Why Didn’t Renarin Reveal His Radiancy?

ivoryblade

Renarin is depicted to be a light case of Asperger autism, combined with a social phobia.

(I know someone who is a high functioning Asperger and she has no general social fears but is quite extroverted)

Where is it stated Renarin has social phobia? It is quite the contrary, he is rather apt within social gathering. He has never expressed any unease at being surrounded by people and while he may prefer being left alone, he sure does not exhibit any phobia. 

I would like to propose a potential 'healing' for autism in-Cosmere. It makes the part of Renarin's personality that has substandard abilities compared with normal people (social skills and such) while retaining the enhanced parts (savant intelligence, etc.) I really don't know that much, but what do people think?

I would hate if this happened: keep an individual's strengths while removing him from his weaknesses... Arguably weaknesses tend to make characters more interesting unless they are horribly crippling or they prevent them from progressing. For what I could gathered, Renarin's autism isn't crippling. He is perfectly functional within society and would have likely gathered some skill with a sword had he not have epilepsy. It is only because his world forbids men to enter scholarships unless they are Ardent he appears skill-less. Had he chosen to enter the Ardentia, I wager we would have met a much different character.

So no.

I want Renarin's autism to remain. It makes him interesting just as other aspects of other characters make them interesting.

As for the healing, it will only heal what you think "isn't right about me". So, for example if Renarin viewed his eyesight as... (I can't find the right word, pardon me) sickness/disease, then it will be healed. Probably on Roshar medicine isn't advanced enough to diagnose poor eyesight in early childhood to give the child glasses. It probably occured later, so he didn't identify with it.

I wear glasses as long as I remember and feel strange without them, so I guess Stormlight wouldn't heal my eyes. Renarin probably later, so he may got used to them, but didn't view it as part of himself.

Not with currently known metals. I imagine you also couldn't steal autism with a spike (that we know of). Mood and anxiety disorders maybe, though? Zinc steals "emotional stability/fortitude"... I wonder where that will be taken.

Well, it's not like there aren't tons of the creatures like this around... He must have figured out that it's a spren. So it's not exactly "I am seeing things, I am going crazy" thing.

But, in the Vorin religion, isnt it seen as a bad thing, what is happening to Kal, Shallan, Renarin? ESPECIALLY to Renarin. I mean hearing screaming in your mind when you hold a blade you've been wanting to weild for a long time(dont meana specific blade), like his soldier brother, would seem like you were going insane. And we dont know if his spren was communicating, and explaining, what was happening to him.

I just dont think he didnt tell anyone because of Adolin. I dont think its a simple as hes thinks he crazy either. *He's not a stupid person,and he has to be piecing it together, bit by bit. Maybe he consulted Ardents(thats me now :) ). If he did, I doubt he did it frequently, considering he would be seen as asking about futuresight, which is seen as very evil in Vorinism. So he would be battling with the whole, " Am I going crazy, or is this all really happening to me?' So it does play a part I think. The big thing that stopped him was the whole seeing the future thing, in which Vorinism says is a skill of the Voidbringers. Basically as simple as that, I think.

EDIT*

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

But, in the Vorin religion, isnt it seen as a bad thing, what is happening to Kal, Shallan, Renarin? ESPECIALLY to Renarin. I mean hearing screaming in your mind when you hold a blade you've been wanting to weild for a long time(dont meana specific blade),

I guess he didn t want to disappoint his father, for that reason he didn t tell him about the screaming in his head.

As for the Vorin religion. I don t think that at this point in history the ardents still knew, that a more or less sentient spren talking to you meant you would become a Radiant. We don t know enough about  vorin theology and doctrin to determine how much factual knowledge they have about Radiants.

Renarin tells us he thought the problem was with himself which is why he didn't talk about it. He knew he was "different" and likely thought this was just "another aspect through which he differed from everyone else". I also suspect he did not want to admit he was not capable of yielding his Shardblade. There is a lot going on in Renarin's head which will likely be better explained at another time in the story.

This being said, it isn't Adolin's fault. Of all people, he is not responsible for this. 

This being said, it isn't Adolin's fault. Of all people, he is not responsible for this.

While it is not his fault, he may be part of the reason Renarin felt afraid of telling the truth.

Having the greatest duelist of the world as his brother pprobably made him feel he would be even more of a failure if he was unable of being a warrior, and he probably felt he would be striking a blow against his family if he ever admited hearing the screaming, a sure sign of insanity.

And better to not get started on the visions. If I remember right, Adolin explicitely said seeing the future was of the voidbringers, even after accepting his father's visions.

While it is not his fault, he may be part of the reason Renarin felt afraid of telling the truth.

Having the greatest duelist of the world as his brother pprobably made him feel he would be even more of a failure if he was unable of being a warrior, and he probably felt he would be striking a blow against his family if he ever admited hearing the screaming, a sure sign of insanity.

It seems Adolin likes and accepts his brother no matter what, something that I find is the highest recommendation for a person living in a society like that and growing up with the blackthorn as a father.

It seems Adolin likes and accepts his brother no matter what, something that I find is the highest recommendation for a person living in a society like that and growing up with the blackthorn as a father.

