Roshar is the 4th land, coincidence?

Fallen Rope

I'm thinking Nalthis=1st Land.

1 Jes Sapphire Zephyr Inhalation as in Breathing in Breath? Translucent gas, air aka Breath

Scadrial could be 

8 Kak Amethyst Foil The nails Metal

mainly for the metal, but not sure how nails go with the Metallic Arts.

No idea for Sel.

Perhaps Sel could be Tanat/Stone/Bone? Has links to its geographicaly based magic and to the Dhakor.

Nalthis seems more likely to be conected to exhalation, since even to receive Breaths there needs to be a command, and there is no inhalation required. Plus, the essence of smoke and opaque gas can be linked to awakening needing colors.

The accuracy/pertinance of any of the body foci (e.g., nails, inhalation, etc.) should be held at least suspect inview of the writings in the Ars Arcanum at the end of WoR.  The writer indicates that he/she currently believes them to be philosophical associations rather than actual connections.

@18th Shard:

Maybe if you look at a different meaning of the word 'nails'...

The accuracy/pertinance of any of the body foci (e.g., nails, inhalation, etc.) should be held at least suspect inview of the writings in the Ars Arcanum at the end of WoR.  The writer indicates that he/she currently believes them to be philosophical associations rather than actual connections.

Maybe the body focus thing was created by bad communication between world hoppers.

World Hopper 1: You have been to Scadrial haven't you, how does the magic there work.

World Hopper 2: It was a few hundred years ago, my memory is a bit faint, its to do with metal and sometimes involves nails.

World Hopper 1: *writes "essence metal, body focus nails"

So the body foci aren't completely accurate.

Yolen is likely 1 or 10

The world in white sand is likely 9, because sand.

My guess for Nalthis is 5, normal awakenings are organic things, and colour changing hair. Maybe the body focus for a world involves that part of the body changing colour when invested in a certain way. Someone needs to ask Brandon if Vins nails changed colour when she was ascending, or if using the well of ascension causes a change in nail colour.

Edited by Fallen Rope

Support for Nalthis beeing 5th Essence world: It has focus "Wood, plants, moss" - the Tear's of Edgli are the main source of dyes for materials and the colors are required for Awakening just as much as glass and crystals are needed for Surgebinding and using Stormlight.

I think that Sel fits number 9. Dakhor makes bones change shape, Elantrians are bound by the shape of land (made of stone). ChayShan use forms users create with their bodies and the shape of the body is determined by the position of bones. You can make Forging stamps from bones and Soulstones which are after all kind of a rock.

Having been lucky enough to be given a copy of White Sand by Sanderson, I have ideas for the essences that seem most likely to correlate with Taldain, but I'm not sure if I should even say which ones. As I did promise Brandon that I wouldn't let out any of the details, and I don't wanna give hints, even inadvertently.

But suffice to say, from my perspective, this theory is making a lot of sense.

Wonderful connection!

But I am very curious abouth the 7th world, the world where we will all return to being One (and -"Everything"-maybe the shards merge ?).

Yolen is too easy to think , where it all began.

Sorry, what's this??? I haven't heard anything about this. Are you sure you're thinking of the Ten Essences?

Sorry, what's this??? I haven't heard anything about this. Are you sure you're thinking of the Ten Essences?

My book isn't in English then I don't know the original words. But if you read the Ym's Interlude, you will find the sentences about his religion (The One) and the reference to what I said.

My opinion is this

1. Not sure, Possibly Nalthis

2. Possibly Scadrial (reasoning being due to it's Shadesmar expanse name and that the mists are opaque gas/fog/smokey)

3. No clue

4. I'm agreeing this matches Roshar...that or Yolen given the origins of Lightweaving

5. Leaning toward this more for Nalthis, given it matches up quite a lot

6. Not quite sure. Given Haemalurgy's universal nature (+ the speculation that any planetary foci could be used as a power stealer). Possibly Sel given the geneaology/geographical requirement. Or perhaps a Shardworld we haven't seen based around liquids 

7. Possibly Yolen given Ym's Interlude dialogue

8. Possibly Sel

9. I haven't a clue on this one

10. Primarily leaning towards Sel. Heliodor translates roughly from Greek as 'Sun-Gift'; given this is Ishar's number, the bonds you have form with Devotion/Dominion matter strongly with the magic systems, as well the the correlation between the Primary/Secondary attributes (speculation). The magic seems to manifest effects in the meat/flesh 

It all depends on your perspective. Do we have any confirmation that the minor shardworlds are included in this? 

Since the setting of Dark One is a shard world, it could match #3, with the ubiquitous electricity for spark and fire.

But You're sure that isn't a minor shardworld ?

2. Possibly Scadrial (reasoning being due to it's Shadesmar expanse name and that the mists are opaque gas/fog/smokey)

It all depends on your perspective. Do we have any confirmation that the minor shardworlds are included in this? 

Scadrial semms to fit better with the 8th (foil, nail and metal).

For the question about the minor shardworld we haven't any confirmation. But 10 Major Shardsword -> 10 Essence. If the minors are included there was much more (I thing there are many many minor shardworld)

• Chaos locked this topic