Interview and 2 new readings!

Miyabi

Do we know for sure that Heleran was even a Ghostblood? He sure didn't seem to like his father, so I don't see why he would want to be a part of that group. Amaram assumes he's one of them, but he didn't provide any evidence.

"Helaran knew more", which we can take to mean in the context of the quote to mean that Shallan's father spoke about his plans to Helaran. Just because Helaran stood up to his father doesn't mean he wouldn't want to be a Ghostblood, I'd argue.

Besides, who else would want to kill Amaram? Border skirmishes never involved people with Shards. What happened was an anomaly, one best explained by someone trying to assassinate Amaram. I trust Amaram knows his enemies, and those are apparently the Ghostbloods.

What are some characteristics of and how many other wordhoppers are there that we have seen excluding Hoid, Demoux, and Galladon.

You gave me really good wiggle room on that one. Obviously the other person with Galladon and Demoux.

Right, the one from a future book.

His characteristics are… What is he like? Some people have read his book so they know what he’s like…

Which book is he from?

He’s from White Sand.

Ooh! Thanks for asking this one, I'm sure I now know who Blunt is.

Okay, that’s one I have but have not gotten to.

It’s only mediocre so don’t worry about it.  Let’s see what other worldhoppers I want to give you clues about… (long silence) There’s a Terriswoman running around, if you keep your eyes open

So we should be looking for a woman who wears a lot of jewelery. Any thoughts?

I know I'm not the only one who thinks it is Aslydin. She and Demoux were together at the end of well of ascension and as they both survived and Demoux is a worldhopper its been theorized that she is a member of the 17th shard as well. Possibly was a member before as well though that is pure speculation. This quote is the first real evidence we have had for the theory =)

Edited by lord_Ffnord

"Helaran knew more", which we can take to mean in the context of the quote to mean that Shallan's father spoke about his plans to Helaran. Just because Helaran stood up to his father doesn't mean he wouldn't want to be a Ghostblood, I'd argue.

Besides, who else would want to kill Amaram? Border skirmishes never involved people with Shards. What happened was an anomaly, one best explained by someone trying to assassinate Amaram. I trust Amaram knows his enemies, and those are apparently the Ghostbloods.

To continue the thread hijack, Helaran did know more about his father's plans.  This does not necessarily equate to Helaran was a Ghostblood.  It is reasonably possible that Shallan's father was not actually a member of the ghostbloods.  It seems easily possible that Shallan's father was an ambitious Veden noble who the Ghostbloods opted to back in order to get a simpathizer in position as a highprince and ultimately as king of Vedenar.  As such, Helaran could easily have not been a member of the Ghostbloods and could have been killed or disappeared by the Ghostbloods because he chose to take action against them in some fashion.  This scenario strikes me as being at least as possible as the scenario you set forth, Moogle.  Personally, I don't have a favored position on this theory.  But both scenarios strike me as being perfectly reasonable possibilities.

I admit that I thought everyone found the theory obviously correct. Given that people don't share my certainty, I'm willing to lower my estimates by a bit.

It seems easily possible that Shallan's father was an ambitious Veden noble who the Ghostbloods opted to back in order to get a simpathizer in position as a highprince and ultimately as king of Vedenar.

So why give him the Shardblade and Soulcaster? He was obviously keeping it secret, as none of Shallan's brothers wonder where it went. If he were using the Shardblade as a way to show himself off to the public as being important, you'd think he wouldn't keep it private. You don't need one to become Highprince, and those things are valuable. And the idea of Shallan's house, unimportant by all measures, just happening to have a Shardblade seems to be highly unlikely. Somebody lent a Soulcaster to Shallan's father, and Luesh, who was a Ghostblood, knew how to operate the Soulcaster and was aware of its existence. The Ghostblood connection is impossible to ignore, here. The willingness to let Shallan's father in on a secret that important (rather than just providing him with funds) highly suggests he was a member of the organization, rather than simply being backed by it.

