favorite quotes!

Allomancy

• 2 months later...

*slowly opens 20 page document full of quotes*

*realizes I should probably spoiler this whole reply because it got so long*

Spoiler

Spoiler

"'Sometimes, the answers we need don't match the questions we're asking.' He looked up at me. 'And sometimes, the coward makes fools of wiser men.'"

I think this one is from Skyward.

Spoiler

"Of course, there was also a smaller percentage who were more likely to panic if an authority figure was nearby. Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity."

-Mistborn

Spoiler

"'Who are you?' Kelsier said.

"'I?' the man said. 'I am a drifter. A miscreant. The flame's last breath, made of smoke at its passing.'

"'That's... needlessly obtuse.'

"'Well, I'm that too.' The man cocked his head. 'That mostly, if I'm honest.'"

-Mistborn, Secret History

Kind-of sort-of indirect spoilers for tFE for the following quote

Spoiler

"Of course," Sazed said. "I collect all religions." 

Vin snorted. "This is no religion we're talking about, Sazed. This is Kelsier." 

"I disagree. He is certainly a religious figure to the skaa."

"But, we knew him," Vin said. "He was no prophet or god. He was just a man."

"So many of them are, I think," Sazed said quietly.

Spoiler

"Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

"Each time I see its calm yellow light peeking above the horizon, I grow a little more determined, a little more hopeful. I'm a way, it is the thing that has kept me going all this time."

-WoA epigraphs

Spoiler

"'There is an inn,' he whispered, 'that you cannot find on your own. You must stumble across it on a misty street, late at night, lost and uncertain in a strange city.

"'The door has a wheel on it, but the sign bears no name. If you find the place and wander inside, you'll meet a young man behind the bar. He has no name. He cannot tell it to you, should he want to-it's been taken from him. But he'll know you, as he knows everyone who enters the inn. He'll listen to everything you want to tell him-and you will want to talk to him. And if you ask him for a story, he'll share one. Like he shared with me. I will now share it with you.'"

-Rhythm of War

This one is a bit different. It's a poem that was included in a book called Becoming Evil, which is about how ordinary people can commit genocide and mass killing. That's what the poem is about.

Spoiler

Start with an empty canvas

Sketch in broad outline the forms of men, women, and children.

Dip into the unconscious well of your own

disowned darkness

with a wide brush and

stain the strangers with the sinister hue

of the shadow.

Trace onto the face of the enemy the greed, 

hatred, carelessness you dare not claim as

your own.

Obscure the sweet individuality of each face. 

Erase all hints of the myriad loves, hopes,

fears that play through the kaleidoscope of every finite heart. 

Twist the smile until it forms the downward

arc of cruelty.

Strip flesh from bone until only the 

abstract skeleton of death remains.

Exaggerate each feature until man is

metamorphosized into beast, vermin, insect. 

Fill in the background with malignant

figures from ancient nightmares-devils,

demons, myrmidons of evil.

When your icon of the enemy is complete

you will be able to kill without guilt,

slaughter without shame.

The thing you destroy will have become

merely an enemy of God, an impediment

to the sacred dialectic of history.

-Sam Keen

Spoiler

*** A GUIDED TOUR OF SUFFERING***
To your left,
perhaps your right,
perhaps even straight ahead,
you find a small black room.
In it sits a Jew.
He is scum.
He is starving.
He is afraid.
Please-try not to look away.

-The Book Thief

Spoiler

"At the end of his life, the great picture book author and illustrator Maurice Sendak said on the NPR show Fresh Air, 'I cry a lot because I miss people. I cry a lot because they die, and I can't stop them. They leave me, and I love them more.'

"He said, 'I'm finding out as I'm aging that I'm in love with the world.'

"It has taken me all my life up to now to fall in love with the world, but I've started to feel it the last couple of years. To fall in love with the world isn't to ignore or overlook suffering, both human and otherwise. For me anyway, to fall in love with the world is to look up at the night sky and feel your mind swim before the beauty and the distance of the stars. It is to hold your children while they cry, to watch as the sycamore trees leaf out in June. When my breastbone starts to hurt, and my throat tightens, and tears well in my eyes, I want to look away from feeling. I want to deflect with irony, or anything else that will keep me from feeling directly. We all know how loving ends. But I want to fall in love with the world anyway, to let it crack me open. I want to feel what there is to feel while I am here.

"Sendak ended that interview with the last words he ever said in public: 'Live your life. Live your life. Live your life.'

