The Official Alloy of Law Discussion Thread (spoilers)

KChan

@Finallity

I love your sig.

@This thread

Yeah, a Sazed viewpoint doesn't seem likely but I wonder if we will get any indication of his awareness of events (external signs, voices in heads, etc.). Also, Hoid seems like he'd be a good train conductor. :) Whatever he is, I'm ready to see him (or any plantet hopper) and be able to recognize him. The only book that I have read with any knowledge of the cosmere is WoK. I learned about it shortly before/when I first started reading the book.

I have a feeling that if Hoid were to be in Alloy of Law, I don't think he would be mentioned by name. We're on to him, so he'll probably be extra sneaky.

I am rather sad about there not being epigraphs. I really enjoyed them because we got to see a good chunk of Scadrial's history. I hope we get some good info on the intervening 300 years.

Any of you seen the European cover art for AoL? I dont know how to post an Image so here's a link to it Here. I really like the European covers for the original trilogy (I've considered buying them of amazon just to look at them) but I don't know if I like this cover as much. The train thing looks awesome, and I love the blue mists, but I don't know if the guy in the mistcloak by the train looks that good. And the line "There is still magic..." seems a little weak, maybe "The Magics live on..." would be better.

In my mind, nothing can beat the paperback Mistborn 1 cover. I'm pretty sure I'm in love.

But I'd have to say I like Christian McGrath's cover better for Alloy of Law. He's an amazing artist and it seems to fit the style of the book a lot more, what with the whole steampunk setting.

I feel that the US Alloy of Law cover conveys much more of a steampunky vibe I guess Brandon is going for. Sure, the UK feels more misty, but it doesn't convey the change in the world effectively.

• 2 months later...

well since I posted in the other thread before seeing this one I will just do this in case you don't want to go look.

Now, whenever I read a book by Brandon Sanderson I immediately look for hidden meanings and information. I blame Chaos.

Wary, he too remained still. Steel continued to burn comfortably in his stomach, and so—as a precaution—he gently Pushed outward from himself in all directions. It was a trick he’d mastered a few years back; he didn’t Push on any specific metal objects, but created a kind of defensive bubble around himself. Any metal that came streaking in his direction would be thrown slightly off course.

Ooh, interesting.

Rust and Ruin, Wax thought. This isn’t Bloody Tan’s lair . . . it’s his gallery.

Ruin is kind of obvious as to meaning. Rust as an insult...means broken metal?

The brick walls were mostly intact, and there were four altars in the front, just to Wax’s left. An old chapel to the Survivor

Four altars? why four?

“I have seen God, lawkeeper,” Tan whispered. Where was he? “I have seen Death himself, with the nails in his eyes. I have seen the Survivor, who is life.”

Lots of important stuff here

It was the grandest city in all the world, a metropolis designed by Harmony himself.

He did, did he?

The ankle-length mistcoat had been divided into strips from just above the waist, the tassels streaming behind him with a faint rustle.

MIstcloak is mistcoat now. laugh.gif Even though it sounds of the same description..

Well, they already knew he was Twinborn—that was a matter of public record.

I find this very interesting. It makes a large shift from the first Era (the first trilogy of Mistborn, my title for them not official) where allomancers are kept secret.

they hadn’t had a misty night in weeks.

Is this Preservation mist or regular mist?

The city’s size still astonished him. Millions lived here, maybe as many as five million. Nobody had a sure count across all of its wards—they were called octants, and as one might expect, there were eight of them.

Millions. How many lived in Luthadel?

he wasn’t some mythological Mistborn from the old stories, like the Survivor or the Ascendant Warrior. One Allomantic power, one Feruchemical power, that was all a man could have. In fact, having just one was a rare privilege—being Twinborn like Wax was truly exceptional.

Hehehe, Mistborn are mythological now, like the ancient Greek heroes I guess.

And of course there is now electricity, but that is beside the point (i think).

I don't really like the UK cover that much, it just doesn't match what the feel of the prologue and chapter one gave me.

I also really want to see epigraphs, but I don't think Brandon would give them to us because he knows that we would suck them dry of information, and he wouldn't just hand us info.

I love how the book starts out - reminds me a lot of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, where the initial encounters seem to be with standard villains, but are really vital to the plot. You forget about them while it goes on with the story, but then they turn out to be way important later.

Not to mention it's so intriguing that there are apparently Steel Inquisitors still wandering about.

Or, you know...

Marsh

My thoughts exactly when I read this. Possible theory:

if he saw 'the Survivor' as indicated in his quote, maybe Marsh is working with a Kandra who somehow still has the survivors bones? Or maybe he saw Marsh giving a hemalurgic spike to something and that's what he means by "giver of life"...

My thoughts exactly when I read this. Possible theory:

if he saw 'the Survivor' as indicated in his quote, maybe Marsh is working with a Kandra who somehow still has the survivors bones? Or maybe he saw Marsh giving a hemalurgic spike to something and that's what he means by "giver of life"...

I don't know about that.

It's possible that him seeing the Survivor was actually a delusion. It would definitely be like Brandon to mix things up on us. Then again, the Inquisitor could also be a delusion, and the Inquisitor's have filled a devil position in the doctrine of the Church of the Survivor.

Maybe since Ruin is more powerful than Preservation to Sazed(because they were equal when a bunch of his power was tied up in atium), Harmony tends to lean a bit more Ruinny, meaning that he needs to act sometimes to the benefit of killers. But then again, it's only been a couple hundred years. I don't know if that's enough time to become "Harmony".