Was making Warbreaker free a good idea or a bad idea?

ZeldaDad

• 1 month later...

I think it was a good Idea. I had already read the Mistborn trilogy, so I found out quite easily that he released a free book. I got it for my e-reader, then bought the physical Warbreaker to loan to my friends.

I also have used it to convert more people to Brandon Fandom before.

I personally wouldn't use Warbreaker as a first book for people new to Brandon's work. While it's a great book, I feel it's the weakest of his novels and I'd want to start them out with what I think is his best, Mistborn. This way they get the best impression right off the bat. But that's just me.

Silus: True. And he's probably much better at weighing readers' advice than I am. Perhaps someone should ask him if he thinks Warbreaker would have been a different book if he hadn't released it as he wrote it. Or maybe someone already has. I haven't really looked at the anthology of Q and A's that's been compiled. But I guess it probably didn't have too much of an effect. So having a free e-book is most likely a good thing. I know I'd definitely like to see him do it again.

• 3 months later...

I randomly chose a Warbreaker paperback off the shelf, so I had no clue about the online publishing project until I looked Brandon up after I finished reading. Probably the best part for me from that perspective was to view the manuscript with the changes highlighted. I found it very fascinating to see how he changed the work between drafts. Combine that with the annotations (which are really neat) and you get a pretty good view inside the thinking and process of a good writer. A fan's dream!

• 1 month later...

While I had heard of Brandon before, his first work that I've read is actually that free copy of Warbreaker that's available for download on his website. I started looking for his other books since.

While I agree that this isn't his best novel, I feel it's easier for the uninitiated to get into this than Mistborn because it's harder for people who are new to epic fantasies to invest in a series compared to a stand-alone.

I think that Warbreaker does a good job of getting people interested in Brandon and his other books, and it certainly doesn't hurt that you can get it legally for free. I'd buy an actual copy if I see it in my local book store (but I haven't yet).

It's a risk on Brandon's (and his publisher's) part, but I think it's paid off for him. Like the other respondents here on the thread, I think it probably isn't a good idea for him to do this a lot, but I think his name's getting more and more well-known that he probably wouldn't have to do it again.

• 1 month later...

I personally wouldn't use Warbreaker as a first book for people new to Brandon's work. While it's a great book, I feel it's the weakest of his novels and I'd want to start them out with what I think is his best, Mistborn. This way they get the best impression right off the bat. But that's just me.

I agree with you 100% on this.

do we know what the #'s were for sales on this book? How did they compare to the Way of Kings?

I agree with you 100% on this.

I usually start with Mistborn to convert people, and then mention that Warbreaker is free to the people who prefer borrowing over buying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that, while releasing Warbreaker slowly and freely to the public was a good idea, it was a bad idea to do so before I had discovered Brandon Sanderson. Things happening when I am not around is never good (except the Spanish Flu).

I do agree that, generally, getting a large portion of the reader base to give feedback on every draft would be more hindrance than anything, but doing it once seems like it could gather some really good data.

Edited by Deus Ex Biotica

I think releasing his book for free was a good idea simply from the standpoint of, it shows that he would rather have honest fans and not take the money of people who aren't going to like his writing anyways. In a way, it shows a type of respect to people who like to read, because if you read it and don't like it, no harm done! And I think its really cool that people have read the free copy, then gone out to buy it specifically to support the author. On the other hand, I kind of wish he had released Mistborn free instead, for 2 reasons. Better marketing strategy, and I liked the MB trilogy better.

• 2 months later...

In an attempt to bring Warbreaker back to life on the threads, I thought I'd start a new topic. What is your opinion on Brandon's decision to make Warbreaker free, including its progress and final version?

I personally think it was a great plan and I still intend to but the paperback at some point soon. However, I wonder if this has made it less popular in some ways. I'd like to hear your thoughts. :lol:

HA! I bought the hardcover book and finished reading it last night at 3am. I had no idea it was free online.

Frankly, I don't feel cheated in the least, I've read the Mistborn Series and have given the set as a gift to several people who loved it. I've read Alloy, Elantris, Way of Kings and I'll read anything else he writes because he is one of the best writers of this era. I will let friends know that Warbreaker is available for free just so they too can be lured into Sanderson's bookspells. It was worth every dollar spent and it's also a good idea to sprinkle free magic to show the people what you can do. One proviso: I want a Warbreaker sequel. Let's get on that Brandon...

That said, though, the timing worked out perfectly, and it ended up as a smash hit. I actually first heard of Brandon via Wheel of Time myself.

It was exactly the opposite for me. I first heard of WoT because Brandon announced he was going to finish it.

• Chaos locked this topic