Long Game 14: To Shatter a Shard

Question about the Thug.

You start with One vial of Pewter. If you are attacked, you will start consuming one vial of pewter per cycle. Once you run out of pewter, you will die.

This makes it sound like one attack will cause a consistent consuming of pewter each cycle. So if you only have one vial, you'll die on the next cycle, since you run of pewter. Is that the way it is? Normally the thug role is an additional life, so I'm just confirming that this is indeed a prolonged death rather than an extra life.

I will say that if it is a prolonged death, it seems significantly weaker than some of the other minor roles. For example, the Lifeless fully protects from one kill, the Awakener is a weak seeker, the Bloodsealer is a kill + role block, etc.

It's the same as a role that was in this game previously, which I forget the name of. What was that? Ah yes, Voidbringer. This just has the potential to make the role more powerful by adding the ability to store up life.

The thug role was the Voidbringer role from the last Shardic game, renamed so that Scadrial would have a role. And last game it proved very useful for both teams to spread truth and lies. This game, with the potential for Devotion to extend the thugs life span, it is even more so.

Also, I'm not sure when that got removed, (thanks for bringing it to my attention) but the thug role is supposed to come with the ability to make pm's after being attacked, to further pass on information securely.

But yes, it is weaker than the others.

Edited by The Only Joe

Hmm.  Seeing as Wilson is in this game I feel compelled to warn everyone that she would love nothing more than to do this.

Taken completely out of context from an ongoing PM we have.:P

Quick question: Why does everyone seems to be, uuuh I don't know, wary? Of Wilson. I even saw some signatures and banners warning everyone about her. O.o

Quick question: Why does everyone seems to be, uuuh I don't know, wary? Of Wilson. I even saw some signatures and banners warning everyone about her. O.o

As the owner of one of said banners, I figure I'm probably qualified to answer this. She's a very good player, especially when she's evil. She also very much dislikes all the attention this has garnered and feels that it is undeserved, and somewhat unfair, as she rarely survives a game anymore. (This is true to a degree; we like overstating how good she is because we know it annoys her, and on occasion this has probably lead to her dying more often than she should. :P)

While she is a very strong player, the society is largely a joke, calculated to gain some amusement from her reactions to it. :P (And so far, it has worked wonderfully.)

Anyways, if you've got a Spec doc going Joe, would you mind PMing it to me?

*sigh* Well, see, that's an interesting story. Gather 'round and let me tell you it.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who had never played an internet forum elimination game. Then one fine day, a Thoughtful Man came along and introduced this brilliant game and she readily jumped into it. In the course of this game, she got manipulated very thoroughly by an eliminator, and her team lost. It was a sad day and she felt very foolish for ever having trusted this person. She swore vengeance and was granted the opportunity in the very next game. She shot her manipulator full of coins, killing him brutally. And thus, her kill list was borne.

In her very next game, she was once again an eliminator, and this time, she survived right to the very end of the game, by skillfully manipulating the person directing everyone. He'd murdered her comrades and left her all alone for nights on end, so she let him kill a number of innocents, taking the survivors from double digits to single digits before she was finally discovered and killed. :(

Fast forward about 8 month and her reputation had grown considerably, with a number of people recognizing her subtle manipulative skills and "mastermind" planning. As it had been a year that these games had been going on, the Thoughtful Man decided, "Hey! How about we run an Anniversary Game!" And thus, the first game ever was replayed. Our valiant, innocent champion immediately signed up for it, for how could she not? This was a chance to redeem herself for how horribly she'd been deceived in the first iteration of this game. Alas, these noble efforts were stolen from her when once again she was manipulated by an eliminator quite thoroughly. It was humiliating. And to add insult to injury, the eliminator was the teammate of her first foe. How dare he? She entered the dead doc for that game depressed, but after the injuries wore off, she swore vengeance once again. She would do fell deeds to this new foe and make him regret his decision. Many people saw her oaths and nicknamed her "The Bloodthirsty Goddess." Now, our hero is an easily amused person, and she found this nickname highly entertaining, despite it being entirely inaccurate. Yes, she'd vowed to spill her foe's blood, and indeed, he'd found a place on her kill list in a bad way (well, anyone on the kill list has found it in a bad way, but him in particular), but it was all a joke, and her value of strategy would never allow her to place a revenge kill above a true threat.

Fortunately, most of the people who called our hero the Bloodthirsty Goddess were familiar enough with her to know that it was lie. That she wasn't truly bloodthirsty, even if she seemed that way. She knew this, and allowed the name to continue, since, really, she still found it highly amusing.