Also, Luesh's death. It seems highly likely that Amaram/Restares made some inquiries, found out that the Shardbearer was the missing Helaran, then went to investigate Shallan's family. They found out Luesh was a Ghostblood, and assassinated him. How do you propose to explain Luesh's death except for the fact that he was discovered as a Ghostblood by one of the organizations opposing them? And, to go a step further, how would one of these organizations know to investigate an out-of-the-way rural mostly unknown house unless something lead them to it? Do you think the Ghostbloods killed Luesh, a member of their own organization, themselves?

As such, Helaran could easily have not been a member of the Ghostbloods and could have been killed or disappeared by the Ghostbloods because he chose to take action against them in some fashion.

Possible, but where's the evidence? He 'stood up' to Shallan's father whenever he was raging, but there's not a whole lot to suggest there was actual animosity between them, especially given that Shallan's father let Helaran in on his plans. If Helaran was just plain out murdered, it seems very odd that the Ghostbloods would use a Veden Shardbearer in an Alethi border conflict. It would be suspicious if he was discovered. As well, there's conservation of detail, and Brandon has said he doesn't want to introduce thousands of side-characters like George R. R. Martin in ASOIAF.

(Sorry for sort of derailing this thread. It seems like this sort of thing would work better on its own. Also, sorry if any of my questions come across as antagonistic. I'm really just curious at the alternate explanations, here, and don't want to offend.)

Edited by Moogle

Do we have anything other than conjecture to support that the shardblade came from the Ghostbloods?  I don't deny that Shallan's father was involved with the Ghostbloods in some fashion.  It is quite clear that the soulcaster came from the Ghostbloods.  As to why they did it, consider this scenario:  Luesh, the Davar steward, is a member of the Ghostbloods.  The Ghostbloods are eager to increase their political influence and power.  Luesh informs them that house Davar is heading down a road to financial collapse, but with backing is positioned to rise.  In some fashion, it is agreed upon to provide use of the soulcaster in order to provide financial backing for the house.  The Ghostbloods will also work to establish house Davar as a highprincedom.  In return, the Ghostbloods will receive significant favors and attentions from house Davar thereby giving increased influence to the Ghostbloods.

As to Luesh's death, sometimes people die.  Sometimes it is decidedly inconvenient.  However, it could have been the Ghostbloods who carried it out.  It seems clear that after Shallan's father's death, the Ghostbloods came to collect what was theirs.  Luesh, however, appears to be aiding the Davar family in deceiving and delaying the Ghostbloods in order to help the house.  He may have been motivated by sympathies for the family engendered by many years of service.  If the Ghostbloods found out about the deception, they may well have considered it to be an act of betrayal and took steps to address that betrayal.

As to evidence, this is all conjecture to establish a reasonably plausible alternative set of circumstances within the same evidenciary framework you have provided for the theory you espouse.  And to be fair, you are using a fair amount of conjecture to fill in the blanks as well.  Indeed, conservation of characters is one of the best evidences for the theory over another alternative, but intertangling the character's side stories too much begins to make things hokey in my view.  Besides, this is a 10 volume epic.  There is a lot of room for additional significant characters (including a Veden shardbearer who is a Ghostblood).  Also, sending a mounted shardbearer into an Alethi border conflict (which will be fought largely by second tier soldiers and no other shardbearers) would not likely be considered a particularly big risk.  The way Kaladin killed him was extraordinary and would never have been considered a significant possibility.  Especially since the shardbearer did not enter the fray until Amaram's forces were routed. 

Again, my purpose is not to contest that the shardbearer was Shallan's brother, but rather to propose a reasonable alternative relying upon the same evidence.  I actually have no opinion on this theory at all except that I don't think the evidence is particular strong (compelling, yes) to support any idea currently set forth.

It seems clear that after Shallan's father's death, the Ghostbloods came to collect what was theirs.  Luesh, however, appears to be aiding the Davar family in deceiving and delaying the Ghostbloods in order to help the house.  He may have been motivated by sympathies for the family engendered by many years of service.  If the Ghostbloods found out about the deception, they may well have considered it to be an act of betrayal and took steps to address that betrayal.

