Why Didn’t Renarin Reveal His Radiancy?

ivoryblade

Also very true. Man he is far, far more of an outlier than Ive ever thought. Plus, going back to my previous comment about him being considered handsome. Dont a lot of people look down on him for having mixed heritage? But its overlooked due to his stature in Alethi society. Meaning a close heir to the princedom?

Adolin mentions his hair several times within the books. For instances, he likes the fact Danlan isn't black haired and has refused to dye them. He complains on how light eyes is the standard, but light hair are shunned upon. When he meets Shallan, he is immediately attracted to her comment about his hair. He claims he has been told several time his blood line was impure.

Not to mention Adolin does not physically resemble Dalinar.... Wonder if anyone ever questioned his paternity here: a blond haired kid within a family of black haired ones. All in the physical descriptive we have of Adolin are made to highlight his difference.

Adolin mentions his hair several times within the books. For instances, he likes the fact Danlan isn't black haired and has refused to dye them. He complains on how light eyes is the standard, but light hair are shunned upon. When he meets Shallan, he is immediately attracted to her comment about his hair. He claims he has been told several time his blood line was impure.

Not to mention Adolin does not physically resemble Dalinar.... Wonder if anyone ever questioned his paternity here: a blond haired kid within a family of black haired ones. All in the physical descriptive we have of Adolin are made to highlight his difference.

Even with all that said, I still dont think Renarin would see his older brother as anything but a successful duelist, liked by women he thinks he would never attract, and accepted by Alethi society. I think he would see all that as a reason why he thinks Adolin wouldnt accept him as not being crazy, so he would just stay clamped up, as usual. It does seem to be his natural state.

Even with all that said, I still dont think Renarin would see his older brother as anything but a successful duelist, liked by women he thinks he would never attract, and accepted by Alethi society. I think he would see all that as a reason why he thinks Adolin wouldnt accept him as not being crazy, so he would just stay clamped up, as usual. It does seem to be his natural state.

I think you are not giving enough credit to Renarin here. He knows his brother: back and forth. It is obvious, in book, Renarin cares as much about Adolin as Adolin cares about him. He is just as protective of his older brother as Adolin is of him: he just lacks the mean to express it more strongly. I sincerely doubt all Renarin is seeing of Adolin is his successes: he knows his weaknesses and each time he intervenes with his brother, he actually tries to shush them away. He knows Adolin is too emotional, he knows Adolin needs to go through his routine to keep his stress level down, he knows Adolin is easily unsettled by unexpected new situations he does not understand. He knows his brother needs help rationalizing his emotions. Renarin knows that and he tries to help his brother, in his own way, just as Adolin tries to encourage Renarin to develop his skills, to pursue his dreams and tells him to not give up.

Those kids grew up together and are very close. They support each other.

The only thing Renarin is not truly comprehending is Adolin issues with women, just as Adolin misjudges Renarin need to seek belonging outside their family unit.

I think you are not giving enough credit to Renarin here. He knows his brother: back and forth. It is obvious, in book, Renarin cares as much about Adolin as Adolin cares about him. He is just as protective of his older brother as Adolin is of him: he just lacks the mean to express it more strongly. I sincerely doubt all Renarin is seeing of Adolin is his successes: he knows his weaknesses and each time he intervenes with his brother, he actually tries to shush them away. He knows Adolin is too emotional, he knows Adolin needs to go through his routine to keep his stress level down, he knows Adolin is easily unsettled by unexpected new situations he does not understand. He knows his brother needs help rationalizing his emotions. Renarin knows that and he tries to help his brother, in his own way, just as Adolin tries to encourage Renarin to develop his skills, to pursue his dreams and tells him to not give up.

Those kids grew up together and are very close. They support each other.

The only thing Renarin is not truly comprehending is Adolin issues with women, just as Adolin misjudges Renarin need to seek belonging outside their family unit

Well, youve convinced me. But with tht being said, why in damnation wouldnt he confide in the person hes closer to than anybody else on the planet? Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Well, youve convinced me. But with tht being said, why in damnation wouldnt he confide in the person hes closer to than anybody else on the planet?

