Speculation: All Stormlight Archive books will have a corresponding book in-world

SOM1else

I was thinking earlier today about the future of the Stormlight Archive and thought that it would be really cool if all of the titles of the books have an in world book with the same title. An Archive is essentially a collection of records so it would be cool if all of the book titles were also titles of books on Roshar like how The Way of Kings is the title of the first book and also the name of the book that Dalinar studies in world. The original title of book 2 was The Book of Endless Pages which was refering to a book given to Shallan by Jasnah Kohlin. If this theory is correct Words of Radiance will make an appearance in book 2 as an in world record.

My understanding was that the plan had been dropped. I don't feel Highprince of War would be an in-world book, and it seemed like that would have been the title of Book 2 if the focus hadn't been changed to Shallan. Further, Stones Unhallowed, the working title for Book 3, also does not sound like a book to me. On a side note, Stones Unhallowed is my favorite supposed title for a SA book yet. I really hope Brandon sticks with it!

Edited by GreyPilgrim

Even if he has abandoned plans to go with an inworld book per novel, I don't have a problem with either Words of Radiance or Stones Unhallowed being a book title.

Kings was essentially an instruction book for a ruler.

Words could very well have been a book used by the Radiants for instruction.

Stones sounds like something that Szeth would have read or written as a response to finding rocks holy.

Highprince of War sounds like an inworld parallel to The Art of War.  

We don't really know yet, but as this is all speculation, we can't really discount much unless we get word of Brandon or Peter.

My theory is that the "Words of Radiance" are going to be "the most important words a man can speak" and that they an oath that needs to be made to become a member of the Knights Radient. The Shard powering the magic of the KR is named Honor so what better way to access his power through the making of oaths. The in world document of the Words is going to be a collection of the oaths that need to be made and is going to be found in book 2

I'm actually a bit curious about the names of each "Parts" in the book they make a direct reference to the Ketek: “Above silence, the illuminating storms—dying storms— illuminate the silence above." I wonder if Words of Radiance will continue this as well.

I've always assumed that Brandon would follow the ketek pattern for naming the parts. He is a huge fan of patterns and structure in his works, so I feel that he will stick to that. He did a similar thing with the Mistborn part names, with the first of every book relating to the Survivor.

Despite the pattern, I kind of hope Brandon doesn't limit himself to names of in-world books for the Stormlight titles. I generally don't like when book titles relate directly to an object in the story; I believe that the title of a novel should be extremely thematically important, related to the work as a whole. When the title is strictly an element in the story, it often doesn't have that extreme thematic significance that I prefer. I would rather read a book with a fitting title than a cool title. Luckily, The Way of Kings worked: the book was important to the plot for Dalinar, but also very important for his character and the themes his arc developed. Those themes also extend to Kaladin's character and arc, not so much to Shallan, but overall it worked, and sounds beautiful. I don't know about Words of Radiance yet. I adore this title: it sounds wonderful, and it could easily become a great thematic element. I detested The Book of Endless Pages as a title, but the book will have great thematic significance. For now, I am glad for the change. As I said before, I love Stones Unhallowed, so if it is not a book, I hope Brandon breaks the pattern for it. I am glad Highprince of War will never be a title, even if it is thematically crucial. It is too bland for me.

I have pretty high standards. :P

• Chaos locked this topic