I am afraid we must disagree here, as it is unlikely the Ghostbloods were meeting with Nan Balat. The Ghostbloods had Luesh; they had no need to bypass him and talk to Nan Balat. Especially given that the people meeting with Nan Balat didn't ask for the Shardblade back and only apparently knew about the Soulcaster. Something is decidedly fishy, in any case. I can't support this with quotes at the moment (book is at home), but I'll make a gigantic post later.

As to the rest of your post, I find the alternatives to be rather stretched, though it is fair that I am filling in the blanks with conjecture. I simply don't see why the Ghostbloods would offer Shallan's father a Soulcaster rather than just fling money at him. Ultimately, though, I don't think the conjecture matters. The Shardbearer Helaran theory should be considered the most likely given our evidence.

Edited by Moogle

IDK, the soulcaster was secret, known only to Shallan's father, Luesh, the Ghostbloods, and Nan Helaran, all of whom are Ghostbloods according to the theory you espouse.  In view of that, the simplest answer is that the people who came for the soulcaster were Ghostbloods.  It also means something more when someone you don't know comes to collect an illicitly and secretly possessed item rather than your servant good old Luesh.  Luesh is likely a spy, not an enforcer.

As to not just throwing money at Davar, giving the soulcaster and using it to produce quarries gives a reasonably plausible source for the sudden Davar wealth.  Otherwise, the new money would stink like a week-old dead fish.  On top of which, using a soulcaster in that manner is at the very least socially unacceptable if not illegal.  This would give the Ghostbloods additional leverage over Davar.

You are of course perfectly welcome to disagree with any and all of this.  Truly, the prevailing theory is that Kaladin killed Shallan's brother.  Again, my point is simply that there are other perfectly plausible scenarios which may be founded upon the same evidence.  The strange thing is, that as I have discussed this with you, I have more and more convinced myself that this line of conjecture is a plausible theory that should be discussed in its own right. I still don't espouse one way or the other, but this line of reasoning is compelling to me.

I think I will post a thread on this idea later today.  Perhaps it is best that we hold further discussion in abeyance until we can resume it there.

WOW, some fantastic qs asked here and some great answers

EDIT:

The interviewer made it sound like they had a copy of White Sand: how? I'd give my left pinkie to see it!!

Edited by Windrunner
Please don't double post, simply edit your original post. Thanks! :)

Alright. I'm done with the Kaladin reading. Let me know if you find any mistakes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VkGVO97Yq_sw3dV63j0BRw181MoIFvH_QKAYl0WU--w/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks to everyone associated with creating this.  That was great!

I'm not sure, but I think weight would fit better than way in the two places indicated below:

“I’m not a god, Teft,” Kaladin said. “I can’t hold back the way (weight?) of ten armies.” He turned to the other two. “We decided to stay here on the Shattered Plains. Why?”

But storm it, Syl likes Dalinar. That carried away (a weight?) with Kaladin, perhaps more than it should.

I believe the "inintelligible" in the segment below should be "ardent".

slaves kept scraggly, unkempt beards so Bridge Four would be clean-shaven or at least keep their beards neat. Teft’s was light brown where it hadn’t gone gray and he kept it short and square, almost like that of an [unintelligible (ardent)].

Edited by hoser

WOW, some fantastic qs asked here and some great answers

EDIT:

The interviewer made it sound like they had a copy of White Sand: how? I'd give my left pinkie to see it!!

LOL I got it a number of years ago, but still haven't read it. (I'm the interviewer btw. I am horrible at interviewing, I interrupted a lot. D:)

Often times if you email Brandon he will send it out, though it may take a while.

Thanks to everyone associated with creating this.  That was great!

I'm not sure, but I think weight would fit better than way in the two places indicated below:

“I’m not a god, Teft,” Kaladin said. “I can’t hold back the way (weight?) of ten armies.” He turned to the other two. “We decided to stay here on the Shattered Plains. Why?”

But storm it, Syl likes Dalinar. That carried away (a weight?) with Kaladin, perhaps more than it should.

I believe the "inintelligible" in the segment below should be "ardent".

slaves kept scraggly, unkempt beards so Bridge Four would be clean-shaven or at least keep their beards neat. Teft’s was light brown where it hadn’t gone gray and he kept it short and square, almost like that of an [unintelligible (ardent)].

