Shadows of Self - Novel or Novella?

Mikanium

Alloy itself is not a novella, although it is shorter than the first trilogy. I'd imagine that Shadows of Self will be of a similar length. They are refresher side projects of Brandon's which tend to be less serious, more fun, and shorter.

Edited by Windrunner

Does anyone know if book 5 of the Mistborn Series (2014.. GAH!) Is going to be short like Alloy of Steel or as of the same length as the first trilogy?

Thanks!

Mikanium- The 17th metal.

Alloy of Law ^^

For what we know, it will be much or less the same than the first one, so shorter than any of the original trilogy. 

/>Alloy of Law was ~85,000 words

The Final Empire.. 214,752 (From Brandon's Site)

Saddened by the shortness of it, that's all.

Well, take into account that most novels fall into the 100-120K word category, so AoL is not really that short by most standards. Further, it started as a "breather" for Brandon before digging into AMoL revisions. That "breather" turned into a good chunk of material that is now spawning a potential ongoing series.

Just saying...

Mmhmm. I'm not arguing that it wasn't shorter, but it was definitely a full length novel. In fact it's over twice as long as the minimum requirement to be considered a novel (By the Hugo awards that is). If you can hold on until after Stormlight 5, I'm sure that we'll see a return to full length Mistborn novels :)

I, for one, am glad for The Mistborn Adventures' brevity. While all of the characters, as well as the story, are fun, I don't feel they would translate well to something the length of the other Mistborn books. AoL, and I expect Shadows of Self and beyond, is a short story (meaning it doesn't cover much time) and is very focused on a small group of people and situations. For Brandon to try to fit them or expand them into something as intricate as his other works would ruin the characters (IMHO, of course). Even though the end of AoL introduces some greater significance of the story to the world as a whole, I don't expect, nor do I hope, that the later stories will focus on these things too greatly. I actually see the Mistborn Adventures as sort of a prequel to the Second Trilogy. Brandon has said that AoL grew out of his world building for later novels, which suggests to me that the Wax/Wayne books will establish some backstory, maybe set up some threads for the Second Trilogy.

I don't mean this as criticism for wanting the books to be bigger, just posting some opinions. :)

Edited by GreyPilgrim

The Alloy of Law is 95,000 words. Steelheart is 109,000 words. The Rithmatist is 92,000 words (counting all the words on the diagrams).

I just saw the wrong length being thrown around for Alloy and wanted to set it straight. Anyway, Brandon had mentioned to me in the past that he expected Shadows of Self to be somewhat longer, perhaps around 150k. However, we won't really know until he finishes the book.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

• 7 months later...

So, I've been calling the Wax and wayne trilogy the Mistborn Trilogy 1.5 in some way. Is Mistborn Adventures the other accepted name other than the Wax and Wayne Trilogy? 

Mistborn Adventures is the official title, I believe.

• Chaos locked this topic