Will shards be used during the war?

I think it will depend on the book. Obviously Kaladin and Shallan know, and probably Renarin as well, considering how he reacted during the four-on-one duel, but as for the other Radiants, I'm not sure. I think as more people learn what happened to the spren, there will be more ethical debates about whether or not the Alethi should continue to use Shards. However, considering the way the Alethi lighteyes behave, I imagine getting them to give up their Shards, even knowing that they are essentially spren corpses, would be incredibly difficult.

I'm not sure this point will even come up.  Right now, the readers know, along with a select few proto-Radiants, but I don't believe that this knowledge will be made public.  And both Kaladin and Shallan have living shardblades, not dead, and Renarin is probably on his way to having one as well.

I was sad that Dalinar unbound the shardblade when he talks to the Stormfather.  I think it would have been better if he had just kept it and never used it, instead of just leaving it on the roof.

Undoubtedly he sent someone to collect it. Surely he didn't just leave it there for anyone to pick up. He broke the bond because the Stormfather told him to, though.

The Alethi culture has few problems with using slaves as cannon fodder; why on earth would you think they would have a problem with using the corpse of someone they never met that gives them untold power in battle?

Some will have a problem, but they will be the significant minority.

Well in Humpty's humble opinion they will give them up.  First and foremost IF it becomes public  knowledge they are dead spren and having one and summoning it basicly totures the spren. They wont do it out of noble or honoralbe reasons they will do it for greedy purposes. After all Mr. Sanderson himself said, "to be human is to want that which we cannot have" After observing the new radiants with the Varsity blades I am sure the normal shardbearers will want one. And the only possiblity of getting one is to not be bound to a old blade they will give them up. After all their way of thinking is what spren wouldn't want to bond with a lighteyes considering they bonded with a foreigner and a dark-eyed slave.

I agree with kaellook, I don't think it would make any difference to the non-radiant people, as to most of them are happy to use fabrials with living spren trapped inside anyway, so why would dead sprens make a difference, and even if they felt bad about using them I'm sure it would pass, when it means life or death for everyone they know and themselves.

The only ones I'm unsure about are the squires as they are somewhere in the middle, as we don't know if they can hear the screams or if it would effect there power in someway.

• Chaos locked this topic