Magic the Gathering fans?

Gamma Fiend

Two things matter hugely when playing a mill deck (I'm assuming casual here, I don't think there are enough cards to make a standard mill deck, and modern mill is fairly established and dubious in these days of Dredge and hyperfast aggro decks)

1. Have an answer to graveyard decks and Eldrazi Titans and other shuffle-graveyard-into-library-style effects. If you do not, that's basically an immediate loss for you, it's rough to race a dedicated graveyard deck when every spell you cast makes them stronger, and the only way to beat the a shuffle effect is to hope they draw the Titan or don't draw/recurr their shuffle effect. Ways to do this might be to include exile effects, particularly at instant speed. Pricier examples would be Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void, but other examples are things like Bojuka Bog, Ravenous Trap, Scavenging Ooze, and so on.
  2. Creatures generally speaking won't help you mill your opponent. Problem is that without them, you're going to die quickly to creature decks, as they build up their capabilities along both axes of board presence and lands, whilst yours is fairly linear in line with the amount of land you have. It's tough to run enough removal to deal with this as well as stick to milling your opponent, so you need enough creatures to gum up the board state and discourage attacking. Examples of good creatures which also mill are Doorkeeper, Ambassador Laquatus, Dreamborn Muse (though this one can backfire), Chancellor of the Spires (though not too many, as they're expensive and not hugely likely to be in your opening hand), Balustrade Spy, and Nemesis of Reason. Doorkeeper can lead to a pretty effective defender strategy alongside Phenax, and a Sultai mill deck can get access to Axebane Guardian for huge ramp potential, letting you power out pretty huge X spells like Mind Grind.

Of course, you've then got the more combo-y styles of mill - Grindstone/Sphinx's Tutelage combined with Painter's Servant instantly mills (or practically instantly mills in the latter's case) your opponent's entire deck as soon as they get triggered. Only two real problems with this - Firstly that the Servant is a bit pricey, and secondly that if your friend group doesn't like counterspells or removal much, it will ruin the game for them and they'll refuse to play against it. Really that's true of any combo deck in casual, but it's worth noting.

Also, if you play multiplayer like me a lot, you do need to make sure you can survive. Don't expect to win though if you're against many players. Like Infect, mill is a win condition that won't come up in a normal game. Other players aren't going to be helping you unless you jam four copies of Mindcrank into your decks (which is fun, but suboptimal for a pure mill deck). What that generally means is that as soon as someone is close to dying from mill they will focus on you. Against one player, surviving isn't too bad, but if you instead spread the mill out, they'll all focus on you when they get low, knock you out, and then continue the game without you. This is why you need to consistently be able to defend yourself. Things like Propaganda/Ghostly Prison help a lot here, but having a decent creature density is always important too.

Unfortunately, can't link a few examples of mills decks I've made at the moment, I might do later on if you're interested. But anyway, those are my suggestions for things to keep in mind for casual mill.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 9 months later...

I love magic. I have two decks, and I made my sister one for herself.
My favourite thing about Magic is that you don't need to spend a but load of money, and every deck has a weakness.
A deck composed of commons could destroy a hyped up legendary creature deck, if you knew what you were going against.

Edited by Servillius

2 hours ago, Servillius said:

A deck composed of commons could destroy a hyped up legendary creature deck, if you knew what you were going against.

a friend of mine had a deck that contained a bunch of rare artifacts and enchantments, so I threw together an otherwise terrible deck full of disenchants and the like that completely shut him down.  my deck was garbage against anyone else, but it stopped him in his tracks.

2 hours ago, Servillius said:

I love magic. I have two decks, and I made my sister one for herself.
My favourite thing about Magic is that you don't need to spend a but load of money, and every deck has a weakness.

I'd disagree about the first one if you are really competitive or wanted to play standard you'll throw in money alot. But yeah magic is pretty versatile and generally great.

Haven't played magic in years but i have very fond memories of that game. I still have my cards around too.

