Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

A recent article by Rothfuss (still no word on Doors of Stone) but I noticed he comes across as a deeply unhappy man when I read the section of "what gives him joy from writing". Here is the article (he uses a little bit of language, but nothing serious. Sorry if it breaks any forum rules):

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2017/10/patrick-rothfuss-on-the-joys-and-non-joys-of-writing.html

he always came across to me as a good guy who is very grumpy and easily annoyed.  He's also not someone who bears the burdens of fame well, with which I can sympathize.  Being famous has drawbacks I never want to experience for myself, given that in order to rest and relax I have to have space and silence.

I just think he'd relieve some pressure if he provided some form of updates instead of continually not saying anything about it. He learned a lesson from missing his guess on Wise Man's Fear, but it's the wrong lesson.  He learned never to guess instead of to give regular and honest updates.  I recall well when Brandon had to adjust expectations not only on the last book of Wheel of Time (when he turned it into three instead of one) but then said he needed more time for the last.  I'd be perfectly cool with that if he just says every 3-6 months "look, this is where it's at, this is how long I think it might take, but I'll check back in a few months to say how it's going."  IT doesn't even take that long to write such a thing. Sigh :(

@MulkI'm beginning to think Rothfuss is starting to take the same approach of Virgil when writing the Aeneid. That is wanting the text to be perfect and tinkering with it for the rest of his life. It wasn't until Virgil died that the Aeneid was published. I hope I am mistaken, but that is the direction I see this headed. If that's the direction he wants to take then fine. Yes its disappointing, but there are tons of great authors out there that deliver in a timely manner. I wish the best for Rothfuss and hope he finds happiness.

I think I read his dad passed away recently, so I'm sure he's going through a tough time now. Not quite sure when he answered the questions in that article in relation to that though. 

Rothfuss is to 21st century fantasy what Tool is to rock music. Takes forever to finish something, but you know you'll love it when it comes out. 

I saw where the TV show is being picked up by Showtime (which I'm not too thrilled about, don't watch anything on that network). But the TV show will apparently take place about 10 years before Kvothe's story in The Name of the Wind begins. I have a feeling it will tell the story of his parents, might see Kvothe as a newborn in it. 

This might be a cool way to bring the universe onto the screen, but I believe they're planning on making motion picture films that actually tell the stories of the books. 

Since we live in a culture where everything has to have a sensational headline I thought of one after reading a article, linked below, that could read, "Rothfuss Blasts Fans! Tells them to F-off and Die!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/patrick-rothfuss-fantasy-next-superstar.html

I don't have anything personally against Rothfuss. I dont have the energy to waste being angry at him. I just thought this article would be of interest to my fellow sharders.

Ah, Rothfuss... I almost bought The Name of the Wind right when it came out! 

I did not, and therefore have an enjoyable position of the Outsider in all of this! :D

As much as I don't like the approach, it might be better overall if he took the Erickson approach: set the trilogy aside and work on something else. The pressure is getting to him, his fear of disappointing his fans is almost certain knowledge that he will disappoint his fans. He just needs to step away. 

This could mean the trilogy, like his precious Chaucer, will never be finished. That's a possibility he and his fans should accept. 

• 11 months later...

@The Invested Beard Someone on another forum, Westeros, said that Editors helped a lot with the first book and wrote large sections of Wise Man's fear. Supposedly Rothfuss has been writing way above his weight class, to use an analogy, and the Editor are basically meeting with Rothfuss to see what he wants to do with the series and will be writing almost entirely the third book for him. Supposedly this came from a person that is familiar with the situation and knows what they are talking with. This is the internet so take it with a healthy helping of salt. 

See I can't really get behind that. Those editors must have some singularly amazing writing skills. These books have a very particular voice and are almost poetic in their prose. I think Rothfuss is just a perfectionist and is having a hard time with the fact that no matter what he does, it isn't going to be perfect and some people aren't going to like it.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:10 PM, daschaich said:

Yeah, that's about as obviously nonsensical as Internet nonsense can get, not least because the time is being spent revising, rather than writing.

Unfortunately, The Invested Beard, you seem to be applying for a position that has already been filled.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I am so happy this exists.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...