Steelheart - Calamity seems much like a 'shard' to me

Mikanium

• 6 months later...

I think Brandon just thinks of magic in terms of shard relations at this point. Though it makes me wonder how they managed to reproduce the effects in weapons if there isn't a scientific effect going on.

There are two, not necessarily mutually exclusive, possibilities for that.

First, our only known actual technological reproduction of an Epic's powers is the gun from the weapons dealer. It appears to be a coilgun that energizes a projectile, and there is no specific reason aside from power requirements and materials that we couldn't make a similar device today. The explosion is apparently a bit strange, but mostly it's just a very large energy release. So it might be that the weapon is simply inspired by the Epic but works on different principles.

Second, apparently the black market runs off genetic samples from Epics. Now, if they're making mechanical reproductions of Epic powers, that doesn't make much sense. They'd want the physical structures associated with the powers, assuming there is such a thing. However, if the powers don't have a specific physical manifestation but are instead linked to the life of the individual, that would imply that any of their living cells could use their powers. Including ones separated from their bodies, placed in cryogenic storage, and eventually integrated into a machine.

Calamity does have the qualities resembling a Shard. Not sure if the Reckoner series actually counts as part of the Cosmere Shard system. It does have a unique sense of humor, giving humans so they can bring calamity upon themselves.

When I first read Steelheart, I thought that Calamity was a Shard. I was actually poring over the text trying to find his/her Shardpool before I did additional research and found out Reckoners wasn't in the Cosmere. :P

I suppose the fact that Hoid wasn't in it should have tipped me off though.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Calamity is a Shard that not only world-hopped but system-jumped from the Cosmere into another system. Just speculating. :unsure:

I was also thinking about this. What if a shard accidentally went dimension hopping and end up on Earth. Wouldn't it be great to see world hoppers from the Cosmere come to Earth to retrieve the Calamity shard? What if the intent of Calamity is to cause bad events to test the faith of man as what was also mentioned in the book? The Epics were even considered as forces of nature or 'calamities' like that of a storm or an earthquake. This is a good way to do a crossover and maybe have a new shard whose sentience is from Earth go to the Cosmere.   

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, calamity has something of a shard. Just a coincidence, I think. Or sanderson being used to think in a certain way.

I was also thinking about this. What if a shard accidentally went dimension hopping and end up on Earth. Wouldn't it be great to see world hoppers from the Cosmere come to Earth to retrieve the Calamity shard? What if the intent of Calamity is to cause bad events to test the faith of man as what was also mentioned in the book? The Epics were even considered as forces of nature or 'calamities' like that of a storm or an earthquake. This is a good way to do a crossover and maybe have a new shard whose sentience is from Earth go to the Cosmere.   

No, it would not be great. If worldhoppers were to appear on earth, there would be some huge cataclysm and a collapse of civilization. enough dead people to make the second world war look like a ffriendly disputation between neighboors.

Then, mankind will ultimately survive the big treath and recover better than it was before. Like we did after second world war... So, no, I'd rather not see any worldhopper.

If you meet a guy who goes by the name "hoid" and seem able to do tr4icks with light, tell me immediately, I'll pack as much food as i can and go live in the bottom of a cave for a few years.

If you meet a guy who goes by the name "hoid" and seem able to do tr4icks with light, tell me immediately, I'll pack as much food as i can and go live in the bottom of a cave for a few years.

Hmm... Conflux has a very Hoidish personality. Wonder if he is...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe Calamity is a Shard that not only world-hopped but system-jumped from the Cosmere into another system. Just speculating.  :unsure:

wouldn't that make Calamity 'the seventeenth shard'...

actually I feel like that describes us quite aptly.

• 7 months later...

I am thinking that the reason brandon states that the earth and calamity are outside of the cosmere, might be because the cosmere is the aftermath of earth, calamity and it's epics destruction. We are always offered clues that the shards are exactly that--shards of something that fractured before. ..perchaps that something was our universe; and the fears and beliefs of the most powerful épics on earth manifested into shards. Hey...it seemed the epics liked swords as well!! There are múltiple possibilities and i am sure i have only scratched the surface, (and there is also megans alternate reality powers that could play directly into it). And we cant rule out that she will not be vastly strong er in the next book...remember that she never fully embraced her powers before and never achieved her "glory" now that she has faced her fears she may have sidestepped the madness and gañí de the glory...may be it is a type oft est. Regardless, it always Struck me as odd that the shards had the ñames of such human emotions. Any way....just a thought

@Aidandog: The Cosmere is a dwarf galaxy, apparently, so Megan will have to do some major intergalactic reality-warping in order to make Earth part of the Cosmere. Also, the sixteen people who held the Shards of Adonalsium are from the planet Yolen, where Hoid is also from. Definitely not Earth.

Edited by skaa

I read somewhere, in the bellies of the internet, that when Brandon sat down to write Reckoners, he originally planned it to be Cosmere. At some point down the road he changed it because he didn't want Earth, in any form, in the Cosmere. So much of his planning happened with him in the mindset of writing a Cosmere novel.

I can't find where I read that.

I read somewhere, in the bellies of the internet, that when Brandon sat down to write Reckoners, he originally planned it to be Cosmere. At some point down the road he changed it because he didn't want Earth, in any form, in the Cosmere. So much of his planning happened with him in the mindset of writing a Cosmere novel.

I can't find where I read that.

Ooh, interesting! That's exactly the same situation as the Rithmatist. I hope someone could find that WoB about Reckoners.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also open to the possibility that the "Brandonverse" is a broader scope than the Cosmer and encompasses all his works. The core assumption being that all "magic" (or, in the case of Reckoners, super powers... effectivley magic) comes from "shards". Now the Cosmere and the Reckoners may never meet, never interact and almost certainly will have nothing to do with each other. But somewhere in the back of his head he might still be thinking, "This is how it all works... "

I'd be perfectly okay with that.

• 4 weeks later...

There is one reason above all others why the Reckoners should be Cosmere:

Mistborn battle in Newcago

Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

I wonder how many steel lines would occur from a city that's just a block of steel cut open in places?

I guess more skilled people (especially savants) have been shown manifesting multiple lines in a single object, but still.

I wonder how many steel lines would occur from a city that's just a block of steel cut open in places?

I guess more skilled people (especially savants) have been shown manifesting multiple lines in a single object, but still.

I'm guessing that even the weakest Mistborn/Lurcher/Coinshot would figure out that solid blocks of steel have more than one steel line if they got a chance to fight in Newcago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic