Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

I recently read the name of the wind, and I really liked it, but I'm not going to have time to read the next book for a long time. I though it was very well written, but the magic just pales so much to what I'm used to with BS

The magic of the Kingkiller Chronicle is not in the magic system itself or even the plot, like it is in Brandon's books, but rather in the sheer beauty of the books themselves, the story, all the thought put into them, and the writing.

(Although Rothfuss's magic systems are really cool too. He just doesn't explore them very thoroughly.)

I wouldn't go so far as to say he is the "opposite" of Brandon in "many" ways. The only one I can really think of at this time is that Rothfuss is much more of a gardener while Brandon is an architect (to use George RR Martin's terminology). Both have very detailed worlds. (Rothfuss's is, IMHO, more detailed than any of Brandon's except Roshar; we just have yet to explore it as thoroughly.) Both have magic systems that make sense when applied to real-world physics (once again, we just haven't really gotten to push their limits like we have Brandon's.) Both have very strong characters and character development. Both choose their words very carefully. Overall, I would say that they are not as different as one may think.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read these since just after WMF came out but I do have a theory to share with virtually no support and certainly no quotes. 

The story of Chronicler is more accurate then Kote knows. 

His sympathy failed after he explained it.

His fighting failed after he explained that and we know he was still formidable the day before.

I suspect now he's also a lousy lover and he may have told to much to even bake a decent pie.

I was actually wondering about that a few months back. The Name of the Wind is a pretty obvious choice - must of Kvothe's journey is inspired by his desire to learn the Name of the wind and some real magic. The Wise Man's Fear is not nearly as clear. One interpretation is that Kvothe (or Kote) is the "gentle man" whose anger is to be feared by wise men. This is certainly backed up by the events around Kote, Bast, and the Chronicler - the innkeeper is a pretty gentle man, but as the proverbial shite hits the metaphorical fan, more and more of Kvothe starts to resurface. I am fairly confident he started practicing his ketan at the end of the second book.

Another interpretation of the title is that Kvothe faces all the things a wise man should fear - and he does it fearlessly. Which would make him a fool, but that may or may not be besides the point. The point is that all three fears lead to big changes in Kvothe's life. His ship gets wrecked by a storm (and pirates) on the way to Vintas (?), where he does some serious growing up and even secures himself some finances; he meets Felurian during a moonless night, and that proves pretty educational in more ways than just one; the angry gentle man stumps me a little though =\

The gentle man as I see it can be explained if you say gentle woman. By either Vashet in Ademre or Meluen Lackless.

Also I really enjoyed these books and I think it may be time for a reread in a effort to get my mind off the wait for SA3

Absoultely love Rothfuss writing style between character development and the magic system he created I am in love with his books. Only 2 but the anticipation is killing me.. How cool would a Rothfuss/Sanderson teamup be??!!

Brandon has joked several times now that he would like to do a writing experiment with Pat where they take turns writing a few characters who compete against each other. Before the book is over, they would send it to George R. R. Martin, and he would decide who lives and who dies.

It probably won't happen, but it's a fun idea.

Brandon has joked several times now that he would like to do a writing experiment with Pat where they take turns writing a few characters who compete against each other. Before the book is over, they would send it to George R. R. Martin, and he would decide who lives and who dies.

It probably won't happen, but it's a fun idea.

Thats great.. I did see they were at Jordon Con together and if anyone watches Tabletop on youtube they would see Rothfuss thier making some jokes.

Well except that Martin kill all characters, so that wouldn't work.

I just finished WMF, and while I enjoyed the first half the second half wasn't my cup of tea at all.(From Felurian on)

Now that he's back at the university I hope it gets better.

Well except that Martin kill all characters, so that wouldn't work.

I just finished WMF, and while I enjoyed the first half the second half wasn't my cup of tea at all.(From Felurian on)

Now that he's back at the university I hope it gets better.

For some reason I love the University the most. 

Same reason a lot of people thought Harry Potter lost a lot of flavor when he left Hogwarts. For me I think I like that it sets so many rules for interactions. There is also a lot of magic/fantasy in those locations naturally and you don't need an excuse for their occurrence other than "that's what someone else at school is working on."

I think the reason people like the University and Hogwarts so much is that people instinctively appreciate balanced, focused systems - case in point, look at what our obsession with Brandon's magic systems. The schools, as institutions presented as having a lot of history, having working by-products, and remaining stable without being boring, are things we're fascinated with. We can see the slots in the world there where we could fit in, as opposed to the more individual nature of the adventurer or traveller.

I think the reason people like the University and Hogwarts so much is that people instinctively appreciate balanced, focused systems - case in point, look at what our obsession with Brandon's magic systems. The schools, as institutions presented as having a lot of history, having working by-products, and remaining stable without being boring, are things we're fascinated with. We can see the slots in the world there where we could fit in, as opposed to the more individual nature of the adventurer or traveller.

Great point. I was also thinking of how much characters progress in so many different ways when they attend school. I'm especially fond of magic progression, which is what both schools strive to provide. But yeah, it's very easy to identify with the characters when they are at school. I agree with Caleb; I'm so excited for the next book now that he is back at the University. Glad it's long, because lots of things suggest he won't be there for quite a bit of it.

Completely agree with Swimmingly and Bloodfalcon as to why the academic settings work so well. But I enjoyed his travel time as well, and his time "in the future" when he's telling his story were some of my favorites. Seeing the character develop into what he is in those scenes is nice.

Also I'm going to need to re-read both books when 3 comes out. Thanks for necro-ing this post to remind me.

I feel like Kvothe will not spend too much time at the University in book 3, however. As good as the setting is, I don't think it can handle its own full book, and based on all the legend-making Kvothe has to do left I feel he will still have a lot of travelling to do.

I do really enjoy the modern snip-its. And there were a few parts of the Adem that I liked, such as the razor leaf tree.

I agree with Pilgrim, the first 200-300 pages will be at the university and then things get serious. There's just too much left to do for him to stay at the university for a really long time. (Much as I would like for him to do)