Items made From a Splintered Shard

stcapps17

Hi there,

This is my first post so it might have already been covered, if so thats my bad. It covers a few of the books so feel free to correct me if it is contradicted somewhere or if you have things to add.

I was thinking about how Odium splintered the shard of Honor. I think that the honorblades that the Heralds wielded are actually the remnants of what is left of the shard of honor. This is why they can grant magically abilities to someone who previously could not access magic on Roshar. Also I wonder if they were all collected if they could reforge the Shard of Honor.

If this is true then it would mean that the shards of Devotion and Dominion would have items that were made from their remnants. Brandon has said that the Aons inside of the Seons are splinters of Devotion so what are the splinters of Dominion? Also what would happen if a splinter of Devotion, a Seon, and a splinter of Honor, an honorblade, were combined like when Sazed combined the shards of Ruin and Preservation in the Mistborn series? 

Unfortunately the honorblades existed long before Honor was Splintered by Odium.  They were given to the Heralds by Honor, and he was still alive when they were abandoned by the Heralds during the Last Desolation.  That said it is probable that they are Splinters of Honor (as Shards are capable of Splintering off portions of their power with actually being Splintered, this is what happens with Endowment and the divine Breath of the Returned).  Honorspren, like Syl, and some of the other spren types that bond with the Knights Radiant are also Splinters of Honor.

For Splinters of Dominion, there are the skaze (which are mentioned once in Elantris, but Brandon has described them as "evil seons".)  It is also important to note that the bulk of Devotion and Dominion's remains make up the Dor and doesn't seem to be collected in discrete "Splinter-packets".

As for combining a seon and an honorblade... Investiture interferes with other Investiture.  It might be theoretically possible, but incredibly difficult to do.  Part of the reason Sazed was able to do what he did was because there was so much power involved.  Brandon has described this using the metaphor that "nuclear fusion is hard, unless you are in the middle of a star".  At that point, Sazed was in the middle of a star.

The Honorblades likely are Splinters of Honor, but they existed before he was destroyed. He gave them to the Heralds and in the visions he tells Dalinar that most of the visions are things he had seen directly. He also says the Radiants came about by the spren attempting to reproduce what had been done with the Honorblades. Since Dalinar saw Radiants in most of the visions it can be inferred that Honor was still alive long after the Heralds held the Honorblades. In fact, he was still alive after the Oathpact was broken as he witnessed the Recreance, which came after the Heralds had already abandoned the Honorblades.

Splinters are generally created by the Shard itself. I think it's unclear at this point whether Splinters are created when a Shard is shattered but it seems possible.

The Honorblades themselves definitely wouldn't be enough to reforge Honor. It would probably be impossible to reforge it by any means, but even if it could be done the Honorblades are a very tiny fraction of the entire Shard.

• Chaos locked this topic