So speaking of commons and their potential, one of my favourite formats, though not official in paper form, is Pauper - Only cards printed at some point at common rarity are allowed! (plus a small banlist, naturally). What it ends up being like is vintage-light, with combo, aggro and control all represented quite nicely, with the powerful spells of yesteryear combined with the stronger creatures of today. I played in the London GP Pauper tournament in January, and went 2-1 with this list, losing to a UR Blitz deck (mostly consists of Kiln Fiend and cheap draw spells) and beating a BG Energy aggro deck and a WG Sliver tribal deck.

Spoiler

// 60 Maindeck
// 25 Creature
1 Krosan Tusker
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Golgari Brownscale
4 Grave Scrabbler
1 Auramancer
4 Satyr Wayfinder
2 Stinkweed Imp
2 Arrogant Wurm
2 Tilling Treefolk
1 Battlefield Scrounger
2 Sanitarium Skeleton
1 Crypt Rats
1 Spore Frog

// 11 Enchantment
4 Tortured Existence
2 Dead Weight
3 Vessel of Nascency
2 Journey to Nowhere

// 2 Instant
2 Gnaw to the Bone

// 22 Land
1 Plains
9 Forest
2 Blossoming Sands
4 Jungle Hollow
2 Scoured Barrens
4 Swamp

// 15 Sideboard
// 10 Creature
SB: 2 Fume Spitter
SB: 1 Golgari Brownscale
SB: 1 Spore Frog
SB: 2 Arashin Cleric
SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
SB: 2 Qasali Pridemage

// 2 Enchantment
SB: 2 Journey to Nowhere

// 1 Instant
SB: 1 Patrician's Scorn

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Shrivel

What you end up finding about Pauper is that it's very high power level despite being much more affordable - The above deck, a very fun WBG Tortured Existence combo/grind engine, only really contains a few expensive parts, and of those, only Tortured Existence itself and Grave Scrabbler are really key to the deck. Full price for everything, including the sideboard (which probably needs updating for the meta, but I don't play anymore physically, so...) is roughly $40, or under 15 Tix on MTGO. This is probably not the best version of the deck though, most of them are either Red-Black or Green-Black, but I like the colour combination and what it offers, so I didn't really want to drop down to the two colour version.

The deck is basically a combo deck, except most parts of your deck are potential combo pieces. Satyr Wayfinder and the Stinkweed Imp are used to dump cards in your graveyard, and Vessel of Nascency and Auramancer help you find a copy of Tortured Existence. This is, of course, the important part that is irreplaceable. You discard creatures to get back other creatures, so you can play them again. But that doesn't sound so impressive, does it? You're just recurring common creatures after all... Enter Grave Scrabbler, and on occasion Arrogant Wurm (alas, its red equivalent from Planar Chaos is uncommon), and Sanitarium Skeleton. They allow you to break parity using their Madness effect (or its ability for the skeleton), resulting in Grave Scrabbler being a 2/2 creature costing 1BB that gets you back two creatures from your graveyard to your hand, or in the Wurm's case, a 4/4 trampler for 2GB getting you one back. And in Pauper, most creatures cap at 3 toughness, only really Gurmag Angler sees play above that, so the Wurm does a lot of damage. Plus, if it dies, so what? It took something out and you can get it back! :P 

The deck is also quite defensively capable, able to recur Spore Frogs infinitely to prevent your opponent ever dealing combat damage, or using Golgari Brownscale (often discarding to get another copy of itself to your hand, resulting in 2 life gained for B as much as you can afford it and at instant speed) or Gnaw to the Bone to get a ton of life. Stinkweed Imp and Sanitarium Skeleton can also gum up the board quite nicely, and Auramancer can recur your Dead Weights to pick off 2-toughness creatures (of which there are a good number in Pauper). Basically, the longer the game goes, the more likely you are to win. The deck's weakness as I've built it is to decks such as Izzet Blitz which combo out faster on their turn and require instant speed responses - If I was changing the sideboard, I'd definitely put in some Doom Blades.