You're welcome.

Yeah, I think "weight" makes more sense in both cases. Done the changes. And thanks for the "ardent".

• 4 months later...

So I'm going to post the transcription here because reasons.  :ph34r:  Oh wait what's this?  Something new on the Interview Database?

M:So the first one we have here is: We’ve seen some hints of the over-arching cosmere story arc, what was the inspiration behind that originally?

B:I had an idea for a book when I was fifteen, just getting into fantasy novels--just getting into meaning, reading everything I could get my hands on and diving in face first--and I developed that idea over the next few years. I started writing and realized I was just no good as a writer yet. Which was okay, it wasn’t a big deal to me. I realized it was beyond my ability to approach, it was a vast, enormous story. Years later when I was writing Elantris I thought “Well let’s just pretend I wrote that book and it was awesome and it’s the prelude to what’s going on here.” That expanded into something much larger and much greater. I’ve mentioned before, part of my inspiration for this was the fact that one of my favorite writers, Asimov, later decided to connect two of his main story universes, the Robot books and the Foundation books. It was really cool when he did it and I felt what would happen if I started doing something like this from the get go. I’ve known several authors who do it at the end of their careers--well I guess Stephen King’s not even at the end of his career, in the middle of his career--saying let me tie a bunch of these things together. What if I seeded all of this from the get go and use this story, this awesome story, that I wasn’t able to write when I was younger as a foundation for it

M:Next one we have is on a similar note: When you reach the end of the cosmere will there be something else? Or do you feel this will take most of your writing career to achieve?

B:Yah, I think this kind of the Story of my writing career. Now, who knows. As I plotted it--right around mid-mistborn series time--I came out with thirty-six books, of which I’ve done what five or six? more than that...

M:Three, four, five, six, seven...

B:Seven. I think there is plenty of time so ask me in thirty years.

M:This one’s kind of similar: When or if you reach the end of that, were you planning on expanding more or were you going to get done with what you had planned and be done with it.

B:That’s really a ask me in thirty years sort of thing. I want to see if I can’t get this whole thing done. I want to do it in-- There’s this sort of tension to it, in that I view this as-- the arc is my life’s work. But at the same time I don’t want to be belaboring it. There are cool things going on that I want to get to and I want to tell people about. And so there’s this push and pull inside of me, wanting to do this. We will see.

M:Are there any eventual plans for release of things like Way of Kings Prime or the old version of Dragonsteel after the new version is released?

B:Once there are no more spoilers in those books I’ll do what I have done with things like White Sand and whatnot, that if people write me-- Mistborn Prime is a good example. There’s no real spoilers in Mistborn Prime if you’ve read the trilogy. It’s not a very good book but you can read it and kind of understand the history of where the story came from. So I’ll do the same thing with those books.

M:How and when are you planning on releasing Sixth of the Dusk, the cosmere short story you wrote for Writing Excuses?

B:Once the entire Writing Excuses team have finished their stories-- If you’re not familiar we did this thing were each brainstormed a story on air and then we went and wrote them and now we are doing revisions on them. Well, Mary went and I wrote ours, Dan and Howard didn’t write theirs, but they’re catching up. Once they are all done, we will release them together in an anthology. We will do, the workshopping episodes that we did, we workshopped each others stories, and you’ll be able to on Writing Excuses read the rough draft, because that will be included in the anthology, listen to the episode where we workshop it and then read the final draft, which will be in the anthology and get the whole-- see what we changed and things like that.

M:Here we move to more clarification type questions or different questions along those lines. Rather than more over-arching questions. We’ve got here: When are we going to see a mechanical way to use the Metallic Arts?

B:Once the technology is appropriately caught up and once I feel like it’s right. It’s going to be a little while.

M:We’ve actually had a conversation on the forums about using lurchers and coinshots in a way to power a train of sorts. (Brandon starts making interested? sounds) It has inspired some interesting conversations.
Will ‘Southern Scadrians have their own series? Or will they just be something mentioned in the next mistborn trilogies? Does anything major take place…

B:We will have to see. Originally they did not have a series but it will depend on how much time I spend deviating with interesting side-stories before I jump up into the second trilogy. Because by the second trilogy, this has all been discovered and its a different world. I have loosely plotted a smaller series visiting the southern continent.