"Here is my attempt to do so."

-John Green, The Anthropocene Reviewed

Spoiler

"You can do something about abandonment. You can construct a stronger independent self, for instance, or build a broader network of meaningful relationships so your psychological well-being isn't wholly reliant upon one person. But you, as an individual, can't do much about the Canada goose."

-John Green, The Anthropocene Reviewed

Spoiler

"I think it's helpful to know how sunsets work. I don't buy the romantic notion that scientific understanding somehow robs the universe of its beauty, but I still can't find language to describe how breathtakingly beautiful sunsets are not breathtakingly, actually, but breath-givingly beautiful. All I can say is that sometimes when the world is between day and night, I'm stopped cold by its splendor, and I feel my absurd smallness. You'd think that would be sad, but it isn't. It only makes me grateful. Toni Morrison once wrote, 'At some point in life, the world's beauty becomes enough. You don't need to photograph, paint, or even remember it. It is enough.' So what can we say of the clichéd beauty of sunsets? Perhaps only that they are enough."

Spoiler

"You can't see the future coming--not the terrors, for sure, but you also can't see the wonders that are coming, the moments of light-soaked joy that await each of us."

Spoiler

"Looking up toward the looming mountain ranges in the distance, I was reminded of what nature is always telling me: Humans are not the protagonists of this planet's story. If there is a main character, it is life itself, which makes of earth and starlight something more than earth and starlight. But in the age of the Anthropocene, humans tend to believe, despite all available evidence, that the world is here for our benefit. So the Bonneville Salt Flats must have a human use; why else would they exist? Nothing can grow in that dry, salty soil, but we find uses for it anyway. For the last hundred years, the flats have been mined for potash, which is used in fertilizer. And a long stretch of the flats has gained fame as a kind of drag-racing strip. A land-speed record was set there in 1965 when a turbo Jet car driven by Craig Breedlove traveled over six hundred miles per hour."

Spoiler

"There's also the human urge to make things, to paint cave walls and doodle in the margins of to-do lists. Doi once said, 'I have to keep on working, otherwise nothing will be brought into existence.' But sometimes I feel like the paper is better before we get a hold of it, when it is still wood. Other times, I love the marks we leave. They feel like gifts and signs, like trail markers in the wilderness."

Spoiler

"In a whisper, the vocal cords don't vibrate, but air passes through the larynx with enough turbulence to be audible-at close range, anyway. And so whispers are definitionally intimate. All talking is made of breath, but when someone whispers you are hearing the breath. People sometimes whisper due to laryngitis or other disorders, but usually we whisper because we want to speak to one person without risking everyone hearing. We whisper secrets, yes, but also rumors and cruelties and fears."

Spoiler

"While it is human nature to blame and demonize others in miserable times, it is also human nature to walk together, the leaders as barefoot as the followers."

Spoiler

"We should get out of the habit of saying that anything is once-in-a-lifetime. We should stop pretending we have any idea how long a lifetime is, or what might happen in one."

Spoiler

"What does it mean to live in a world where you have the power to end species by the thousands, but you can also be brought to your knees, or to your end, by a single strand of RNA? I have tried here to map some of the places where my little life brushes up against the big forces shaping contemporary human experience, but the only conclusion I can draw is a simple one: We are so small, and so frail, so gloriously and terrifyingly temporary."

Spoiler

"Sometimes I like to imagine benevolent aliens visiting Earth. In my daydreams, these aliens are galactic anthropologists, seeking to understand the cultures, rituals, preoccupations, and divinities of various sentient species. They would conduct careful field research, observing us. They would ask open-ended, nonjudgmental questions, like 'What, or whom, is in your view worthy of sacrifice?' and 'What should be the collective goals of humanity?' I hope that these alien anthropologists would like us. We are, in spite of it all, a charismatic species.

"In time, the aliens would come to understand almost everything about us-our ceaseless yearning, our habit of wandering, how we love the feeling of the sun's light on our skin. At last, they would have only one question remaining: 'We have noted that there is a green god that you keep in front of and behind your houses, and we have seen how you are devoted to the care of this ornamental plant god. You call it Kentucky bluegrass, although it is neither blue nor from Kentucky. Here is what we are wondering: Why do you worship this species? Why do you value it over all the other plants?'"

If you can't tell, I am kind of obsessed with both quotes and The Anthropocene Reviewed. 

I shall leave you with one last quote, which is one of my all-time favorites.