Also worth noting, since you mentioned it above, the deck does hilariously well against more modern decks because the power level of Tortured Existence, despite it being a common (it really should be rare), is quite high, and most decks aren't equipped to deal with an engine like this in standard. I'm honestly surprised they've never reprinted it in a Commander deck or anything similar, because it's very fun to use and abuse as well.

...Or, if you want all-in combo, why not One Land Spy?

Spoiler

// 60 Maindeck
// 8 Artifact
4 Lotus Petal
4 Conjurer's Bauble

// 24 Creature
4 Tinder Wall
4 Wild Cantor
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Balustrade Spy
2 Dimir House Guard
1 Anarchist
4 Street Wraith
1 Wirewood Guardian

// 16 Instant
4 Dark Ritual
4 Songs of the Damned
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Manamorphose

// 1 Land
1 Forest

// 11 Sorcery
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Land Grant
2 Morgue Theft
1 Haunting Misery

// 15 Sideboard
// 9 Creature
SB: 1 Blood Celebrant
SB: 1 Cavern Harpy
SB: 1 Pit Keeper
SB: 1 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
SB: 4 Ingot Chewer
SB: 1 Mnemonic Wall

// 5 Instant
SB: 4 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Flaring Pain

// 1 Sorcery
SB: 1 Reverent Silence

It's as dumb as it looks and easy to dismantle, and very tricky to play, but you can surprise your opponents with this and snatch wins off people unprepared for it. You mulligan for your Forest or a Land Grant, play whichever of them so you have no lands in your deck, then you play some rituals to get Balustrade Spy out, mill your opponent out, and play (or first use Conjurer's Bauble to return it from your graveyard to your hand) Haunting Misery, exiling your graveyard and dealing 20 damage to your opponent. Yes, any lifegain pretty much stops the combo. But it's hilarious when it does work, and proves that all-in combo is possible in any format :P.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 8 months later...

For those who don't know, we've now had Davriel spoiled, Sanderson's canonical Planeswalker creation from his free novella Children of the Nameless.

https://scryfall.com/card/war/83/davriel-rogue-shadowmage
https://scryfall.com/card/war/84/davriels-shadowfugue

Note that he's intentionally a weaker card than usual, as he's one of the Planeswalkers at uncommon in a Planeswalker-heavy set, and so should be viewed more akin to an enchantment. He's a nice discard effect, especially with proliferate, and his static effect means that he's a solid clock late in the game anyway and useful when your opponent has no cards for you to discard. Definitely a solid inclusion in any Black limited deck, and potentially in standard or budget 8-rack decks.

I'm a little disappointed he wasn't a two-colour Planeswalker at rare, but that's not too surprising when he hasn't been a part of the Nicol Bolas plotline yet. I'd really like to see his full-power card, particularly since he was designed with a view to becoming more important going forwards.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, Wyrmhero said:

For those who don't know, we've now had Davriel spoiled, Sanderson's canonical Planeswalker creation from his free novella Children of the Nameless.

He's in MtG:Arena now, too, and his dialogue snippets are pretty much exactly on point. (A random phrase will trigger whenever his passive ability deals damage or you use his -1.) The one thing I haven't heard him mention (not yet, anyway) is how much he really doesn't want to be here.

Edit: So I was reading through the War of the Spark story recap and found this:

The two mysterious Walkers (Wanderer in her white garb and Cane in his black) even fight together and make it all the way to the center of the conflict.

Could the Wanderer be Tacenda? Protecting her people does seem to be her MO, and her spark is slightly defective. Though she does use a sword, and I'm not sure we ever saw Tacenda do that effectively.