M:This, I’m unsure of what exactly is being talked about because I have not been reading the forum: What happens when a Pulser is burning Cadmium and in a speed bubble? She'd be burning her Cadmium 20x faster than usual--so far as her bubble and those in it were concerned--and her slow bubble would extend far outside the area made "normal" by the effects of the speed bubble, so where does all that extra energy go?

B:Um… Send me that one in writing and let me run it through Peter who is my physicist.

M:We’ll do that.

B:And maybe run the math through Eric. He’s probably asking that one.

M:That was actually-- I think it was Windrunner on the forum. I might be wrong [Transcriber note: Yes, you are. How could you forget Kurkistan?] I think that’s who it was though.

B:He’s supposed to ask me the hard Way of Kings questions, not the hard Mistborn questions.

M:Yah, we’ve got a couple of those a little farther down here but most of these are mostly clarification.
Does mechanical Feruchemy draw from the user or the machine?

B:Let’s see if I can phrase this correctly. Feruchemy-- I don’t want you to guess everything I’m going to do, then the books won’t be interesting for you in the future-- When I’m approaching using them mechanically I’m trying to keep to the core principles of the magic as much as possible.

M:Is burning atium related to Scadrian worldhopping?

B:(laughter) That’s a good question, the answer is no.

M:A lot of people wanted clarification on weight in regards to Pushing and Pulling, whether it has a direct correlation to the power or if its just something people say because generally someone heavier is going to push--

B:Right, right. It’s more-- the whole-- If you really dig down into it, and I’ve talked about this before, the whole mass, weight, push, and pull thing gets a little tricky when-- particularly when you through Feruchemy into the mix-- Are we changing mass? Or are we changing what the earth pulling upon you is… Generally understand that most people who are talking about this are not talking in scientific terms, they are speaking in colloquialisms.

M:This is the last one here we have from Mistborn: Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well’s power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original allomancers that Sazed mentions?

B:Excellent question. He did not use the bead… In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.

M:Now we are going to move more to some questions on Sel: Would it be easy for a Forger who'd once almost lost her arm (freak guillotine accident) to make a stamp to lose it temporarily, or would it require some more involved Forging than "my arm actually got cut off that one time"?

B:No, and-- The more plausible something is the easier the Forging is definitely.

M:Is there a way to reverse the Shaod?

B:Um... (long silence) There is a way to do basically anything.

M:So it’s kind of a RAFO? Will we ever find--

B:No that’s not what they asked, they asked if there is a way. Yes there is but how reasonable a way that is is very--

M:Especially with the Lake where they can release themselves in.
Is Resealing a subset of Forging, or a separate system like Bloodsealing is?

B:Um… (another long silence) I’m trying to remember what I decided-- I was building all of this on a fourteen hour plane flight keep in mind-- I believe it is… Let’s go ahead and PAFO that one. I need to go to my notes. I can give you a tentative “I believe it is the same system and not a cousin system” but at the end of the day I kind of had to go to my notes and work things out. There was lots of wiggle room built into the Elantris magic system but I have to know what I decided.

M:There are only a few more: Did seons exist when the Aonic peoples discovered Elantris?

B:When the Aonic peoples discovered Elantris… did seons exist… Okay let me go back to my timeline (long silence) It kind of means you have to define what you mean by Aonic. The problem is if you dig back too far in history its kind of like asking “what’s a german?” You know what I mean? [Transcriber’s note: Curses! I should have clarified that…]

M:Because the Aons are based upon Elantris itself and so they don’t become Aonic until they are writing the Aons.

B:And Aonic is also-- you are talking about the people and so its like are the Normans Brits? Or are they Vikings? Or are they Frenchman?

M:Why don’t we phrase it as the people of Sel when they discovered Elantris.

B:No, no, that’s getting, okay-- (long silence) Let’s go ahead and RAFO that one, just because the history of Elantris is very interesting to the cosmere. When people are starting to get an inkling of that.

