Steelhunt

discipleofhoid

I would like to shamelessly beg for a code too.  I won't be able to hit the signing in Seattle because it is on the night that I play in a Skee Ball league.  Plus, I am a huge fan and cannot wait for WOR.

There is always the Tacoma signing.

Edit: nevermind, apparently it is on base and you need a military ID.  I am planning on going to Seattle.  If I am lucky enough to find a code there, I'll share it with you karaoke.  SkeeBall is clearly very important. :P

Edited by Shardlet

We, the staff, have decided that due to the nature of the Steelhunt, and the information provided, we will not allow discussions of the information revealed at this time.

It is not fair to those who may not have a friend within the forums to taunt them with information that they do not have access to.

We have also decided that asking random people for a code is against the spirit of the rules, and will not be allowed.  If you gain a code, and would like to share it with someone, YOU may send it to THEM, but they cannot ask you for it, and you can't post to the forums in general that you have one.

These rules may change as plans are put into action, and as soon as we have more information about what we are working on we will let you know.

Please be aware that any posts after this that do not follow these rules will be hidden.  We thank you for your understanding.

Skee Ball league is very important!!! And a ton of fun!  Thanks Shardlet. I hope you get a code!

I find the whole Steelhunt thing incredibly unfair.  If a person can't make it to the signing or is not one of the lucky 3(!!!) at the signing that gets a code, they miss out on a ton of content that those lucky few will be able to see.   I doubt this is what Brandon intended as it is just going to create a lot of bad feelings.  I am a huge Brandon fan, who has bought many copies of each book (gifts) and I recommend his writing to everyone I know.  The fact that I will have no access to this content is incredibly unfair.  JMHO.

When this was done last time, each subsequent unique code unlocked more content for the masses.  A code could be entered by tons of people to see what was unlocked so far.  The first unique code would unlock content, then after 5 more unique codes were entered, another item was released, and so on and so forth.  I remember people collaborating on if a code had been picked up from a specific location so that we knew if someone had entered it yet and released the content.

From my reading of Brandon's posts, he is not opposed to people sharing codes, he just doesn't want them displayed publicly.  It sounds reasonable to me because there may be a pattern or a secret hidden in the codes themselves.

Edited by karaokeang

I can understand your frustration karaokeang.  I do want to assure you that we admins are working on a solution to the problem, and hopefully will be able to share the new shortly.  (We're just wating to hear from Team Sanderson about the idea, and get the green light).

I did also want to let you know that you are correct about how the codes work.  However, it seems like most of the posts lately are people asking for codes, and Brandon has said specifically he wants this to be a little bit more of a challenge for people to get the information.  Keeping with that request, asking for a code from someone you may not have noticed before isn't what he was wanting.

We, the staff, have decided that due to the nature of the Steelhunt, and the information provided, we will not allow discussions of the information revealed at this time.

It is not fair to those who may not have a friend within the forums to taunt them with information that they do not have access to.

We have also decided that asking random people for a code is against the spirit of the rules, and will not be allowed.  If you gain a code, and would like to share it with someone, YOU may send it to THEM, but they cannot ask you for it, and you can't post to the forums in general that you have one.

These rules may change as plans are put into action, and as soon as we have more information about what we are working on we will let you know.

Please be aware that any posts after this that do not follow these rules will be hidden.  We thank you for your understanding.

Late.

I was checking the forums after some months away and I found about the Steelhunt because someone commented regarding a theory that there is a lot of new information about surges in the Steelhunt excerpt, so I searched the forums and BS page and found about it, to my disappointment. Blissful ignorance, begone.

The comment was this. So that you can hide the chunk about Steelhunt.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll ask a friend who follows BS in twitter to get a code for me if he can, I'm not a twitter or facebook guy and he doesn't like spoilers (and he didn't even start reading WoK because he knows he can't stand to wait for the next book, you see...) but I hope it'll work somehow.

