[Spoilers] What did you think?

Havoc

I liked this book. Perhaps, I just like examining "super"-genre, but nevertheless - it was quite a good read. Though yes, similarities to Mistborn are visible... but I consider that Brandon will make quite unusual twists in future.

What I assumed and was wrong:

- Prof being an Epic was somehow elusive for me, though it was hinted at. Perhaps I was just carried away by the narration.

- I guessed Firefight as a "false Epic" at the very beginning of David's explanation, but thought wrong about his nature: I thought public Firefight to be not an illusion, but a fire construct, created by pyromantic Epic.

- I was not original to assume "David is a latent Epic" after the elevator shaft scene.

What I really regret for is that first-person narrative prevented us from seeing Prof vs Steelheart fight. I would like to see a mentalist Epic introduced in future books only to see that scene.

Slontze, unless my memory betrays me, is the Russian word for "sun" - which would've been an interesting Newcago curse, given its circumstances, but I can't imagine why anyone not local would use it...

Sorry for adding to the post which was written months ago. But "sun" is Russian is "solntze", a bit different word. Though it could be warped, entering another language.

I finished it about 10 minutes ago and want to get my thoughts down.

LOVED IT.

Brandon continues to be a master plotweaver and sets up his endings with lots of twists, but I think I'm getting better at guessing them.

I figured out about Steelheart's weakness fairly early on, though I doubted it several times throughout due to a lack of anyone who could actually DO it, and then Brandon turns it around on me by showing me that there's obviously one person that ISN'T afraid of Steelheart.

I knew that the Reckoner tech had to be power related in some way, it was just too power like when David used it to make it really feel like tech.  I just wasn't sure how until Prof said for him to do it anyway despite the broken device, and then it clicked that he HAD to be an Epic, and then that ensuing fight against the soldiers (and his change in personality after) nailed it down for me.  I didn't realize that the harmsway and the shield jackets were part of it until the end.

The one thing that just totally and completely took me by surprise was Megan, her "death" took me off guard, and I thought it just a THINGS GETTING SERIOUS death for a bit (I should have known better than to think that Brandon would do that).  I fell for the "she's just an illusion" thing in the stadium, and had no clue what was going on until David put the pieces together for me.  I had seen that the name of the sequel was Firefight and this just put whole new meaning to it for me.  I had been trying to figure out what the sequel name would mean and how it would relate to the structure of the series for just about the whole book.

I was really glad that Megan got to sort of live, since the blossoming romance between him and David was something I was actually really enjoying.

One thing that I didn't particularly like was Cody being both a Scotsman and a Southerner, I could never smooth out the dichotomy in my head and he always just had a scottish accent when I saw his lines.  He's a great character, and I liked him being a not real scotsman, but trying to connect the two accents was just weird for me.

Lots of different stuff, but it boils down to it being just a great book.  I like how it just had a very different tone overall to any of his other books.

• 9 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic