Magic the Gathering fans?

Gamma Fiend

Post it up! I'll throw up my most recent, fun r/w decklist I just recently made.

4x Lightnight Helix - deal 3 dmg, gain 3 life
4x lightning bolt -  deal 3 dmg
2x warleader Helix - deal 4 dmg gain 4 life
2x sunlance - deal 3 dmg to target nonwhite creature
4x Intimidation bolt - 3 dmg to a creature, creatures can't attack this turn
4x glory or warfare -  my creatures get +2 +0 on my turn, +0 +2 on opponent's turns
4x boros swiftblade - 1/2 doublestrike
4xskynight legionaire - 2/2 flying, haste
4x ceredon yearling - 2/2 vigilance, haste

2x Brian Stoutarm - 4/4 lifelink, pay a R, sac a creature, deal dmg equal to that creatures power to player
2x Ajani Vengeant  3loyalty. +1 permanent doesnt untap during next untap phase, -2 3dmg, gain 3 life, -7 destroy all target players lands

Basically just a bunch of burn/lifegain factor of r/w, and then some nice, hasty/doublestrike creatures pumped up by Glory or Warfare. Pretty straight forward, casual level deck. In competitive, it'd be picked apart too easily.

I quite like your deck, Gamma, though I would loathe to play against it. All my decks are too slow to deal with red/white aggro, and so I would get rather demolished. :P

If you wanted to improve it, I would suggest looking into Dictate of Heliod perhaps? For a single extra mana than Glory of Warfare, it buffs both Power and Toughness by 2, and has Flash. I need to get a load of copies for my own decks, but no-one wants to trade them :(

So I took a Green/White/Blue Golem-based deck to the Games Society today. It did surprisingly well, particularly since we play multiplayer and it's practically a straight beatdown deck.

23 Land

5 Island

10 Forest

8 Plains

16 Creatures

2 Blade Splicer - 1/1 who puts a 3/3 Golem into play and gives Golems First Strike.

4 Master Splicer - 1/1 who puts a 3/3 Golem into play and gives Golems +1/+1.

2 Sensor Splicer - 1/1 who puts a 3/3 Golem into play and gives Golems Vigilance.

2 Wing Splicer - 1/1 who puts a 3/3 Golem into play and gives Golems Flying.

2 Vital Splicer - 1/1 who puts a 3/3 Golem into play and gives Golems Regenerate for 1 Mana.

2 Maul Splicer - 1/1 who puts two 3/3 Golems into play and gives Golems Trample.

2 Precursor Golem - 3/3 Golem who puts two more 3/3 Golems into play, and whenever a spell targets a single one of my Golems, it gets coped for each other Golem. It's high risk/reward, but has worked out well so far.

8 Artifacts

1 Sol Ring - This deck is rather Mana hungry, and I don't want to run it in EDH. It seems somewhat fairer in casual, amusingly.

1 Darksteel Ingot - Indestructible mana source that should be a Chromatic Lantern, but I don't have another copy.

4 Horizon Spellbombs - Provide some mana fixing and a bit of draw, and also gives me something to do turn 1/2.

1 Thrumming Stone - An artifact I've wanted to use for ages which gives my spells Ripple 4 - Whenever a spell is cast by me, I reveal the top four cards of my library and can cast any with the same name. Even better, they have Ripple 4 too! I've gotten two free Master Splicers out like this today, and it's great fun :)

1 Conjurer's Closet - Simply exiles/returns one of my creatures during my end step. It gets me more Golems, basically, though I may replace it with the enchantment that just creates another token at the beginning of your upkeep.

2 Sorceries

1 Search For Tomorrow - A great mana ramp spell with Suspend. I only have one in this deck because the rest of my copies are already in other decks.

1 Rite of Replication - This is a hilarious card to use with Precursor Golem out. For four mana it copies a creature. For nine, it copies it five times. I don't think I need to tell you what this can do in this deck.

9 Instants

3 Rangers Guile - Instant Hexproof. Not much else to say. Thinking about taking it out though, since I didn't seem to need it today.

4 Sheltering Word - Hexproof and a small amount of lifegain. Gets rather powerful with Precursor Golem due to the sheer lifegain/protection it provides.

2 Unravel The Aether - Shuffles target God Artifact/Enchantment into their owner's library.

2 Enchantments

1 Journey to Nowhere - Exiles a creature, like Oblivion Ring, but slightly cheaper.

1 Tempered Steel - A flat +2/+2 buff to all my Golems.

I should have four Solemn Simulacrums in this deck, but they haven't arrived here yet. This deck worked surprisingly well, though I stress again it was multiplayer and casual. It gets destroyed in a duel against rush decks, but should be able to survive a slower game. The main problem is the lack of removal in it and the fact that the cheapest creature is 3 Mana, but there's not much I can do about that.

