Twinborn

Silus - Shard of Flame

Alright, so I think the concept of Twinborn is amazing and I'm more than glad Brandon went with it. I am tempted to say I'd choose to be a Twinborn over a Mistborn but I don't think I'll know the answer to that until I've read more about it.

Were I a Twinborn, I think I'd have to go with the classic Allomantic steel and Feruchemantic iron. The idea of being way more effective as a Coinshot is appealing to me. However, it is likely that I'll change my opinion after reading some other people's ideas.

In terms of mobility, I think that Iron/Iron would be the best. But the possibilities are awesome, so I think I'll ponder other things.

Yea, I could see that. Your post on iron Misting almost converted me to the ways of pulling instead of pushing. You haven't turned me yet, but you might.

atium atium? imortality, yes please. I think this question is a little unfair, because because having both an allomantic and feruchemical power of one metal you could burn your stores. I think I would like allomantic pewter and a physical feruchemical power, either speed or strength.

atium atium? imortality, yes please. I think this question is a little unfair, because because having both an allomantic and feruchemical power of one metal you could burn your stores. I think I would like allomantic pewter and a physical feruchemical power, either speed or strength.

It makes me wonder if there is a special name for a Twinborn which has both abilities in the same metal.

I'd have to choose Allomantic brass and Feruchemical zinc. Soothing + mental speed? Heck yes. The mental aspects always appeal to me more than the physical ones.

I would go either with both zinc, both steel, or possibly both gold. Limitless mental speed is most appealing to me (makes for the perfect mastermind), but limitless speed or healing also sound very interesting (I am reminded of The Flash and Wolverine). It makes me really wonder what the unknown Feruchemical powers are.

Brandon has said they might be emotion storing. Which I think would be really cool. I've mentioned this in another thread, but I can totally see an emotional drug culture revolving around them and the various tricks for multiplying it.

And also, the opposite direction, +zinc (or other 'minds) for Vulcan levels of awesomeness :D

• 1 month later...

I have a question. If you were an allomantic pewter + feruchemic pewter Twinborn and you burned pewter while storing into other pewter, would you have, essentially, a stored burining of pewter?

aside from that, I would choose, allomantic tin (so I can't be snuck up on) + feruchemic steel (I like to run) Twinborn.

I have a question. If you were an allomantic pewter + feruchemic pewter Twinborn and you burned pewter while storing into other pewter, would you have, essentially, a stored burining of pewter?

So we're storing pewter into a pewtermind, but we're burning a regular Allomantic reserve of pewter? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

So we're storing pewter into a pewtermind, but we're burning a regular Allomantic reserve of pewter? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

As I understood it, the suggestion is to store physical strength inside a pewtermind while burning pewter, which could theoretically massively increase the speed/efficiency of filling the pewtermind.

Fell

Oh, gotcha, that makes sense.

In that case I think that trick would work. I see no reason why it wouldn't. The only limitation, then, would be the amount of metal you have.

So there's two different things you can do:

• fill an ingested metalmind whilst burning it: what the Lord Ruler did (?) but 'faster', might be useful for eeking a little bit more power out of allomancy, when you can sacrifice the effect of feruchemy.
  • burn and store the effects in a metalmind: the trick being discussed, might be useful for storing without the effects.

I'm pretty sure that what the Lord Ruler did is that he put some age into his atium-metal minds, then when he wanted a pretty face, he would burn it. This let TLR turn atium from a "future" metal to a "age" metal, and let most of the power come from the power of creation.

As I understood it, the suggestion is to store physical strength inside a pewtermind while burning pewter, which could theoretically massively increase the speed/efficiency of filling the pewtermind.

Fell

I was under the impression that this is exactly what the Lord Ruler did to gain his "immortality." He stored some of his age in metal, burned the metal, and then stored all the age from the burned metal so that he could slowly draw from that because Allomancy "uses bursts and flares. The Lord Ruler wouldn't have wanted all that youth at once." (Mistborn paperback pg. 635). Thus this process of burning a metal and storing it in a metal mind would give you more power than what you would naturally have. Since it works for atium, I see no reason why it shouldn't work for other metals.

I was under the impression that this is exactly what the Lord Ruler did to gain his "immortality." He stored some of his age in metal, burned the metal, and then stored all the age from the burned metal so that he could slowly draw from that because Allomancy "uses bursts and flares. The Lord Ruler wouldn't have wanted all that youth at once." (Mistborn paperback pg. 635). Thus this process of burning a metal and storing it in a metal mind would give you more power than what you would naturally have. Since it works for atium, I see no reason why it shouldn't work for other metals.

This sounds right to me. The age trick is clearly the most spectacular one in terms of sheer "Huh?" factors, but it also probably explains some of the Lord Rulers other tricks, like crazy-fast speed and the like. Vin couldn't have beat him without realizing what his trick was. A full Feruchemist/Mistborn is seriously overpowered.

But the things like super-soothing, those are probably what Brandon meant when he said that his more spectacular tricks were pulled off with hemalurgy.

I always interpreted that as his ability to create and control constructs, like the the Koloss and the Kandra. Unless you think he spiked a soother at some point? Given his disdain for the Steel Inquisitors expressed at the end of MB1, I doubt it.

I always interpreted that as his ability to create and control constructs, like the the Koloss and the Kandra. Unless you think he spiked a soother at some point? Given his disdain for the Steel Inquisitors expressed at the end of MB1, I doubt it.

