Steelhunt

discipleofhoid

The rules for the Steelhunt say that we cannot post codes online in an open way but that posting to private forums is ok. So a few questions:

1. Is 17th Shard a private forum - no password is required to read posts so I would lean towards no but maybe?
  2. If 17th shard is not a private forum could we get a topic that is members only set up that would count as a private forum for collaboration on this.
  3. If no to the first two questions does any one have any other ideas on how to collaborate on this?
Edited by discipleofhoid

While a PM or something like it might not be directly against the rules, I don't think we should do so. Just let it be something special for the few lucky ones. Yes, it would be something nice to share with the community, and yes there are only a few hundred active members here, but I just think this is something winners should keep to themselves. I can see someone sharing it with personal friends, but so few of the members here have actually met in real life that it is in a different spirit. I am not telling you what should be done with the codes, this is just what I personally think.

I have got an idea that I want to run past Brandon and the other admins to see if maybe we can come to a happy medium for this.  For now, I am going to say do not post codes.  There will be some hard codes to find, and I would encourage everyone to talk together to try and find these codes, but once the code has been found do not post it to the forums.  We'll update you when we figure out otherwise.

I can't imagine that Brandon included a 10K word WoR excerpt for one of the codes, and intended it for only one person to read, who may not have even read TWoK. As the rules say, (emphasis added)

"If you find a code, as I say above, you can share it with others—but please don’t post it online in an open way. You can direct message it to people, text it to people, or post it on private forums. But if you broadcast it on Twitter/Facebook, etc. we’ll have to disable it."

Based on that, I would think if you post here "Hey, I found a code!" it is your right to share (or not) via PM upon request.

I have got an idea that I want to run past Brandon and the other admins to see if maybe we can come to a happy medium for this.  For now, I am going to say do not post codes.  There will be some hard codes to find, and I would encourage everyone to talk together to try and find these codes, but once the code has been found do not post it to the forums.  We'll update you when we figure out otherwise.

Sounds good - I will wait (im)patiently for further news.:)

The conversation I had with Brandon was "Do not post codes on the site(17th Shard.) Make the other Sharders work for their codes.

So someone saying, "I have a code, who wants it?" would be essentially the same thing, which would ruin the spirit of he event.

You can send it to as many people as you want, so if you wanted to go through and PM everyone you are friends with a code, that would essentially be OK. But posting a code or that you have one and asking who wants it would be violating the spirit of the event and would end up with things like people having to have their picture with their code before their code was activated manually.

Being a. From another country b. In yet another country c. Without friends that share my interest in fantasy literature (in *any* country) (mostly) d. a Ebook user (got Steelheart just a minute after midnight in Pacific Standard) I find myself unable to participate in Steelhunt, which is mildly aggravating. While posting in the thread is obviously against the rules (the posts are publicly visible), I think that some system of distributing the codes over PMs would be nice, be it just "receiver sends 3 PMs to random members" or something like contests/rolls or whatnot.

And to be fair - I wouldn't want someone to just give me the code, that would ruin the fun of it for me - more I would want additional hints from those who had solved a code I was stuck on or a place to bounce ideas about what a hint Brandon has given might mean. I am in Idaho so I can almost guarantee none of the bookstore codes will be near me. 

So I guess now that I have thought it through I don't really have my original question.

Being a. From another country b. In yet another country c. Without friends that share my interest in fantasy literature (in *any* country) (mostly) d. a Ebook user (got Steelheart just a minute after midnight in Pacific Standard) I find myself unable to participate in Steelhunt, which is mildly aggravating. While posting in the thread is obviously against the rules (the posts are publicly visible), I think that some system of distributing the codes over PMs would be nice, be it just "receiver sends 3 PMs to random members" or something like contests/rolls or whatnot.

I second That =(

Is very hard be put aside "only" because we are a few thounsand miles away from the USA, very hard indeed.

Satsuoni, under those circumstances you can watch Twitter/Facebook for events which they are giving away codes, or email Brandon with those circumstances, which he does fully consider when making these sorts of events.

Done and done - I am watching, and I have sent the email :) So far, nothing applicable to a ebook user in Japan :)

I can't imagine that Brandon included a 10K word WoR excerpt for one of the codes, and intended it for only one person to read, who may not have even read TWoK. As the rules say, (emphasis added)

It's not one code, one thing unlocked for one person. It's more along the lines of many codes together can unlock new content that is available to anyone who has one of the codes.

By the way guys, please do not post topics about the content you find in the Steelhunt if you are lucky enough to get an access code. The staff hasn't really decided how we're going to go about dealing with the Steelhunt content yet, but for now, please don't discuss it, or keep it to personal messages. We will let you know as soon as we've decided on a plan. Thanks! :)

In addition to the codes left at the Houston Airport (IAH), Brandon said that he had hidden 2 Steelhunt codes within Murder by the Book (the store he signed at) itself. He gave two hints: (yells angrily with his fists raised in the air) and "Iron Man". My guess was something to do with The Avengers (with the former hinting at The Hulk), but I was unable to find any.

Pooh.

By the way guys, please do not post topics about the content you find in the Steelhunt if you are lucky enough to get an access code. The staff hasn't really decided how we're going to go about dealing with the Steelhunt content yet, but for now, please don't discuss it, or keep it to personal messages. We will let you know as soon as we've decided on a plan. Thanks! :)

We're allowed to beg for codes, right? Cause I'm begging for one too. International reader here, guys. All the way on the other side of the world.

The Chicago hint, should he decide to repeat it, was that the two codes hidden in the store were "around my nemeses." Those ended up being John Scalzi (who I got right immediately) and James Dashner (whose name I had forgotten, but found quickly on the site... unfortunately his books were too spread out and somebody beat me to the code).