Also, for the rest of us who will probably get no codes, I'm sure BS will release the information later on, once the Steelheart campaign is over, this is just a fun gymkana, not something to disappoints. Of course, he's already disappointing us by not releasing SA books 2 to 10 :angry:

Thank you for letting me know!  I will look through the post to see if anything needs to be hidden.

I am happy to say I just recieved notification from team sanderson about our little surprise, and we will be posting a notification about it soon!  Please be patient for the next week or so, and then all will be revealed, and I think everyone will be happy with the results... ;)

Late.

I was checking the forums after some months away and I found about the Steelhunt because someone commented regarding a theory that there is a lot of new information about surges in the Steelhunt excerpt, so I searched the forums and BS page and found about it, to my disappointment. Blissful ignorance, begone.

The comment was this. So that you can hide the chunk about Steelhunt.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll ask a friend who follows BS in twitter to get a code for me if he can, I'm not a twitter or facebook guy and he doesn't like spoilers (and he didn't even start reading WoK because he knows he can't stand to wait for the next book, you see...) but I hope it'll work somehow.

Also, for the rest of us who will probably get no codes, I'm sure BS will release the information later on, once the Steelheart campaign is over, this is just a fun gymkana, not something to disappoints. Of course, he's already disappointing us by not releasing SA books 2 to 10 :angry:

So let me get this clear:

• I said "there is a lot of new info about surges in Steelhunt excerpt" and didn't post any of that said info anywhere.
  • You went ahead and knowingly searched the forums for spoiler material.
  • Now you think it was my fault you were spoilered.

Is that about the shape of it? Because this is what I gather from what you're saying.

Edited by cem

So let me get this clear:

• I said "there is a lot of new info about surges in Steelhunt excerpt" and didn't post any of that said info anywhere.
  • You went ahead and knowingly searched the forums for spoiler material.
  • Now you think it was my fault you were spoilered.

Is that about the shape of it? Because this is what I gather from what you're saying.

Not at all.

You referenced Steelhunt saying that there is more about surges than what we know so, I, which am an spoiler hunter, got curious and knowingly looked for spoilers. The thing is not about spoilers, I love them and I read every advance BS gives. The thing is that the rules in this topic where set so that people like me, who want to read this material but is most certainly unable to grab a codde, won't get frustrated by being taunted in what is in there but out of reach. I think that's what is contained in your post.

Again, I don't blame you, with many people with codes, with (I guess) juicy information in the secret place and so many theories around, it was just a matter of time that I would find out. Maybe I wrote a bit of a sour post because, understand, it is really frustrating to know there's something there you really want to get but can't.

I apologize deeply for causing discomfort to you with my words. My honest intention was to warn about a taunting post about Steelhunt. It seems there was a hidden purpose, to vent my spleen (yeah, I read Iron Druid also...), and that was inappropiate. So, sorry.  (/bow)

EDIT: By the way, that was only the first post mentioning that in the thread, I just stopped there yesterdat. When I resumed it I realized the whole thread is full of tautings on Steelhunt. I think I'll keep away from the forums until I can read the excerpt...

Edited by Alatar

Man, I'm sorry but the Steelhunt is just not fun. In The Great Hunt, there were puzzles and stuff you could do, and I felt like it brought the community together. We we all working together toward a common goal (decrypting a sample chapter). In the Steelhunt, there is nothing to DO. You either have a code or you don't, which just feels very exclusionary and clique-y, and very un-Brandon-like. I really don't see the point. 

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I know Team Sanderson had good intentions and thought this would be a fun thing for the fans, but in my opinion it has failed. Please let me know if I am just unaware of some awesome fun thing that is happening somewhere, and I will retract my statement.

Man, I'm sorry but the Steelhunt is just not fun. In The Great Hunt, there were puzzles and stuff you could do, and I felt like it brought the community together. We we all working together toward a common goal (decrypting a sample chapter). In the Steelhunt, there is nothing to DO. You either have a code or you don't, which just feels very exclusionary and clique-y, and very un-Brandon-like. I really don't see the point. 