Yes, I don't believe Adolin would feel anything against his brother if he found the truth. But fear and logical thought do not mingle well, and Renarin was afraid.

And better to not get started on the visions. If I remember right, Adolin explicitely said seeing the future was of the voidbringers, even after accepting his father's visions.

He still is not to be accounted responsible for Renarin's life of misery. It isn't his fault he was born healthy and free of any disability, it isn't his fault he has a strong talent with the sword which happens to be favored in his society and it certainly isn't his fault if Renarin appears to have been ill-favored by genetic by the standard of their world (I don't want to imply Renarin isn't a worthy person, he is, I simply mean to say his strengths aren't exactly what his world currently favors. I am hoping for this to change.).

It also isn't Adolin's fault he was told since childhood visions were to be feared. It isn't his fault the Ardentia is propagating the information visions of futures are linked to the Viodbringers.

All in all it isn't his fault and it is false to blame Adolin for anything befalling Renarin. Having such disparate siblings is extremely hard to live with, for both parties, but it false to blame the one who appears the most successful. This is just wrong... Perhaps another day I'll explain why, but it may be a hard one to understand. 

Anyway, Renarin does not need Adolin being stressed out and worrying over visions he personally fears to be aware his society views them in a negative way. Besides, he did not even witness Adolin bout of anxiety. He does not need Adolin to state it out loud: Renarin knows very well how visions are being seen and received. 

It isn't Adolin fault. It just... life. Renarin was rightly afraid as his experience contradicted everything he has ever been told. In that optic, opening up to even close ones, may be hard. It may even be harder considering the fact Renarin likely was afraid to deceive them.

It just isn't anyone's fault.

I was just thinking about making that exact comment Garfield. He doesnt seem like the kind of brother to scoff at Renarin or to outright not believe him. Even if he didnt believe him, he would still comfort and reassure Renarin, while internally trying to formulate a way to help him. Not saying it would be some genius plan he would come up with. It is Adolin after all. But he would still try hard.

I was just thinking about making that exact comment Garfield. He doesnt seem like the kind of brother to scoff at Renarin or to outright not believe him.

We also have to keep in mind, Adolin's chosen Calling is not warfare or politics, it s duelling. That s more of a fairness based gentleman's activity, not something cunning, or crudely aggressive. He seems to be a very, very capable generic good guy growing up in a basin full of sharks and is only accpeted in his society because he is so good with a sword. With his attitude he is almost as much of a misfit in his society of cunning, backstabbing a-holes as his brother is.

Edited by Garfield

Don't forget Adolin only is half-Alethi... and so is Renarin. Clues are Adolin takes a lot after his mother... not surprising he is not exactly the picture perfect poster boy for the role-model Alethi despite having all the requisite skills.

I am very keen to find out about her. The Mother.

We also have to keep in mind, Adolin's chosen Calling is not warfare or politics, it s duelling. That s more of a fairness based gentleman's activity, not something cunning, or crudely aggressive. He seems to be a very, very capable generic good guy growing up in a basin full of sharks and is only accpeted in his society because he is so good with a sword. With his attitude he is almost as much of a misfit in his society of cunning, backstabbing a-holes as his brother is.

Very accurate. Ive never really thought of Adllin being a misfit, but he truly is. Without his dueling skill, he would be just as much as an outlier as Renarin. Maybe not just as much. He is considered to be very handsome (something Renarin isnt really considered to be), and is the heir to be the next Highprince of Kholinar to boot, so I think he wouod be relatively sought after, even without his dueling skill. I mean, he does kinda go thrpugh girls like candy. But tht might be because of his misfit qualities (such as how he has lunch with one chick, while courting another. A big no no apparently in Alethi society lol).Jasnah was. For a long time. Til everyone just kinda gave up lol. Sweet Jasnah.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Yeah, sweet Jasnah. LOL.

Adolin would duel you to get rid of you, Jasnah would send an assasin or soulcast you into a ball of fire. Sweet.

I see her as something like a Warhead candy. You have to indure the super, uber sourness, to get to her sweetness. I kinda wanted her to punch Hoid at the end of WoR, but it never happened. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

You mention his dueling skill, and I think that, if possible, it alienates him more. It gets him into certain social circles, but when he interacts with people inside those circles, it makes their ostracization of him that much more obvious.

Also very true. Man he is far, far more of an outlier than Ive ever thought. Plus, going back to my previous comment about him being considered handsome. Dont a lot of people look down on him for having mixed heritage? But its overlooked due to his stature in Alethi society. Meaning a close heir to the princedom?

You mention his dueling skill, and I think that, if possible, it alienates him more. It gets him into certain social circles, but when he interacts with people inside those circles, it makes their ostracization of him that much more obvious.

I think there are a lot of reasons why Adolin has a hard time fitting despite having an outgoing friendly personality. I could expand on 10 pages on the subject if anyone lets me, but I will avoid polluting this thread.

I see her as something like a Warhead candy. You have to indure the super, uber sourness, to get to her sweetness. I kinda wanted her to punch Hoid at the end of WoR, but it never happened.

Oh, I like Jasnah. It s just not very advisable to step on her toes. She is not very erratic in her aggression and her ultimate motivation always seemed rather constructive and not overly selfish.