Because he is afraid, because Adolin has put so much faith in him he does not want to disappoint him. Don't forget it is Adolin who arranges for Zahel to train Renarin, who takes him to the field everyday, who stands proudly next to him waving his finger up at him. 

The fear of deception alone is enough to make Renarin fear to open-up. Also, during the Parshendi event, Renarin feels bummed. Adolin tries to talk to him, but then says it is pointless as Renarin would talk when he was ready: pressuring him would not work. 

Renarin was not ready to talk to Adolin about what was happening to him.

Also, as others have pointed out, Adolin doesn't exactly deal well with visions and unexpected events. At the time, he was also deep within his dueling spree, set to win Shards for his father in duels where the stakes were getting higher and higher. There is also a probability Renarin didn't want to upset or unsettle his brother while he was about to step into the arena. 

I think Renarin may not have open up to Adolin to protect him from the backlash of finding out the truth. It's basically how their relationship have been working so far: Adolin physically protects Renarin, Renarin psychologically protects Adolin. I suspect the later will become more obvious in the future book where we are bond to see Adolin crash down.

Team Kholin Brothers all the way  :lol:

I guess its just hard for me to understand. Im of he mindset tht if you have something you need to say, get it out. Because it will eat you alive otherwise. As you have witnessed, I have no problem telling people what I think and how I feel. Maybe thats the cause of growing up with an older brother whos relationship with me was mostly a ridicule target & punching bag lol.

Otherwise, logically, your reasoning is sound, I think.

I guess its just hard for me to understand. Im of he mindset tht if you have something you need to say, get it out. Because it will eat you alive otherwise. As you have witnessed, I have no problem telling people what I think and how I feel. Maybe thats the cause of growing up with an older brother whos relationship with me was mostly a ridicule target & punching bag lol.

Otherwise, logically, your reasoning is sound, I think.

It's OK. I too tend to speak about whatever ails me. I have little in common with Renarin (and much in common with Adolin). This being said, all people are different and what seems trivial for one isn't for the other. Speaking up was obviously hard for Renarin while if I were him, not speaking up would have likely been harder. There's the difference.

For him, it was hard and this is what matters in the story at hands.

It's OK. I too tend to speak about whatever ails me. I have little in common with Renarin (and much in common with Adolin). This being said, all people are different and what seems trivial for one isn't for the other. Speaking up was obviously hard for Renarin while if I were him, not speaking up would have likely been harder. There's the difference.

For him, it was hard and this is what matters in the story at hands.

Some would prefer to be eaten alive by their secrets than to tell them to someone, and have the people you tell rip down everything you've built for yourself.

Some would prefer to be eaten alive by their secrets than to tell them to someone, and have the people you tell rip down everything you've built for yourself.

Some would be incapable of keeping it to themselves for fear that uncontrollable monster would eat them alive and tear their interiors if they don't get it out. Forcing the words to remain inside would then be the equivalent of wrestling bare handed with an enraged whitespine.

All people are different.

I was just trying to show one way to explain Renarin's logic.

Oh I did not write my post to be confrontational. Sorry if it was not obvious or if it was interpreted this way. I absolutely agree Renarin has his own logic which justify his actions. I simply wanted to highlight how what seems to be the right reaction for one person is entirely wrong for another.

I thought it was a fun exercise to compare how too extremes would react if placed in the same situation and I thought I phrased it in a creative way  :unsure:

I also echoed Ninja's post who says he finds it hard to understand as his behavioral pattern differs strongly. It helps putting in perspective why some readers relate more to certain characters. It is often hard, when a character is very far from us, to comprehend why he does what he does when he does. This thread was about why didn't Renarin tell anyone. Surely many readers wondered about it, probably those who would have spoken about it.

Hence, different people, different behavioral patterns, different thoughts on the same character. 

It was not meant to be detrimental towards anyone. For some telling their secrets is unbelievably hard, but for others it is not telling them which is harder. From their own perspectives, each extreme may find the other one hard to comprehend.

• 2 weeks later...

The almighty does not speak in ALL CAPS. The Stormfather does. Althought I am sure the god of divine hurricanes is a reasonable fellow :ph34r:.

Reasonable to that point that his "reasons" are "mind-blowing".

Edited by Alfa

• Chaos locked this topic