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I know Team Sanderson had good intentions and thought this would be a fun thing for the fans, but in my opinion it has failed. Please let me know if I am just unaware of some awesome fun thing that is happening somewhere, and I will retract my statement.

I agree.  The WoT ones were done much better.  If something was done online from the start instead of weeks going by with nothing, I think no one would be complaining.  The fan base is just too large to not have something online with a limited tour, and I understand he tours a lot and he could want a change of speed to have more family time and more time to write, but someone had to realize they needed an online element to this from the start to keep the fans from getting upset.

I really don't want to complain because God knows we are treated better by Brandon (faster and better books, more tour appearances, facebook updates, etc) than about any fantasy fan base (Jordan, GRRM, etc).  I do appreciate all he does for us, but I think it also needs to be said that the Steelhunt has been handled poorly because he seems to like the idea of doing this, and I hope team Sanderson can learn from it for future book releases.

I think at least part of the reasoning behind this form of the Steelhunt is that not all readers are as dedicated to having an online presence. In other words, something like the Great Hunt was tailored for people who had an interest in participating in an online project. The Steelhunt, on the other hand, is much more... immediately. You find a code, you enter it, there is your reward. No commitment or involvement necessary. 

This being said, the very fact that I am active here means I would prefer the Great Hunt over the Steelhunt. But I think I understand the reasoning behind the latter too.

I think you can figure out what it is exactly* that was revealed to us. Just keep it to yourself :)

* I did not imagine it at all like this. As in, I was waaay off.

EDIT: There should be a "probably" somewhere in there. After some staring at the drawing, I find my confidence dwindling. Though not dramatically.

Edited by Argent

I think it is important to remember that Brandon doesn't have to share all these little spoilers with us.

He would be perfectly within his rights to keep everything to himself until he publishes the book.

I think we should celebrate the generosity of Brandon that he chooses to engage with fans rather than wishing it was better somehow. 

Just look at all the fun we have had since the Seattle signing, with al the KR table info, it has been brilliant!

For me, the anticipation is half the fun and the Steelhunt info has only made that sweeter.

The Steelhunt codes are not terribly difficult to come by. I live in the UK so have not been able to get my own unique code. But I was still able to access the content thanks to the generosity of some 17th Sharders (you knwo who you are)!

I never go involved in the WoT online stuff as I only came to the party after Book 7 was published (The Eye of the World was published when I was 9).

I am going to enjoy reading / looking at / speculating on and theroising about all the information that Brandon chooses to release ahead of  WoR and I will have a blast doing it. Life is too short to get disgruntled about this stuff.

Did we just get a picture of a giant jellyfish with one eye or am I missing something here? I'm kind of disappointed after all this waiting.

I think you can figure out what it is exactly* that was revealed to us. Just keep it to yourself :)

* I did not imagine it at all like this. As in, I was waaay off.

EDIT: There should be a "probably" somewhere in there. After some staring at the drawing, I find my confidence dwindling. Though not dramatically.

Release the Kraken!

Edited by Scott

I think it is important to remember that Brandon doesn't have to share all these little spoilers with us.

He would be perfectly within his rights to keep everything to himself until he publishes the book.

I think we should celebrate the generosity of Brandon that he chooses to engage with fans rather than wishing it was better somehow. 

Just look at all the fun we have had since the Seattle signing, with al the KR table info, it has been brilliant!

For me, the anticipation is half the fun and the Steelhunt info has only made that sweeter.

The Steelhunt codes are not terribly difficult to come by. I live in the UK so have not been able to get my own unique code. But I was still able to access the content thanks to the generosity of some 17th Sharders (you knwo who you are)!

I never go involved in the WoT online stuff as I only came to the party after Book 7 was published (The Eye of the World was published when I was 9).

I am going to enjoy reading / looking at / speculating on and theroising about all the information that Brandon chooses to release ahead of  WoR and I will have a blast doing it. Life is too short to get disgruntled about this stuff.

I'm not saying Brandon has to release these stuff. My question was not rhetorical. I honestly don't understand why what was released was released. So I asked if there was something I was missing.