Magic the Gathering fans?

Gamma Fiend

Not sure if theres another place for this thread, but good place as any I figure.

Now I KNOW there has to be quite a few MTG players on these boards.
Discuss?

(I havent played in a year or two, but I still have my decks constructed, and it's just fun to keep up on)

Edited by Gamma Fiend

I haven't really played since before Innistrad. Cards just started getting crazy. My big 3 decks are White Knights, An Abyssal Persector/kill spell black deck, and my favorite is a White/Red Equipment/Metalcraft deck. It uses Sunforger with Puresteel Paladin (0) equip cost and is just a toolkit instant deck as well. Very versatile and heavy hitting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Kinda started playing Casually, with a few friends who are far more into it than I am.

have no intention of starting to play Standard... Don't have the cash. I literally only have the first deck I bought - Tibalt Vs Sorin,

And of that - I split with brother, so I have Tibalt Cards Only. I am constantly being told they are terrible cards 

HOWEVER

Today, I had my revenge.

Firstly, I beat my mate Twice in a row when he was playing with Avacyn Restored, White/Blue Event deck. [Humanity's Vengeance] (Don't know how good it was - still too newbie to tell) with my Tibalt the Fiend-Blooded deck (Stock Tibalt deck from the Duel Deck - Sorin Vs Tibalt).

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/237b

Then, four of us played Plane-Chase, with My Brother using Sorin, and my to other friends playing Avacyn Restored White/Blue and Avacyn Restored Black [Death's Encroach] Event Decks.

I eventually won using Tibalt's Ultimate ability.

Gathering all creatures to my side - and blasting each of them in one turn. I had an 8/8 Scourge Devil from The Plane - Jund - with a load of theirs they were history.

Of course, it is probably the single best turn I have ever had with a poor deck. So I like to savor it.

That was Victory 1 and 2.

Victory 3, was convincing said friend to get one of the 2013 Commander decks when they are released, which I am very excited for.

There. 

Edited by Haradion Drogon

I've been around on and off since 10th edition... the first Ravnica cycled out and I was sad I mostly missed it, and then the new Ravnica came along and... didn't really excite me in the end.

I play pretty casually because the sets cycle far too quickly, though I do tend to lock my decks to a couple of adjacent sets. You see, sometimes it takes me a year to get a deck working right. Classic example is my Zendikar-Scars Blue-Black artifact deck. I saw Golem Foundry and wanted to make a deck abusing it with proliferate... each of its incarnations failed in their own special ways until I arrived at its current working form... and I LOVE it! So much SYNERGY!!!

My other favourite deck (Just Innistrad sets) plays with the Mystic Retrieval-Runic Repitition-Arcane Melee interaction.... it gets messy but awesome.

So yeah... I prefer complicated decks. IKEA GUN!

Sounds cool.

Currently building my first non-Pre-constructed deck.

Looking like a Simic-Infect Deck.

Simple, effective, and brutal. Kinda like how I play video games. I can't be bothered with swordplay, archery, martial arts etc. I just stroll up to the, and set their faces on fire.... Its here by the way, if you are interested. I feel like there should be more Control to it... Any suggestions?

Lands

10 Forest

2 Simic Guildgate

8 Island      

Creatures

4 Glistener Elf

4 Ichorclaw Myr

2 Rot Wolf

4 Blighted Agent

2 Viridian Corrupter              

Buffs 

2 Titanic Growth

4 Groundswell

4 Mutagenic Growth

4 Vines of Vastwood

2 Simic Charm

Control

2 Cancel

2 Unsummon

2 Negate

2 Apostle's Blessing

Any more experience players have any tips? I have little budget left to rotate out some of the weaker cards for more powerful ones...

Edited by Haradion Drogon

• 1 month later...

Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare yourselves...

Sorceries (12)

Gather the Townsfolk x4

Captain's Call x4

Increasing Devotion x4

Artifacts (4)

Eldrazi Monument x4

Creatures (8)

Soul Warden x4

Soul's Attendant x4

Planeswalkers (3)

Elspeth Tirel x3

Enchantments (8)

Intangible Virtue x4

Honor of the Pure x4

Lands (25)

Plains x25

I could write a dissertation on all the synergy in this deck. If you can survive until turn 5 and manage to play either an Elspeth Tirel or an Eldrazi Monument, it's almost a guaranteed victory. By turn 5 you'll have anywhere between 5 and 50 health, have 1 - 3 Soul Attendants/Wardens out (that's 1 - 3 life every time a creature enters the battlefield under anyone's control), 5+ Human/Soldier tokens out that are likely 2/2 and possibly vigilant. Then an Eldrazi Monument gives all those tokens an additional +1/+1, flying, and indestructible. And they might already be vigilant. It doesn't matter that you have to sacrifice a creature every upkeep for the Monument because you generate more then enough tokens.