Edited by Wyrmhero

That's a pretty nice deck, I remember wanting to do something like that when all of those Golems came out. Definitely an interesting creature type.

Also, to try and get some nice actual game discussion going on in this ancient thread. (I even forgot I'm the one who started it!)

What are some different types of house rules people play with with their friends? I know there's the big difference between Casual and Competitive play.
How do you usually do Mulligans? Free one, or Penalty?
Do you allow people to play 'Slops' (they cast the wrong card, not paying attention and can take it back, fix how they spend/tap mana, etc.)

We usually do free mulligans and are pretty sloppy with our Instant speeds sometimes, I have been trying to get the people I play with more towards strict, official ruling. Just because some of the rules are starting to get abused.

Have any of you ever heard of "Draw 2, Drop 2" play style? Where all players get to Draw 2 cards on their turn, and play up to 2 lands? I can understand this game style for beginning players wanting to get games going 'faster'. But around here, people just abuse this game style so hardcore. Getting ridiculous mana ramps, landfall, mill/discard gets twice as much fodder. I was just wondering if this was a game style that was popular or played all over, or if it was just something from around here.
(I'm obviously not a fan of this play style. But when everybody's doing insistent on doing something one way..... if you can't beat them, join them. ;)

I think I'll be taking out the Ranger's Guiles and the Search for Tomorrow for Solemn Simulacrums. Considering getting a single copy of Xenograft for it as well, to turn my humans into Golems.

So generally speaking, we as a group play a multiplayer free-for-all with up to five people, and do different games if more turn up. There's also usually a second group in the room who exclusively plays EDH, which I don't often join.

So with my own, more casual group, we usually do the first mulligan is free, then unless everyone else mulligans, the next is one card less, etc. We generally don't make people start with less than five cards in hard though, since that just cripples you and the game becomes entirely unfun.

For the most part, we allow people to take back spells and abilities if they've missed something, since with so many people, so many permanents, and such a large distance between you and the players opposite, it's incredibly easy. We won't allow it if the rest of us have been discussing that very thing though. We sometimes give leeway with responding to things, but if the stack's been utterly cleared and the next card has been played/phase has begun, we put our foot down. It's kind of a collective thing.

Other than that, we play other formats, probably one a session max. Sometimes we play Star/Pentagon for a simpler game. Every so often, we introduce people to the Emperor format, just to prove my point about how unfun it is in general terms. We also rarely do Planechase or Archenemy (with me and my Angels or Dragons deck being the Archenemy). If we get six players or eight, we'll either split into two groups or play Two Headed Giant.

We call 'Draw 2, drop 2' over here by the name of the enchantment that gives that effect to all players - Rites of Flourishing, usually accompanied by me getting the card out of my trades folder and putting it in the center of the table. We don't often play it, instead preferring the 'Lunchtime' format. Lunchtime is 'Draw 3, drop any number', which is ridiculous. We go into it expecting to be ridiculous, we don't take it seriously, and we don't often play it. We all kind of agree to not play decks that abuse the rules, unless we all abuse it (which can be very silly). So I've not yet played my Land-based deck (as in, a deck based on lands rather than ramp and big creatures) under either Lunchtime or Rites of Flourishing rules*.

*Having said that, why doesn't my land deck have my copy of Rites in it? Going to have to rectify that.**

**Oh, the reason is because it's apparently more useful in my EDH deck.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A bit of a thread-necro here. :P

I was just randomly wondering if anyone else on here plays Magic The Gathering: Online. I just signed up for it and downloaded the app, familiarizing myself with the interface, and bout to start checking some games out, see how it goes. Just seeing if anyone else on here uses it, that way we can get each other added up to play together and whatnot!

I just started playing Magic this past fall and I've mostly been playing limited so far (I've built an EDH deck, but I don't have as many opportunities to play with it as I'd like). I tried playing Magic Online but unfortunately my computer (a 5yr old laptop) doesn't seem to be able to handle the software. Otherwise I would definitely add you!

I've been playing for years, quit for a while in High School, but then in college, half the people in my hall in the dorm played, so I picked it back up. Recently my friends seem to mostly only want to do drafts, which is a little annoying for me.

Never did get into the online game. I had a version of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, but it was so limited that I never really liked it. Well that and a couple of instances where it didn't know the rules well enough and resulted in problems for me.

I'm considering going to the upcoming pre-release event. I have not played since the original Ravnica set and mostly only played during Ravnica and Guildpact. I honestly have little experience building my own decks and I don't remember some rules (mainly certain effects) and I would definitely have no knowledge regarding any newer effects. Should I even bother?

Online would mean rebuying all the cards though...

You can play online for free through programs like Cockatrice and XMage. Games like Duels of the Planeswalkers are standalone and all you can buy are deck packs to unlock cards. You don't get access to all cards like normal real-life, or Wizards' online, Magic. Customization is very minimal.