But then a strange thing happened. She started noticing comments about her untrustworthiness, and this concerned her greatly, for her loyalty was a matter of pride. How dare people say that she wouldn't be able to stay true to an alliance even if she tried? She was very loyal when she had allies to swear to and she would never break an allegiance. Furthermore, somehow, people were convinced that she could manipulate others through mind control, or so it seemed by their insistence that she was manipulating when all she was doing was being brutally honest with people who were ignoring her.

This conglomeration of statements made her realize that her reputation had grown out of control. Her amusement at being called the Bloodthirsty Goddess had made those who don't interact with her regularly believe that she was as bloodthirsty, heartless, and betraying as people said.

Disheartened, she swore to go on an indefinite hiatus from the games, because she disliked the comments being said about her. Unfortunately, some (*cough*one*cough*) of those people who communicate with her regularly decided that such a hiatus was inexcusable, and they proceeded to manipulate her indignation in such a way as to force her to join the games once again. Despite this appalling behavior, it actually worked and she started playing, only taking a break for about a month. This wasn't nearly the time needed to let the reputation die down to manageable levels, but she wasn't too terribly worried about it, because she swore to herself that the next person to make a public remark defiling her true character, she would oppose them.

She did do this, but it remains unclear as to if anyone truly believed her or not.

She hired a PR agent to help her fix her image, but he proved fickle and never really suggested anything that would truly help her fix her image, though she discarded her amusing nickname, even though, deep down, it was still entertaining to her. Then, a new character entered the scene! This new character bestowed upon her a most fabulous nickname, the Brightness Ascendant. Finally, she had a name that was right and good. Our hero was happy. She fired her PR agent and hired this new, brilliant person.

He created a banner, proclaiming her greatness, and she was pleased. Unfortunately, where there is greatness, there must be evil, and thus her antagonists were borne. Taking it upon themselves to declare her bloodthirsty nature, her former PR agent and someone she thought was a friend created new banners. "Never Forget: The Bloodthirsty Goddess" was their motto, and it was downright appalling to our hero. For such people to turn on her like this--why, it was inexcusable! Yet they insisted that they were simply spreading awareness to new blood.

And thus, our valiant hero--our noble champion--was betrayed by the true bloodthirsty and disloyal people. The indignities she has had to suffer at their hands are far and wide and entirely undeserved. It's not her fault she has a sense of humor that lends itself to finding morbid things funny. Just because she laughs doesn't mean she'd do anything. It's not her fault she's honest and therefore doesn't hide that she has a kill list--even if she's only crossed 2 people off the kill list in the last year and half and there being over 25 names on it. Yet these facts mean nothing to her persecutors. But such is what all martyrs must deal with, and if they want to make a martyr out of her, so be it. A martyr she will be. But they will always be fiends and blights upon humanity.

So, dear children, beware of Maill and Aonar for they are the true Bloodthirsty Ones. They seek only to bring misery and death to those who don't deserve it. They speak only in lies and half-truths. Steer clear of them, or you might fall next.

Anyways, if you've got a Spec doc going Joe, would you mind PMing it to me?

There is indeed a Spec doc for anyone who can't play.

It's not her fault she's honest and therefore doesn't hide that she has a kill list--even if she's only crossed 2 people off the kill list in the last year and half and there being over 25 names on it. 

Didn't I get taken off the Kill list for defending you in the last Faction Game?

Edited by The Only Joe

Didn't I get taken off the Kill list for defending you in the last Faction Game?

You did, yes. You were replaced by Clanky, though, so I can't say that you were "crossed off". You were quite literally removed. I simply couldn't kill you after you'd said such nice things about me. It touched my heart, particularly in the face of Orlok's lies and besmirching.

You did, yes. You were replaced by Clanky, though, so I can't say that you were "crossed off". You were quite literally removed. I simply couldn't kill you after you'd said such nice things about me. It touched my heart, particularly in the face of Orlok's lies and besmirching.

Me!? How did I end up on the kill list? Maybe I shouldn't play in this game.

Me!? How did I end up on the kill list? Maybe I shouldn't play in this game.

Well, you see, Emerald may have killed me, but I was protecting myself, since I predicted that someone would try to kill me. So really, the Bloodsealer who roleblocked me is to blame for my death. However, Joe was that Bloodsealer. But you're the one who told him to ward me. Therefore, it's you're fault. But don't worry; you're not alone. Orlok is also on the list, since it was his arguments that persuaded Emerald to kill me. :)

So that's 3 people for one death? That is harsh.

Well, my kill list has multiple ways to get on it. Revenge is killing me, having a direct hand in my death (telling the person to kill me), or manipulating me and then me dying before I can retaliate for the manipulation in-game (which is what happened with both Beetle and Claincy, since neither of them killed me). But there's also two other categories: Pissed Off and Annoyed. Pissed Off is when someone gets me legitimately peeved about something--that's normally from a combination of something they say and do, but occasionally just saying something, if it bugs me enough, will warrant a spot for that purpose. Not many people have gotten onto the list in this category, though some have.