This deck has had so much success for me that I've never lost a best of 3 game, and I rarely lose a quick match. I've never had a need for any sort of control or removal, because you gain enough life that you can't be killed before you get a win condition. The only time this deck loses is on 4+ player FFA's, and that's because everyone knows to mutually agree to kill me immediately or I can't be stopped. It got so bad my friends refused to play magic with me until I built a new deck, which turned out to be just as overpowered so I had to make a third. Sorry if this comes across as overly vain, but I am extremely proud of this decks performance.

(The second deck I built is something like 140 cards. It's all enchantments and four Platinum Angels...we call it my Knock - Knock deck, because it's a joke deck but it's not funny. I've won games with no cards in my library and negative 48 health with that deck. Platinum Angel with Indestructible lulzlululz.)

Sounds cool.

Currently building my first non-Pre-constructed deck.

Looking like a Simic-Infect Deck.

Simple, effective, and brutal. Kinda like how I play video games. I can't be bothered with swordplay, archery, martial arts etc. I just stroll up to the, and set their faces on fire.... Its here by the way, if you are interested. I feel like there should be more Control to it... Any suggestions?

Any more experience players have any tips? I have little budget left to rotate out some of the weaker cards for more powerful ones...

Get 4x Gigiantiforms in there. Enchant creaure becomes 8/8 with trample. So it still keeps all other properties, just it's base power/strength. So 8/8 infect trample usually rolls right over anything your opponent has.

My Knight Deck:

4x Mirran Crusader - 2/2 double strike, pro green and black

4x Knight Exemplar - 2/2 all other knights get +1/+1 and Indestructible (get 2 out and they give it to eachother)

4x Student of Warfare - 1/1 levels up to 4/4 DS

4x Accorder Paladin - 3/1 battle cry (other attacking creatures get +1/+0)

4x Skyknight Legionaire - 2/2 flying

4x Hero of Bladehold - 3/4 Battle cry and pumps out 2 attacking 1/1 soldiers when she attacks

4x Day of Judgement  -Destroy all Creatures

4x Brave the Elements - all my creatures get Protection color of choice until end of turn

Then a few disenchants or random power-ups and around 20 plains.

Just basically wheel and deal creatures all buffing eachother up and overpowering my opponent. Wipe the board with DoJ if I need to, and Brave the Elements to sneak past mono-colored decks

Edit:

And to Alaxel: My response to your deck - Unearth Deck with Kedredkt Leviation. When it comes into play all other nonland permanents return to their owners hands. And I can effectively play that card 8+ times a game.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Gamma Fiend: It would really depend on all the other cards in your Unearth deck. That Leviathan has a nice effect, but since it puts permanents back in my hand instead of exiling them it's, at best, a large inconvenience but it wouldn't stop me. I think it was like, 6 - 7 mana to cost, depending on if you Unearthed it or cast it from your hand, so that means I also will have 6 - 7 mana to play with. That's plenty enough for me to drop a few tokens and whatever enchantments I had had out immediately. Then I'd just block the damnation thing and never kill it. Like I said, small inconvenience at best - especially since it's putting all your other permanents in your hand too.

If you want to stop my deck your best bet is to use cards like Sulfuric Vapors (life can't be gained, -2 life every upkeep for all players) then burn me down with direct damage spells.

My deck runs 4x Crpyt of Agadeem. Land that you pay 1Black and tap and get one black mana for each black creature in my graveyard.
It runs R/B/U and just has a bunch of 1 or 2 cost cycling black creatures and discarding half my hand or dumping a bunch of creatures in the graveyard. So by turn 6-7 I'll have at least 7 if not more black creatures in my graveyard, and then I'll get at least 10+ mana to use every turn.
And I wait until I have enough unearth creatures in the graveyard, summon leviathon, bounce everything, then spend buko mana to bring everything back at once and usually kill in one swing.

That is the downfall of this deck, it's really only a "one or two swings" to kill the opponent. But unless they have 30+ life by turn 6 its usually over.
Just depends on the draw. I'll post the actual deck list if youre interested.

• 3 months later...

Well, I know this thread has been dead for a while. But like a zombie creature, I will bring it back from the graveyard to the battlefield.

I got dragged back into Magic pretty hardcore last month or so, so I've been playing with my friends who have the new Theros and Born of the Gods sets.

What are some of your reactions to the set? I really like the R/W Heroic Aggro going on, and the Gods and devotion and stuff, but this Block seems very draft-oriented to me. By that I mean, it seems like these cards will do best in Draft format, against other Theros/BnG decks. I know that that's how WotC has been doing stuff, but I dunno. Other, previous sets, have had amazing standalone cards and can be mixed very well in other decks, like there was better mix-and-matching with the themes.

