So.. how David DID figure out Sourcefield's weakness?

kroen

Tia kept asking him that in Firefight but David never gave an answer. Seeing as he only learned of Sourcefield's past-poisoning after he already killed her by exploiting her weakness, how did he guess her weakness in the first place? I really hope it's not a deus ex machina.

Edited by kroen

Found it: (Chapter 26)

I passed Tia’s room and was surprised when she called out.

“David?”

I hesitated by the door, then pushed it open farther. “Yeah?”

“How did you know?” Tia asked, head down over her datapad, typing something furiously. “About Sourcefield.”

Sourcefield. The Epic we’d killed just before leaving Newcago. I stepped forward, eager. “You found something more? About her background?”

“I’ve just recovered the truth about her grandparents,” Tia said with a nod. 

Edited by kroen

They knew her weakness from the very beginning, though. That's the whole setup at the beginning of the novel--David leads Sourcefield through an elaborate Kool-Aid obstacle course, and it's mentioned that the Reckoners spent days planning it, based on their knowledge of her weakness. Tia, I believe, was wondering how David knew Sourcefield's weakness was connected to her past.

Maybe you're right, maybe I was reading to much into it. Then again, how did anyone (Tia, lorists or otherwise) found about her weakness without finding first about her past? what, was Sourcefield's first action as a new Epic was to destroy Kool-Aid bottles and stuff? because that's pretty stupid of her if that's what she did.

To be fair, David had a photo of Nightweilder being corporeal in sunlight. As for Fortuity, I don't think it'd take too much spying to notice his precog abilities plummet near pretty women. But Kool-Aid? even if they spotted Sourcefield refusing to drink it, it might just be she doesn't like the taste.

Edited by kroen

Epics have a tendency to panic and grow angry when exposed to their weaknesses. A normal person would simply say "No thank you" if offered a glass of Kool-Aid; it's probably not too far a leap to assume Sourcefield overreacted when accidentally exposed to her weakness at some point. Of course, there's also the chance the lorists know more about Epics and weaknesses than they're letting on, and I'm not ruling that out.

Epics have a tendency to panic and grow angry when exposed to their weaknesses. A normal person would simply say "No thank you" if offered a glass of Kool-Aid; it's probably not too far a leap to assume Sourcefield overreacted when accidentally exposed to her weakness at some point. Of course, there's also the chance the lorists know more about Epics and weaknesses than they're letting on, and I'm not ruling that out.

In the same vein, I used to think Mitosis was an idiot for making his weakness so easy to guess by killing anyone in his vicinity who listened to music.

Now though, it's become clear that the sight of people listening to music must have provoked an irrational rage in Mitosis, which prompted him to overreact and murderize whoever was playing the music.

I interpreted it a bit differently. With Sourcefield, they [Reckoners] knew she avoided Kool-Aid, implying it was her weakness. They then attempted to splash her with it, and her powers were disrupted, but not cancelled. David then, via accident, gets her to drink some, which does cancel her powers, and he kills her. Tia, then, was asking how he knew Sourcefield had to drink it to cancel the powers.

In the same vein, I used to think Mitosis was an idiot for making his weakness so easy to guess by killing anyone in his vicinity who listened to music.

Now though, it's become clear that the sight of people listening to music must have provoked an irrational rage in Mitosis, which prompted him to overreact and murderize whoever was playing the music.

Actually, I think that there's a quote somewhere in Firefight where David says that he thinks that Epics are motivated to... y'know, do Epic stuff because of their fear.

• Chaos locked this topic