M:Odium was there once upon a time.

B:Yah… And the question of who built Elantris and how they built Elantris. What’s going on with the Elantrians back then and things like this. So let’s just RAFO that.

M:What year did the Reod occur in the Elantrian calender?

B:Let’s go ahead and-- oh boy, Elantrian calendar… Is this Windy? [Transcriber’s note: Nope, Mwahaha]

M:I don’t remember who asked this one, I don’t have their names written down here.

B:I don’t have my wiki on me, I’m not going--

M:Okay, and is the word Hoed based off an Aon and if so which one?

B:Yes, it is. It would be Hoe… no Oed, O-E-D

M:And here is the last one for Sel: Does Shu-Keseg predate the splintering of Devotion and Dominion?

B:No, I don’t believe it does.

M:We only have one here from Nalthis, this one’s a little bit tricky. Can you store Breath in metal without the Eighth Heightening? Just put it there without awakening, just to hide the Breath.

B:Can you hide Breath… Yes you can hide Breath in things.

M:Metal in particular, without the Eighth Heightening. (talking over each other to explain question)

B:I would say yes you could.

M:What are some characteristics of and how many other wordhoppers are there that we have seen excluding Hoid, Demoux, and Galladon.

B:You gave me really good wiggle room on that one. Obviously the other person with Galladon and Demoux.

M:Right, the one from a future book.

B:His characteristics are… What is he like? Some people have read his book so they know what he’s like…

M:Which book is he from?

B:He’s from White Sand.

M:Okay, that’s one I have but have not gotten to.

B:It’s only mediocre so don’t worry about it. Let’s see what other worldhoppers I want to give you clues about… (long silence) There’s a Terriswoman running around, if you keep your eyes open.

M:I have to read it, everything.

B:Who else do I want to talk about… Words of Radiance has a couple good ones, that will be pretty obvious.

M:When do you plan on releasing the Way of Kings annotations?

B:I’ve only written about a quarter of them. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will take me a few years just because its taken me three and a half years to get the second book out. So I feel a burden to get the books going before I do side things like this. My life got a whole lot more busy with the Wheel of Time than it used to be. Which has cut out some of my side-projects like this but I would like to do them eventually.

M:Why can Rock see Syl?

B:Ooh, good question, why do you think Rock can see Syl?

M:My personal theory here is because his people have such a strong belief and reverence in them it allows him to see them for that reason because his belief creates some sort of cognitive or spiritual pressure which allows them--

B:He would agree with that philosophy. I would say, usually when something like that happens there is also something physiological going on.

M:And this is one of my side theories that I espouse here. Is that kind of similar to the reason why there are no spren in Shinovar is because the people there so disbelieve them that it creates a negative pressure that keeps them from physical manifestation?

B:Good question.

M:Would Rock be able to see the Cryptics?

B:Would Rock be able to see a Cryptic? That is a good question, you will have to see.

M:Is Shallash the daughter of Jezrien?

B:Umm… Oh, yes, she is his daughter.

M:Two more questions here: Do bigger gems store more stormlight for longer than smaller gems? So a broam would hold it for twenty hours where a chip might hold it for six hours or something.

B:The cut of the gem and how flawless the gem is has more to do with how long the stormlight stays than size.

M:And the last one we have here is: Is it possible to use a soulstamp to give shardplate life or at least achieve a robotic status?

B:Wow, it is really, really hard to invest things that have already been invested. Let’s just say that, it is really hard to do that. Part of the reason why it is difficult for instance to push or pull on something that is inside of somebody because the investiture is interfering and you would have that similar problem doing anything to shardplate with any of the magics.

And I think the two PAFO's are still unresolved, perhaps Peter can take mercy on us at help us out?

This, I’m unsure of what exactly is being talked about because I have not been reading the forum: What happens when a Pulser is burning Cadmium and in a speed bubble? She'd be burning her Cadmium 20x faster than usual--so far as her bubble and those in it were concerned--and her slow bubble would extend far outside the area made "normal" by the effects of the speed bubble, so where does all that extra energy go?

Is Resealing a subset of Forging, or a separate system like Bloodsealing is?