favorite quotes!

Allomancy

WOT spoilers (if you've read through LoC you're safe)

"Asha'man, kill!"

-Mazrim Taim

You can't get much more awesome than that.

yes you can:

You killed my fiancé, my brother, my father, and my god. That's like some sort

of homicidal hat trick

-elend

• 2 weeks later...

"I've decided to relocate to the moon to pursue a career as an astrohermit." - Isaac Vainio, Revisionary by Jim C Hines

"Have you seen an acid-breathing cobra with three heads come through here? She answers to the name of Selma. You've gotta help me find her." - Revisionary by Jim C Hines

"Don't try to nice your way out of this. It's insulting." - One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron

"Help us, Juli-wan Kenobi, you're our only hope." For a moment, that almost, almost made Julius feel like a hero. And then he remembered. "Doesn't Obi-Wan die in that movie?" - One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just started reading A Darker Shade of Magic and was utterly delighted with the opening page:

Kell wore a very peculiar coat.

It had neither one side, which would be conventional, nor two, which would be unexpected, but several, which was, of course, impossible.

The first thing he did whenever he stepped out of one London and into another was take off the coat and turn it inside out once or twice (or even three times) until he found the side he needed. Not all of them were fashionable, but they each served a purpose. There were ones that blended in and ones that stood out, and one that served no purpose but of which he was just particularly fond.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

From The Bonehunters by Erikson:

I would tell you a tale, brother. Early in the clan's history, many centuries past, there arose, like a breath of gas from the deep, a new cult. Chosen as its representative god was the most remote, most distant of gods among the pantheon. A god that spoke naught to any mortal, that intervened never in mortal affairs. Morbid. The leaders of the cult proclaimed themselves the voice of that god. They wrote down laws, prohibitions, ascribances, propitations, blasphemies, punishments for nonconformity, for dispute and derivations. This was but rumor, said details maintained in vague fugue, until such time as the cult achieved domination, and with domination, absolute power.
"Terrible enforcement, terrible crimes committed in the name of the silent god. Leaders came and went, each further twisting words already twisted by mundane ambition and the zeal for unity. Entire pools were poisoned. Others drained and the silts seeded with salt. Eggs were crushed. Mothers dismembered. And our people were plunged into a paradise of fear, the laws made manifest and spilled blood the tears of necessity. False regret with chilling gleam in the centre eye. No relief awaited, and each generation suffered more than the last."
"What happened?"
"Seven great warriors from seven clans set out to find the silent god, set out to see for themselves if this god had indeed blessed all that had come to pass in its name."
"And did they find the silent god?"
"Yes, and too, they found the reason for its silence. The god was dead. It had died with the first drop of blood spilled in its name."
"I see, and what is the relevance of this tale of yours, however modest?"
"Perhaps this. The existence of many gods conveys true complexity of mortal life. Conversely, the assertion of but one god leads to a denial of complexity, and encourages the need to make the world simple. Not the fault of the god, but a crime committed by its believers."
"If a god does not like what is done its name, then it should act."
"Yet, if each crime committed in its name weakens it... Very soon, I think, it has no power left and so cannot act, and so, ultimately, it dies."
"You come from a strange world, Greyfrog."
"Yes."
"I find your tale most disturbing."
"Yes."

Also by Erikson in, I think, Reapers Gale:

“The argument was this: a civilization shackled to the strictures of excessive control on its populace, from choice of religion through to the production of goods, will sap the will and the ingenuity of its people – for whom such qualities are no longer given sufficient incentive or reward. At face value, this is accurate enough. Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore, a kind of intransigence as fierce and nonsensical as its maternalistic counterpart.

And so, in the clash of these two extreme systems, one is witness to brute stupidity and blood-splashed insensitivity; two belligerent faces glowering at each other across the unfathomed distance, and yet, in deed and in fanatic regard, they are but mirror reflections.

"Do you mean to say, that our civilization has now reached the point where we're hurling hostile universes at each other?"
- Aristide, Implied Spaces

A very good book, very interesting sci-fi. Has a nation of Fred referenced.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:15 PM, aeromancer said:

Speaking of Star Wars quotes:

"Hey Tenel-Ka, why are wampa's arms so long? Because their hands are so far from their face!"

-Jacen Solo

This is from Legacy. And it is a very sad quote if you know the story of Jacen Solo and Tenel-Ka.

All the Jacen Solo jokes at the start of each of Invincible's chapters were pretty fun, but also very bad jokes. Personally, my favorite is:

"Which side of an ewok is the furriest? The outside."

Overall, I have to say, Jacen Solo's arc was very interesting. I started with Legacy, then read Dark Nest, but finally getting to New Jedi Order just to see the YZ things that happened to him was fulfilling. Is the quote though referring to something specific that happened between them, or do you just mean it's a sad quote because of how they were and how things ended?

When we talk about teenagers, we adults often talk with an air of scorn, of expectation for disappointment. And this can make people who are presently teenagers feel very defensive.

But what everyone should understand is that none of us are talking to the teenagers that exist now, but talking back to the teenager we ourselves once were – all stupid mistakes and lack of fear, and bodies that hadn't yet begun to slump into a lasting nothing.

Any teenager who exists now is incidental to the potent mix of nostalgia and shame with which we speak to our younger selves.

May we all remember what it was like to be so young. May we remember it factually, and not remember anything that is false, or incorrect.

May we all be human – beautiful, stupid, temporal, endless.

And as the sun sets, I place my hand upon my heart, feel that it is still beating, and remind myself: Past performance is not a predictor of future results.

From Welcome to Night Vale, episode 33

Edited by The Honor Spren

• 1 month later...