Edited by Exalted Dungeon Master

So I haven't played magic IRL in over 15 years (I've dabbled with the Magic: Duels app a little, but that's it), but when I heard that Davriel was making it into the game it sparked (pun intended) my interest again, so I just went to a pre-release event last weekend and played a few rounds. I had a lot of fun, and it reminded me how much fun (and expensive) it can be to collect cards and build a deck and pit it against other people. 

But the main highlight was that a good friend of mine traded me 2 copies of Davriel- one foiled and one regular. I also pulled a Davriel's Shadowfugue in one of my packs. Now I just need to get to another one of Brandon's signings so that I can get my cards signed (I also have a couple Vin promo cards that I still need to get signed). 

Ok. I just got so lucky I had to share it. I was playing in a booster draft tournament today, mainly because I wanted to get davriel without sifting through a dozen booster packs, and was crossing my fingers nobody else in my pool would go dimir or mill and take him instead. Fortunately, I was the only one aiming for that deck type, and I got both him and davriel's subterfuge. But then, I got even luckier. I opened my last pack, and low and behold, there sat Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God B). I seriously considered going 3 colors and drafting him into my deck, but decided it would be pretty hard to add in enough good red cards to make up for it after already committing to dimir. But still. That's probably the best draw in a tournament I'll ever get.

5 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Ok. I just got so lucky I had to share it. I was playing in a booster draft tournament today, mainly because I wanted to get davriel without sifting through a dozen booster packs, and was crossing my fingers nobody else in my pool would go dimir or mill and take him instead. Fortunately, I was the only one aiming for that deck type, and I got both him and davriel's subterfuge. But then, I got even luckier. I opened my last pack, and low and behold, there sat Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God B). I seriously considered going 3 colors and drafting him into my deck, but decided it would be pretty hard to add in enough good red cards to make up for it after already committing to dimir. But still. That's probably the best draw in a tournament I'll ever get.

#jealous

15 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Wow that's awesome.

I actually got Davriel in a booster this weekend (fortunatly it was the first one I opened) =) So now I'm going to get that card signed when I see Brandon in Stuttgart :D and then I need to make a DimirDeck to play him in.

22 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Wow that's awesome.

I actually got Davriel in a booster this weekend (fortunatly it was the first one I opened) =) So now I'm going to get that card signed when I see Brandon in Stuttgart :D and then I need to make a DimirDeck to play him in.

I've had some fun playing him in my oldest deck, a Rakdos discard deck - He pairs really well with Lavaborn Muse, Hellfire Mongrel, Asylum Visitor, and even potentially Hollowborn Bargest as a curve-topper. His discard effect is nice to force opponents down to the range where the above cards work, and the fact you can spread it over several turns works really nicely as a surgical strike, rather than something like Mind Rot which is a one-and-done deal. His static ability helps a lot too, as he doubles as both an enabler and a win condition.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Edit: So I was reading through the War of the Spark story recap and found this:

Could The Wanderer be Tacenda? Protecting her people does seem to be her MO, and her spark is slightly defective. Though she does use a sword, and I'm not sure we ever saw Tacenda do that effectively.

Sadly not, there's a good number of reasons that say otherwise:

• I can't see that they wouldn't just call her Tacenda, as there's no 'mystery' as to who Tacenda is. The Wanderer hides her identity, but Tacenda has no reason to.
  • Brandon also only got the go-ahead to create one Planeswalker for the book, and while they might upgrade Tacenda to be a Planeswalker, as far as canon is concerned, she isn't one right now until we hear otherwise. She's 'just' got a Worldsoul inside her, which lets her move between Planes. Similar to, but not the same as, a Planeswalker. As such, she doesn't have a Spark, just an unusual ability to travel between worlds.
  • The Wanderer is a powerful warrior, noted to be one of the best in the multiverse, but Tacenda isn't, she's a Bard-like character primarily. 
  • She's monowhite, or at least more White than any other colour, and Tacenda is mostly Red (song magic is emotion). 
  • She uses kinetic energy (requiring being hit to have power) as her magic, which Tacenda doesn't.
  • She's apparently known to Sarkhan Vol, though we have no reason as to why. Tacenda hasn't really been around long enough to be known to him, and Sarkhan's been in his personal heaven of Dragon!Tarkir since before SoI.
  • Finally, The Wanderer's style of dress doesn't fit Innistrad, seeming more Asian than Teutonic. Perhaps she's Tarkiri herself? Her hair is also white, while Tacenda's is brown.

