Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

I just read and finished the books, so I haven't really had to wait much yet, so I can't weigh in on anything regarding that.

But one thing I wanna say about Kvothe, yeah he fits the typical "Alpha Male/White Knight" with a severe flaw when handling females, it's a little bit of a well-known archetype, but what Rothfuss does differently, I think, is make us sympathize for Kvothe in a different way. His story has done nothing but show us how human he actually is. He may do/experience extraordinary things, but he still feels really strong, normal emotions that any of us can empathize with. And that is done through the artistry of his writing, no doubt.

No idea what to expect in Book 3 - Rothfuss has pretty much said that Kvothe/Kote is "an unreliable narrator" so who knows how much of what he's dictating to Chronicler is real?

I agree with everyone's feelings re: Auri. For her, no less than the other characters, there's ta sense of impending tragedy. Usually I don't like books that are so relentlessly sad, but these characters and the world-building make the series worthwhile.

Re: Bast - maybe this is already on some forum or in Tor's re-read already; I don't have time to read everything (alas) - but I have a sneaking suspicion that "reshi" doesn't mean teacher. What if it means "arch-enemy"? And he's trying to bring back the old Kvothe so that they can resume a battle of some kind? I'm not putting a ton of belief into this theory, but I think it's interesting.

I just wish Mr. Rothfuss could take a dose of Brandon's speediness! The waiting is awful!

Nah, that would mess up his style. Brandon writes windows to worlds, so you can see through the glass. His writing is all about making that glass as clear as possible. Rothfuss's writing is more like a sculpture, painted exactly, beautiful in form. There's another dimension to it. Unfortunately, it takes longer to make a sculpture than a window.

• 1 month later...

You know, I always kind of wish authors would refrain from putting short stories related to their worlds in anthologies. I always want to buy them to get the story, and then feel obliged to read the whole anthology (since they are so expensive) whether I want to or not. I would rather the stories just be put on authors' sites. Sorry, little tangent I had to get out.

Yea, I hear you on that one. I bought Dangerous Women only for Brandon's Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (I swear he chose this name only because they wouldn't let him write a 300,000 word short story for an anthology...) and Jim Butcher's Bombshells. I think I read two of the other short stories there, started another one, and gave up. I'll probably come back to it one day, but it's not going to be soon.

You know, I always kind of wish authors would refrain from putting short stories related to their worlds in anthologies. I always want to buy them to get the story, and then feel obliged to read the whole anthology (since they are so expensive) whether I want to or not. I would rather the stories just be put on authors' sites. Sorry, little tangent I had to get out.

That's kind of the point ;)

No idea what to expect in Book 3 - Rothfuss has pretty much said that Kvothe/Kote is "an unreliable narrator" so who knows how much of what he's dictating to Chronicler is real?

It's mentioned by Kvothe's father via Kvothe, and agreed upon by Chronicler at the beginning of NotW that stories require some embellishment or even lies to be believable. It's a good line too. Something about too much truth sounding unbelievable or something like that.

Anyway, I'm rereading these and decided it's almost obvious that Kvothe's mother is Natalia Lackless. Never caught the poem line that Argent described in an early post, but it's icing on the cake - and pretty cool icing at that. That would mean that Kvothe is nobility though, which is great because I believe it gives him some reasonable excuse to kill a king that technically should be behind him in line for the throne *cough* AMBROSE *cough*. I like that theory the best so far. I can't see Kvothe killing a king and then Ambrose taking the throne and Kvothe being like - "Oh, that's chill I guess. I'll go mope somewhere." I see it more like Ambrose is the king to be killed and there will be something down the line that keeps Kvothe from doing the deed - hence this depression. I expect it will be something like Denna sides with Ambrose or something Denna related. It will kind of be Kvothe's fault though. A rehash of his "binding the air in my own lungs" incident.  He has too much power and is stupid with it and causes some bad scenario. 

Also, my first thoughts for the "ring unworn" portion of that poem were more literal. We know of a ring unworn literally being Denna's ring. A more symbolic ring unworn might be Kvothe's parents being married but not officially. Haven't really thought it through much. Not sure how significant either could be in context.

That was an infuriating video to say the least. I am kind of glad that he didn't reveal anything though, except for an expected release date. That would've been nice.

I love this series. I read it last year because I didn't have anything else to read, expecting not to like it. Once I got a couple chapters into it though, I was hooked. I don't think the world of a book has ever become quite so alive in front me while I've been reading it as this did. While it's not my favourite series, it's definitely still up there with the best of them.

What a tease.  So far the only "real" spoiler that I've seen regarding the 3rd books is that Kvothe (in his tale) will visit Renere.  Which isn't much of a spoiler really.  We know he's gonna travel more because of all that is happening in the frame.

It will be nice to have the Bast story and the Auri novella this year though.  I actually expect I'll like the Auri novella better than the 3rd book.  Unless, of course, Kvothe finally stops being an idiot and realizes Auri is the bomb and quits chasing that whore, Denna.

Just reread KKC books 1 and 2. All I can say is I am glad that there are some novellas coming out soon. Anyone figure out how the story of old holly fits in with NotW and WMF? It takes place in the same world, but with the exception of the story about the Sidhe, I can not remember any mention of holly.

The only connection I can think of off the top of my head is that wreathes of holly are supposed to ward against the Fae. Or, well, something. Bast didn't seem to have any problem with it. I could be remembering the purpose of the holly wrong. It's been a while.

Yes, he wrote the story long ago, but it was never finished in the sense that it was all ready for publication.  A Wise Man's Fear had more manuscript pages when it was finally done than the entire trilogy had to start with.  He's added so much to the story(which benefits the story greatly) that his original manuscript can't be considered any more than an outline at this point.

Yes, he wrote the story long ago, but it was never finished in the sense that it was all ready for publication.  A Wise Man's Fear had more manuscript pages when it was finally done than the entire trilogy had to start with.  He's added so much to the story(which benefits the story greatly) that his original manuscript can't be considered any more than an outline at this point.

I find it arguable that the amount he has added to the story has actually benefitted the story greatly, per se. WMF, while still excellent, was in my opinion (and that of many others) rather inflated. The story of Kingkiller is not the most plot-centric, being much more focused on character. Rothfuss got a little out of control with the places he took WMF, though, and the book ended up significantly longer than it needed to be.

I recently read the name of the wind, and I really liked it, but I'm not going to have time to read the next book for a long time. I though it was very well written, but the magic just pales so much to what I'm used to with BS