He created the constructs when he was at the Well of Ascension, the ones created after that were through his knowledge of Hemalurgy (gained at the Well) rather than powers from it.

His control over them was from his being more powerful than a 'lerasium'-allomancer, who have the abilities to control them (see: Kandra's secret).

His over-powerfulness either comes from being the Sliver of Infinity, in which case he modified himself using the power to make himself pretty beefy, else it comes from spikes. Could it have come from the metal minds? being that they pierced his skin could they have been invested before hand? I didnt know he was spiked otherwise. Could they be invested via his own blood? Pretty crazy if so...(waits for someone to come and kick him for thinking such stupid things)

The copper-piercing is a power of Hermalurgy.

Sazed also says, however, "All he would have to do was spend the occasional bit of time aged to give himself Feruchemical storages to burn and stay young."

And here I thought we were talking about something a little different with Feruchemy. You're storing some age, but simultaneously, you're burning that metalmind. That burning would give a net gain immediately. So in this potential Feruchemy-Allomancy trick, you're not really spending time aged; you immediately get that power back.

Of course, we do see that the Lord Ruler spends time aged, so I don't know that you can do this. For some reason. (Or Brandon hadn't thought of it.)

He created the constructs when he was at the Well of Ascension, the ones created after that were through his knowledge of Hemalurgy (gained at the Well) rather than powers from it.

His control over them was from his being more powerful than a 'lerasium'-allomancer, who have the abilities to control them (see: Kandra's secret).

His over-powerfulness either comes from being the Sliver of Infinity, in which case he modified himself using the power to make himself pretty beefy, else it comes from spikes. Could it have come from the metal minds? being that they pierced his skin could they have been invested before hand? I didnt know he was spiked otherwise. Could they be invested via his own blood? Pretty crazy if so...(waits for someone to come and kick him for thinking such stupid things)

The copper-piercing is a power of Hermalurgy.

What happyman means is that it is through the Hemalurgic flaw in the kandra and koloss's minds which allowed the Lord Ruler to manipulate them in the first place.

And his over-powerfulness is, as stated by Sazed, something all the original ten Allomancers had.

I always assumed that the Lord Ruler was a brass savant, from all his Soothing. I don't think that's much of a stretch to say.

Sazed also says, however, "All he would have to do was spend the occasional bit of time aged to give himself Feruchemical storages to burn and stay young."

And here I thought we were talking about something a little different with Feruchemy. You're storing some age, but simultaneously, you're burning that metalmind. That burning would give a net gain immediately. So in this potential Feruchemy-Allomancy trick, you're not really spending time aged; you immediately get that power back.

Of course, we do see that the Lord Ruler spends time aged, so I don't know that you can do this. For some reason. (Or Brandon hadn't thought of it.)

With the original pewter example, you weren't actually burning a metalmind, just burning pewter and storing it into a metalmind. So you're not simultaneously burning the metalmind and storing into it at the same time.

As to being able to store energy into a metalmind that you're burning... theoretically you could have this cycle of energy that just keeps multiplying itself until the metalmind is burned out to the point where it reaches insane over 9000 levels and you can pretty much destroy anything. But you have to keep in mind that the metalmind is being burned and constantly shrinking, thus can't store as much power as time goes on. (I think. I don't remember if the amount of energy stored in a metalmind is dependent on its size.) But you'd need to have some sort of seed power to start that cycle.

And on Hemalurgy, isn't the amount of influence Ruin has over a person related to how significantly they've been spiked? If the Lord Ruler had been significantly enhanced through Hemalurgy, I'd think Ruin would have had a much easier time controlling him. And I don't see the Lord Ruler being able to create the caverns and effectively hide the atium if Ruin can control him.

Edited by Zayde

And his over-powerfulness is, as stated by Sazed, something all the original ten Allomancers had.

I always assumed that the Lord Ruler was a brass savant, from all his Soothing. I don't think that's much of a stretch to say.

But they got their power from Lerasium, same as Elend, but he could never pull off some of the things TLR did, like the massive crowd Soothings. I thought he was doing with with Hemalurgy.

With the original pewter example, you weren't actually burning a metalmind, just burning pewter and storing it into a metalmind. So you're not simultaneously burning the metalmind and storing into it at the same time.

As to being able to store energy into a metalmind that you're burning... theoretically you could have this cycle of energy that just keeps multiplying itself until the metalmind is burned out to the point where it reaches insane over 9000 levels and you can pretty much destroy anything. But you have to keep in mind that the metalmind is being burned and constantly shrinking, thus can't store as much power as time goes on. (I think. I don't remember if the amount of energy stored in a metalmind is dependent on its size.) But you'd need to have some sort of seed power to start that cycle.

I thought you stored in a metalmind, burned that metalmind and then put the new power into a different metalmind, so that you don't burn the metalmind you're storing in, thus not limiting your ability to store.
And on Hemalurgy, isn't the amount of influence Ruin has over a person related to how significantly they've been spiked? If the Lord Ruler had been significantly enhanced through Hemalurgy, I'd think Ruin would have had a much easier time controlling him. And I don't see the Lord Ruler being able to create the caverns and effectively hide the atium if Ruin can control him.

Remember that the Well of Ascension was still actively holding Ruin back during TLR's entire reign. He couldn't take him over because of that.