So, overall, the evidence is pretty conclusive that The Wanderer is a new character, and isn't Tacenda (and definitely isn't Emrakul!). I think it will be a while (if ever) before we see Tacenda again in Magic's plot, though perhaps they'll delve into Worldsouls as a concept more, as Davriel's meant to become a more important character in the future. I think Davriel and The Wanderer teaming up is mostly just because they appeared next to each other, Davriel saw she's a good fighter so doesn't have to do much himself, or perhaps they just know each other, as Davriel's been around a lot and The Wanderer has no choice but to travel as well.

On 7.5.2019 at 2:15 PM, Wyrmhero said:

I've had some fun playing him in my oldest deck, a Rakdos discard deck - He pairs really well with Lavaborn Muse, Hellfire Mongrel, Asylum Visitor, and even potentially Hollowborn Bargest as a curve-topper. His discard effect is nice to force opponents down to the range where the above cards work, and the fact you can spread it over several turns works really nicely as a surgical strike, rather than something like Mind Rot which is a one-and-done deal. His static ability helps a lot too, as he doubles as both an enabler and a win condition.

I was actually thinking of playing him in a Black/Blue Deck and pairing him up with Raider's Wake for some extra damage and then look for more discard (Digress, Divest, Burgler Rat and Thought Erasure come to mind) and perhaps throw in Thief of Sanity for fun.

But I don't think it will be a fun deck to play against like that.

So I finished reading the War of the Spark novel yesterday. It was... not great (to put it nicely). Especially for those of us who are used to Sanderson standards of writing. No character development, dull and predictable plot, the action scenes were incredibly dry and boring. Davriel does have a couple cameos in it, but you can tell from them that the author never read Children of the Nameless. 

It does tell you the story of what happens in War of the Spark, so there’s that. Really, it’s like a B-movie except in book-form. If you like B-movies and you’re really into Magic, then you might enjoy the book. If you just want to know what happens with all your favorite MtG characters but don’t want to waste your time and money on this book, send me a PM and I’ll tell you everything that happens. ;) 

12 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Davriel does have a couple cameos in it, but you can tell from them that the author never read Children of the Nameless. 

That's just sad. I mean if you are going to write a character which you didn't make yourself you should look at his background story. Simply to get him right.

By the way the Davriel Deck works rather well. Not something you could play in modern or a tournament but it's fun for a couple casual matches. Especcially when after the first match your opponent get's really scared of Davriel's continued damage =)

2 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

That's just sad. I mean if you are going to write a character which you didn't make yourself you should look at his background story. Simply to get him right.

Well to be fair the author had to squeeze in cameos for dozens and dozens of planeswalkers. Many of them, even some fairly major characters, only got brief mentions. And as I think about it, since CotN only came out about 5 months ago, the author probably never got a chance to read it before writing War of the Spark. He probably only got a brief description of Davriel’s powers and was told to give him a cameo. It’s clear he didn’t know anything about Davriel’s personality. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

By the way the Davriel Deck works rather well. Not something you could play in modern or a tournament but it's fun for a couple casual matches. Especcially when after the first match your opponent get's really scared of Davriel's continued damage =)

Sweet. I’m still waiting for the chance to try mine out. :) 

