country to rule as I pleased and write/read in peace save for sorting out disputes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the obvious experiment with all metals to figure out all allomantic combinations, I would at the same time be spending years secluded by myself out somewhere, training myself, honing my skills, and making a crap ton of metal minds.

Then I would re-emerge and just go around doing probably whatever the heck I wanted. Some days chaos. Some days saving people, doing good stuff.

Always gotta keep 'em guessing.

Most important thing first. I would figure out how to let other people tap my metalminds, compound huge amounts of bronze (wakefulness) and give it to my family members who have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Following that I guess I'd do the basic stuff: conquer my fear of heights, figure out all the ins and outs of allomancy/feruchemy, visit brandon and you know, be generally awesome ;)

I decided a new way of going about it.

We know space travel will be possible in the third trilogy. I'd figure out how to do this, get my own planet (maybe just take Mars) and Hang out until other people find me. I'd also be able to appear every now and then back on earth and be able to talk to people and stuff like getting human interaction and things that I can't do on my planet.  After setting it up, get people I like and bring them to my planet if they want.

Do things on earth that could make me enough money to buy anything I might need for these things. 

I wouldn't plan on doing anything that makes people want to kill me (until they find out I could space travel myself, that might be enough to make people know I'm a superman), but if I did, I'd have a different identity each time.

But over all, after living on earth long enough being awesome and immortal I'd see if I could survive in space and stuff.

Jag, you are a great example for an argument I'm having with some people. Also, I am writing a book whose setting/exposition show these arguments (because I discovered them after starting the book). Basically, the thing is that everybody thinks of colonizing Mars and of life there, but I have a better option (both more probable and more interesting).

My first impulse woude be to lay low and try to figure out if anyone else has some kind of superpowers, afterall it woud be very unlikely for me to be the only one.

Until I have a good picture of the overall situation I woud only give my self some minor advantages ala luck and connection Ferumenchy to get people on my good side and the like, no downright minde control or other attention grabbing things though.

You just want to explore the goddess of beauty instead of the god of war, I understand you.

But yeah, I don't know the melting point of the metals, but it might be too hot for those.
I dont know much about Venus, but I got this from the wiki page "With a mean surface temperature of 735 K(462 °C; 863 °F), Venus is by far the hottest planet in the Solar System. "

Venus is shrouded by an opaque layer of highly reflective clouds of sulfuric acid, preventing its surface from being seen from space in visible light.

or are you suggesting sky cities up where it isn't too hot and stuff? I guess that could work, but that would probably need more stuff than just TLR going there alone. haha.

Actually, I wonder if you'd be able to make yourself light enough to just walk on the heavy atmosphere? Idk how it would work. lol

Edited by jag519

I can't get into details, since the way any of this exists is kind of everything I have (I have more, but this is what my father gave me when he told me the idea, so it's kinda more important.)

Now, I am presenting my real opinions and hopes for the future (the book is not necessarily what you'd think it is from this following reasoning, and it doesn't need be):

Yeah, it's hot. Worse, little-to-no oxygen. Not much acid except for clouds, though. You can get water if you bring it or make it.

On Mars, even if you make an ocean, it will vanish to space - the water will be hit by extreme radiation, will separate to oxygen and hydrogen, and both, too light to be bound by such inferior gravity, will escape. That's why there is barely an atmosphere there. And no oceans.

The radiation will be mostly unfiltered, while earth's is extremely tame because we have an atmosphere. This means death to everything alive. Especially death by cancer. I don't see Mars terraformed, but Venus... it just seems highly unlikely. In a millennium or two (and genetic manipulation), it might be a brave new world (WotW anyone?).

Those were real-life reasons for real-life Venusian colonies. In the book itself, it will be somewhat different. And I'm not telling you anything about that right now.

Cool, it sounds like it could be a cool book.

but yeah, most Mars thoughts I have is using Mars to learn how to do things in better places. I feel Venus wouldn't be as much of a good learning spot.  Mars is more of an means to an end, Venus is the end itself. 

That's why most good plans for a colony are usually out of the solarsystem.

I'm not entirely sure what Mars can teach us, really. It will be of a lesser monetary contribution than anywhere earth, unless it has some rare metals, so I hope it will give us lessons to learn. I would like you to tell me, if you would, what you see it can teach.

As for Venus, dealing with new climates (acid rain, slightly acidic atmosphere (maybe; if so, from the rain), extreme winds, and eventually, terraforming (including genetic engineering)) is a subject it could teach well.