I'm considering going to the upcoming pre-release event. I have not played since the original Ravnica set and mostly only played during Ravnica and Guildpact. I honestly have little experience building my own decks and I don't remember some rules (mainly certain effects) and I would definitely have no knowledge regarding any newer effects. Should I even bother?

I went to the most recent pre-release when I was still a very new player, and still managed to have a lot of fun!

There is kind of a base set of abilities that you would need to remember, most others have explanatory text..  flying, First Strike, haste, and so forth though are such common keywords, that they are generally not explained, except in core sets.  that said, pretty sure wizards has a guide (not just the comprehensive rulebook, which is super arcane and specific) on their site with some basic info.  it should probably be enough to refresh your memory.

There is kind of a base set of abilities that you would need to remember, most others have explanatory text..  flying, First Strike, haste, and so forth though are such common keywords, that they are generally not explained, except in core sets.  that said, pretty sure wizards has a guide (not just the comprehensive rulebook, which is super arcane and specific) on their site with some basic info.  it should probably be enough to refresh your memory.

Oh yeah I remember most of those. I consider those the basics. I had meant set-specific effects like Dredge (only one I can remember off the top of my head.) You might know what I'm referring to but I don't remember what those are called. My fault on miscommunication.

Oh yeah I remember most of those. I consider those the basics. I had meant set-specific effects like Dredge (only one I can remember off the top of my head.) You might know what I'm referring to but I don't remember what those are called. My fault on miscommunication.

The keywords in Fate Reforged that you need to keep an eye on are:

Bolster X - Just put X +1/+1 counters on your creature with the weakest Toughness when it happens. No targeting required.

Raid - Pay an alternative cost, play the creature with Haste. If it survives the turn, it returns to your hand.

Manifest - Oh boy. You place the top card of your deck (usually) facedown as a 2/2 creature. You may look at it. If it's a creature, you may pay its mana cost to turn it face up at any time. If it has Morph, you may pay that cost instead.

Returning from Khans of Tarkir:

Outlast - Whenever you could play a sorcery, you can tap it and pay mana to put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Delve - As you pay for a spell, you may Exile (remove from the game for old-timers :P) any number of cards to reduce the cost of that spell by one colourless Mana each. Returns in FRF.

Ferocious - When the spell/effect resolves, if you have a creature with at least four power, an extra effect triggers. Returns in FRF.

Prowess - Whenever you cast a non-creature spell (so Sorcery, Instant, Enchantment, Artifact or Planeswalker), it gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Returns in FRF.

Raid - If you attacked with a creature this turn already, an extra effect occurs (so usually casting spells in the second main phase).

Morph - You may cast a creature with Morph for three colourless mana. If you do, it is played facedown, and can be turned up for its Morph cost without using the stack. All facedown creatures are colourless 2/2 creatures with no name or abilities. Returns in FRF.

Aside from that, a few rules changes and new keywords:

Damage no longer uses the stack.

Mana burn does not exist.

The Legendary Rule is now per player rather than for everyone.

Deathtouch means that any damage the creature deals is lethal.

When two creatures Fight, they deal damage to each other equal to their Power.

Lifelink means that as the creature/spell deals damage, it's controller gains that much life instantly.

Planeswalkers are a new card type, and have way too many rules for me to summarise well. I'd suggest looking them up elsewhere.

One in eight booster packs will have a Mythic Rare in it rather than a Rare. An MR is usually unique and powerful, if not the most useful of cards all the time.

If you do decide to go along, I hope you have a great time seeing how the game has changed :). People don't quit Magic, they just take long breaks.

Edited by Wyrmhero

And in relation to those block/set specific keywords: they will generally have the explanatory text on the card for them.  so it really should be just the basics you have to remember.

also, some other basics changes, that I think happened post ravnica:

-remove from the game is now exile

-in play is now the battlefield, or on the battlefield

-creatures now die (sent to the graveyard from play.  pretty sure everyone already called this dying anyway)

think that covers it...

The Legendary Rule is now per player rather than for everyone.

...what...

Deathtouch means that any damage the creature deals is lethal.

...the...

One in eight booster packs will have a Mythic Rare in it rather than a Rare. An MR is usually unique and powerful, if not the most useful of cards all the time.

...heck...

When two creatures Fight, they deal damage to each other equal to their Power.

Wasn't this how it was before?

Edited by Blaze1616

Wasn't this how it was before?

No, "Fight" is a new keyword.  Basically you have to pick 2 creatures, usually one you control and one you dont, but the card/ability will specify, and they fight each other, which means something like "each creature deals damage equal to its power to the other creature"  this is somethign that is a spell or ability, independent of combat, and ignoring abilities like first strike or double strike.

oh, another keyword they may have added: reach (can block as though it had flying)