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Well to be fair the author had to squeeze in cameos for dozens and dozens of planeswalkers. Many of them, even some fairly major characters, only got brief mentions. And as I think about it, since CotN only came out about 5 months ago, the author probably never got a chance to read it before writing War of the Spark. He probably only got a brief description of Davriel’s powers and was told to give him a cameo. It’s clear he didn’t know anything about Davriel’s personality. :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware, Weisman is not an MtG fan, and hasn't immersed himself in the story or lore to the degree that the fans will have. He'll have been provided with an overview and specifics about each character, and all the information he requested, as we saw with Sanderson and his novella, but you kind of need to know the right questions to ask in the first place. This, coupled with the sheer number of characters that were required to make cameos, meant you'd never get anything more than a shallow examination of everyone. It'd be fine in a TV show or movie, because you can cram so much, much more in frames of film than in the written word. A cameo of Davriel in full costume could be a small bonus in the background of a scene, a quick bit of fanservice in a film, but needs to take up space to explain in a book. I think that's a big part of the issue, as Weisman is a screenwriter, not a book writer. so he probably approached it how he's used to writing things, when it needed a different approach.

But really, the book just serves too many masters. It's the payoff for over a decade of plotting by Bolas for enfranchised players, with many call-backs to fan-favourites, but also you have Teyo and Rat giving the new person 'everyman' PoV and exposition. Rat knowing everything about everything in particular is contrived, even more than Magic's storyline usually is. The idea for her character is pretty unique, and would be very strong as a main character in a standalone story, but packaged with her role in the book it just feels 'too special'. I think that WAR as a set is a lot, lot better at telling the story than the book, because it's clear and concise and has a definite purpose.

It's also not helped either that the prequel was delayed (it's mad they gave it to another author, in my opinion, and reminds me of the worst parts of Storm and Rath), essentially meaning you have part 2 of the trilogy but not the first book in the series. It's obvious to say this, but they should've treated it as a story for long-time fans, rather than treating it as marketing material for new players.

But then, I've read the Ravnica series, Urza's books, and reread Time Spiral lately, and while some are good, ultimately it was never anything more than pulp fantasy/sci-fi. You were never going to get great stories, and while certain snippets of the Uncharted Realms stories were very good (Ixalan as a whole and the Yahenni stories in KLD in particular), it's never been fantastic. It's a story written by committee, which always causes problems.

Ultimately, I feel that's the issue - It's not 'one person's creative vision' like Children of the Nameless, where Sanderson had almost total creative control over his story and characters and knew the world off-by-heart, but an exercise in marketing to write a book that hits specific plot points and includes specific characters and explains specific concepts to new readers, by an author who probably doesn't know enough about the game and its world to take anything more than a shallow cut.

Don't get me wrong though - I certainly couldn't have done better, I'm not good at longform writing (despite the praise my Sanderson Elimination writeups have gotten :P), but one would hope that someone paid to do it would do better, at least. It's just a disappointment of a novel, more than anything, and the most damning thing I can say about it is that it's mediocre, and won't stick in peoples' minds for good or bad. It's just a very forgettable experience.

Edited by Wyrmhero

5 hours ago, Wyrmhero said:

Don't get me wrong though - I certainly couldn't have done better,

I’m pretty sure you could have done better @Wyrmhero<_<

Anyone else wish that they had simply broken open their piggy bank and hired Brandon to write it for them?

Edited by Herowannabe

8 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

No not really because then he wouldn't have as much time for SA4.

yea, i don't read the MTG books anyway.  the handful I did read didn't do all that much for me.  i'd rather Brandon focus on writing hsi own stuff which i'll actually read.

On 5/11/2019 at 0:11 AM, Herowannabe said:

I’m pretty sure you could have done better @Wyrmhero. <_<

Anyone else wish that they had simply broken open their piggy bank and hired Brandon to write it for them?

Hey, remember that he turned down their money for Children of the Nameless so it would be available for free. He's such a fanboy :P

...But yeah, more SA4 for now ;)

On 5/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, Wyrmhero said:

Hey, remember that he turned down their money for Children of the Nameless so it would be available for free. He's such a fanboy :P

Yeah I know. I wonder what he would have said if they had asked him to write War of the Spark...