"Sometimes, I wonder how I can survive in this world where, as Mary Oliver put it, 'everything / Sooner or later / Is part of everything else.' Other times, I remember that I won't survive, of course. I will, sooner or later, be the everything that is part of everything else. But until then: What an astonishment to breathe on this breathing planet. What a blessing to be Earth loving Earth."

If you actually read all of those I am very impressed and you have my respect.

Edited by Tesh

• 2 months later...

"For what's in a day of this dandy life? Everything, everything, everything."

- Collective Soul, Dandy Life (and also my signature)

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on."

- Nick Fury, The Avengers

"A million sorrys aren't equal to a single thank you."

- Emilia, Re:Zero 

"'This is SHIELD?'
'This is what SHIELD is supposed to be.'
'This is not so bad.'"

- Quicksilver and Captain America, Avengers: Age of Ultron

• 8 months later...

"An uneducated, half-brained serving boy with a hangover could make mock of you."

- Wit

And because I really can't choose which insult I like better;

"I hid your honor in a place you could never find it: in the arms of someone who truly loves you."

- Wit

I mean, I should have one actual inspirational quote, so;

"Some people feel the rain. others just get wet."

- I'm not sure but I like the quote.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of these might have already been sent, but I'll send them anyway

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience often comes from a lack of wisdom." Terry Pratchett 

"It will [get worse], but then it will get better. Then it will get worse again. Then better. This is life, and I will not lie by saying every day will be sunshine. But there will be sunshine, and that is a very different thing to say. I promise you: you will  be warm again." Brandon Sanderson 

• 3 weeks later...

War doesn't determine who's right. It determines who remains. --R.F. Kuang (The Poppy War) 

When the world owed you nothing, you demanded something of it anyway.- Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows)

"If only you could talk to girls in equations.”

There was a long silence, and then, eyes trained on the notch they’d created in the link, Wylan said, “Just girls?”

Jesper restrained a grin. “No. Not just girls." - Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows) 

“You are an ember in the ashes, Elias Veturius. You will spark and burn, ravage and destroy. You cannot change it. You cannot stop it.” -Sabha Tahir (An Ember in the Ashes) 

Never flinch. Never fear. And never, ever forget.” ― Jay Kristoff, (Nevernight) 

Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends. - Harry Potter

• 2 months later...

"Lands that stretched on forever. Skies one could drown in. The heartbeat of nature, silent yet strong. And admist it all a people. Beacons of light and life. Laughter that warmed my heart like naught else before. They are my meaning and my purpose. My love. In spite of... Or perhaps because of this, I choose to believe. In mankind's potential. In his ability to find a way forward. So let there be no way back. From that temptation I sunder us. No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk." - Venat from Final Fantasy XIV 

This next one is less a quote and more of a passage, but since we don't have a Favorite Passage thread, I figured I'd put it here. It gives me chills everytime I read it: 

"She'd locked their bedroom doors, one by one. Locked everything as they slept, except one way out. And then she'd gone downstairs to where they'd kept the alcohol, and the kerosene, and all those reeking fluids, and found a match...

A struck match sounds like a kiss in the dark, sometimes. She remembered thinking that, watching the flame crack to life and then flutter down to the pools of alcohol running across the floor.

No one had made it out. And as she'd sat and watched, she'd realized--master or slave, all screams sounded alike."

This is from Robert Jackson Bennett's Foundryside. 

12 hours ago, Telrao said:

"When life gives you lemons, make lemon bombs!" - from Portal 2

Actually, the quote is:

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your d*** lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life RUE THE DAY it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! Gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

-Cave Johnson, Portal 2

More XIV Endwalker quotes. The whole expansion is a goldmine of amazing dialogue.

"Hear - the song at creation's end.
Feel - the agony of hope's demise.
Think - and find your way in the darkness.
Follow your light... or fly my child, and never look back!" - Hydaelyn

"To live is to suffer. To drink of calamity and drown in anguish. To toil and be tested, always and ever.

'Tis a perilous path you walk. Death lurks in the dark, and is the sole promise that awaits at journey's end.

You will tremble with terror. You will weep tears of anger and despair ...but do not avert your eyes. See your life for what it is.