Annoyed is a lesser version of Pissed Off. I'm not angry, but I'm a little irritated. This can be due to something said or something done, but it's never both, and it's not normally enough for me to even think about prioritizing a kill for. Examples of this are when Gamma, Maill, and Aonar opened up numerous group PMs in MR5 all in an attempt to troll me. In that same game, Winter opened up PMs with me and almost every single person playing. There was a fair amount of ire when my phone kept buzzing every 20 seconds notifying me of a new PM, while I'm sitting in church trying, and failing, to pay attention. :P

So Emerald and Clanky are on there for Revenge, since both of them played a direct role in my death. Clanky for directing Joe's roleblock and Emerald for killing me. Orlok is on there for Annoying me, since his comments about me were rather frustrating falsehoods, but he was utterly convinced that they were true despite Joe telling him otherwise and defending me (even though Joe wasn't even on my team).

Odds are, I won't be reducing my kill list unless, as Joe suggests, I become the Serial Killer, where I'm on a team all by myself and I can just go crazy. Otherwise, strategy enters into it and I have to protect my team to the best of my abilities.

Wooowkay... *backs away reaaaaaally slowly*

Oh and um, Joe? In the rule clarifications you said that "Planets only determine what minor role Endowment gives you." Shouldn't that be Devotion?

Also, when Endowment invest a Shard to a worldhopper, is that the same as him giving the shard to the player or is that different?

Oh and Shards have to invest to someone before they can use their Shardic Power. Do they have to keep on investing everytime they want to use their Shardic Power or will just once the entire game be enough?

PS. RuinxOdium? I need a brain bleach.

Edited by nicocoberru

There's also the possible scenario where you find yourself with a village kill role, and are presented with sufficient evidence of Eliminatoriness that strategy and your kill list line up.

Or, you know, just get given an Eliminator role.

Also, just out of curiosity, have I ever ended up on that kill list?

In the rule clarifications you said that "Planets only determine what minor role Endowment gives you." Shouldn't that be Devotion?

Yes, I'll fix that.

Also, when Endowment invest a Shard to a worldhopper, is that the same as him giving the shard to the player or is that different?

The player invested will permanently have that Shard's Investiture ability. 

Oh and Shards have to invest to someone before they can use their Shardic Power. Do they have to keep on investing everytime they want to use their Shardic Power or will just once the entire game be enough?

Everytime you send in order to use your shardic power, you also send in orders to invest someone. 

PS. RuinxOdium? I need a brain bleach.

:D I also ship ShallanxLightsong and HoidxChasmfiend. Ruin and Odium might be on the same team.

Edited by The Only Joe

The player invested will permanently have that Shard's Investiture ability.

And the Shardic Ability?

:D I also ship ShallanxLightsong and HoidxChasmfiend.

Uuuuh. Yeah. Um. Oooookay. Each to his own??? Shallan and Lightsong is gonna give everyone headache. Can you imagine all the verbal sparing? As for Hoid and Chasmfield? I am gonna pretend I never saw that. -shudders- Edited by nicocoberru

Wooowkay... *backs away reaaaaaally slowly*

And this is why I sometimes regret my honesty. Because it does things like this. See, now you're scared of me, when that wasn't supposed to make you scared. That was simply me explaining how someone finds a place onto my list, but even if you find your way onto my list, the odds of me exacting vengeance on you is incredibly slim. I wasn't kidding when I said I've only crossed two people off my list. Both of those were in LG2, and there are over 25 names, some with duplicate (and triplicate) entries. So have no fear. :P

There's also the possible scenario where you find yourself with a village kill role, and are presented with sufficient evidence of Eliminatoriness that strategy and your kill list line up.

Or, you know, just get given an Eliminator role.

Also, just out of curiosity, have I ever ended up on that kill list?

The first scenario is unlikely to happen since I don't survive long enough in games when I'm a villager. I'm usually one of the first kills now, and if I had a kill role, I wouldn't be like LG3 Meta the Coinshot, who killed more villagers than the eliminators did. I'd use my role very judiciously--or at least, I would try to. But again, I don't think I'd live long enough to even be able to kill anyone I legitimately suspect.

The second scenario is heavily contingent on strategy. While I could kill someone on the kill list, that person might not be the most strategic kill, and therefore, it's less preferable. I can't sacrifice strategy for my own petty purposes. That would be betraying my team, which is something I refuse to do.

Yes, you have. I thought you knew that. LG12. You, Meta, and Twei all ended up on the kill list for that game.

Because I have to ask: I have in no way appeared on your kill list, correct? I'd like to stay relatively unnoticeable, without that kind of PR. :P

IrulelikeSTINK, I almost can't believe that you actually put that in your sig. But then, maybe I can. So embarrassing.