To me, Theros cards just seem only best suited to play with other Theros cards. Am I the the only one that's feeling this way, kinda?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, because I want to start Drafting more, and try getting in at tournaments at the local card store, so that's not really a problem, really.

I play, but I play the cheapo way where I borrow one of my friends' decks when I play.

(I've only played with people I know personally. If, say, Brandon showed up and asked to play, I'd have to find my friend and ask "so hey can I borrow your black deck to play M:tG against an amazing author?")

The best way of playing for me, Is Commander.

You play with a 100 card deck, with only one copy of each. Its expensive to start, but because its singleton, you never feel like ou are playing the same cards over and over, and updating is usually pretty inexpensive, because you only do it as you can afford it one card at a time.

• 2 months later...

Hmm... A thread that has been necroed, and has died again. Why not necro it again?

I'm fairly new to MTG, since I only started last month. Being the cheap person I am, I've only spent $55 on it, so my decks aren't awesome (another 10 on some awesome Guy Fawkes Mask card covers). I have a black destruction deck, white/blue flying/delay deck, a white/green swarm deck and a very bad red/blue burn deck.

That's not too bad of a start, and for even playing for only a little bit you have a nice diverse deck selection. Even if they aren't "top tier" level decks. Because it's true, Magic is a very expensive hobby, if you try to go all out on it. I know first hand. >.<

And it is kind of lame that with some of the recent sets, any type of competitive play just sees the same few decks over and over again, just slightly tweaked, thus making everyone go for the same "best" cards, just making prices ridiculous.
$30 for any land is just silly.

Long-term player here, so forgive the length of this post :P

I started all the way back in 2006 when my grandmother of all people won me a Core Set 9 duel deck starter set. I played just with my best friend back then, since I was at secondary school and being that nerdy was frowned upon quite seriously. I didn't even know that tournaments were a thing back then, let alone Gatherer. My friend and I bought Dissension/Coldsnap/Time Spiral block, and some of Lorwyn.

I'm a member of the Games Society at university here, so I generally play Magic with some friends twice a week or so. When I started, no-one at Gamesoc played. I only brought my decks in when I found out that my best friend at uni played Magic. Now there are about 20 people at Gamesoc who just play Magic, though they don't all turn up every week. When I started back up again, it was Innistrad rotating in, though I bought none of the set myself until Avacyn Restored, which I quite liked.

For the most part, I only play casual Magic, at a slightly higher level than kitchen tabletop but not Modern or anything like that. Sometimes I play Commander, though generally speaking I dislike playing it due to how the serious people play it. I sometimes do prereleases, though not very often. I generally don't buy boosters, prefering to get individual cards and trades, though sadly my old and really good trades have been... traded away.

Playstyle-wise, I'm a pretty solid Johnny. My decks are quirky, slow and rarely work, but that's fine because mostly I play multiplayer. I'm known for making decks with really weird strategies and synergies, and for accidentally playing horrible combos without realising just how strong they are.

I have a large number of decks, since I've played so long. Plus I like to reward myself after exams, etc, since I don't go out much, which leads to a new deck or two every year. My oldest and dearest decks are from the old Ravnica/Dissension set: Orzhov (BW) lifegain/bleed, Simic (UG) +1/+1 counters, and Rakdos (BR) discard/burn. My next oldest is my five-colour Slivers from Time Spiral, followed by my Monored Elemental deck, which can do silly things but (as I learnt today) does very little in multiplayer.

I also have a load of other, newer decks which are less consistent, and somewhat silly, such as my five-colour Angel deck from Avacyn Restored with only Plains and colourless land mana sources (artifact mana sources!). Recently I've been enjoying playing my GB graveyard-based deck, because it's rather liberating not caring if your things die, and in multiplayer that happens a lot. :P

While I don't play Commander much, I do have two decks that I sometimes use: A BRG token/ramp deck which somewhat revolves around creatures dying, with Kresh the Bloodbraided as its general, and a UBW enchantment deck with Zur the Enchanter as its general. The latter usually gets groans, because people are used to horrible Zur lockdown decks, though mine's not that bad.

As an aside, I believe Sanderson plays MtG, right? Anyone know what he plays? I've been wondering for ages.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I have a pretty gnarly Eldrazi deck that I barely play because...it's just so boring. I always win.

Essentially I use the Urza lands, combined with Expedition Map, to get Urza Mine, Urza Tower, and Urza Power Plant by turn three more often than not. I definitely have it by turn four. Together, those three lands tap for (7) colorless.

Usually by turn four I have all three Urza Lands and an Eldrazi Temple, which lets me play (9)CMC creatures, like Hand of Emrakul.

Play All is Dust to clear the board except for colorless and I pretty much win. If you can somehow hang on til round 7, you're reward with a rare appearance of Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. And then you lose.