Then you will see how the hardships make you strong. Every doubt reforged as scales for your armor. Every agony to temper your blade." - Matsya

"As fragmented, imperfect beings, yours is a never-ending quest

A quest to find your purpose, knowing your end is assured

To find the strength to continue, when all strength has left you

To find joy, even as darkness descends

And amidst deepest despair, light everlasting." - Venat 

“It’s easy for learned elites to criticize earnest efforts and assert their moral superiority. All without offering alternatives.” - Alisaie Leveilleur

“Our lives are forever changed. The people we lost will never return. The tragedies will long weigh on our hearts. But we have the capacity to live with our suffering. To carry the agony till we too join the fallen in death. It is not a surrender, but a recognition. For it is only in acceptance that we find it, the strength to move forward.” - Nidhana

"Truth is given shape in interpretation. When we seek to capture it with our words, it is invariably molded to fit a narrative - no matter how well intentioned the rendering.” - Y’shtola Rhul

"Would you be “happier” if had a “good reason”? If my motives met with your approval, would you no longer resent the outcome? If so, then perhaps a beast’s skin would suit you better." - Zenos Viator Galvus

"The sorrow of a thousand thousand worlds weigh upon you

Yet you walk on...." - Narration

Edited by Zurvanite

9 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Actually, the quote is:

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your d*** lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life RUE THE DAY it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! Gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

-Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Haha, thanks! I was remembering it off the top of my head (makes me laugh so hard every time and I'm trying to focus in the level >w<)

These are my favorite Quotes

1. “I am not a pessimist; I am a realist.” - Richard Bach

2. “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found something worth dying for, then you don't have anything left to live for.” - Steve Jobs

3. “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. “You're never going to change the world until you get rid of your ego.” - Bob Marley

5. “We are all here to help each other go through our problems.” - Dalai Lama

6. “It's not about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa

7. “When you look at things the right way, you'll find they're really quite simple.” - Albert Einstein

“So you love me.”

“I’m a raging mass of hormones that I’m too young to understand. You’re a female of a closely related species. According to all the best primatologists, I really have no choice.”

—Petra and Bean, Ender’s shadow. 

“Remember, the enemy’s gate is down.”

—Ender’s Shadow

WoT spoilers, also it’s long. 

Spoiler

“‘Here is your flaw, Shai’tan, Lord of the Dark, Lord of Envy, lord of nothing, here is why you fail. It was not about me. It’s never been about me.’

It was about a woman, torn and beaten down, cast from her throne and made a puppet. A woman who can crawled when she had to. That woman still fought.

It was about a man who love repeatedly forsook. A man who found relevance in a world others would have let pass them by. A man who remembered stories and who took fool boys under his wing when the smarter move would have been to keep on walking. That man still fought.

It was about a woman with a secret, a hope for the future. A woman who had hunted for the truth before others could. A woman who had given her life, then had it returned. That woman still fought. 

It was about a man whose family was taken from him, but stood tall in his sorrow and protected those he could.

It was about a woman who refused to believe she that she could not help, could not heal those who had been harmed. 

It was about a hero who insisted with every breath that he was anything but a hero.

It was about a woman who would not bend her back while she was beaten and shown with a light for all who watched…

It was about them all.”

*floods of tears*

“She turned around and said, "Is there anything I can do?"

It was the only thing she could have said that he couldn't answer with anger, which frustrated Janner even more. If she had asked what was wrong, he would have hurled a perfectly sassy reply right back at her. If she had told him to cheer up, he would have grouched something about how cheery he'd be if he had played with puppies all day. If she had tried to be silly to cheer him up, he would have barked that he was sorry he wasn't in the mood for games.

But "Is there anything I can do?" poured cool water on his fire. It told him that she cared. It told him that she saw he needed something, even if she didn't know what. It told him that she hurt with him.”

-The Monster in the Hollows

On 25/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, Ookla the Pencil Taxi said:

“She turned around and said, "Is there anything I can do?"

It was the only thing she could have said that he couldn't answer with anger, which frustrated Janner even more. If she had asked what was wrong, he would have hurled a perfectly sassy reply right back at her. If she had told him to cheer up, he would have grouched something about how cheery he'd be if he had played with puppies all day. If she had tried to be silly to cheer him up, he would have barked that he was sorry he wasn't in the mood for games.

But "Is there anything I can do?" poured cool water on his fire. It told him that she cared. It told him that she saw he needed something, even if she didn't know what. It told him that she hurt with him.”

-The Monster in the Hollows

Wingfeather Saga both mends and breaks my heart with its wholesomeness.

I have a feeling that this has been shared already but I need to share it anyway because it’s making me cry right now, like it does every time. 

“It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even the darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out all the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. Because they were holding onto something…that there’s still good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”

LoTR is amazing.