Manga

Left

While anime and manga are often just different formats for the same stories, I thought it would be nice to have a thread for manga just as we do for anime. I actually started reading manga first, which got me into anime and gave me a better idea of the kinds of shows I wanted to watch.

I can't stand reading manga online, my iPods screen is too small for the apps to work well with, and I'm not interested in taking out a magazine subscription or buying tankoban, so all I've read has come from the tankoban at my library. My starter series was D.Gray-Man, and I devoured the first twenty volumes, and then suffered when I realized that there were three not available at the library, and past those the mangaka was having health issues and hadn't finished any more.

Some of my other favorites are:

Death Note( I hate the anime, but the manga was Really good)

Kekkaishi (Haven't finished it, but probably my favorite manga series)

Dengeki Daisy

Princess Ressurection( Couldn't finish because the publisher stopped releasing them)

Hoshin Engi, or Soul Hunter

High School Rumble

What and how do you read manga? Are you stuck like me with unfinished Tankoban series at your library?....

I don't have much to add to this (sorry) but HOW AND WHAT DID YOU NOT LIKE THE DEATH NOTE ANIME?!?!?!

I felt that it was incredibly over dramatized. In a way similar to how action movies where the action and car chases end get very boring and "ugghh" inspiring, the Deathnote adaption felt like it was trying to always have me at the edge of my seat and it resulted in the same effect for me. It felt like the tone and tension levels rarely changed, and the way they portrayed Ryuk didn't help as I see him in the manga as being far less....demonically overbearing....and more like a mischievous demi-god with happy-go-lucky traits.

Oooh. Dengeki Daisy. That one's already completed right?? I have to reread it again. Please tell me they got together.

I generally read online. Yeah, I know, pirating and all, but mangas(?) in our country cost an arm, a leg and your firstborn son, and I'm just a poor college student. I swear one day I'll buy it all. Cross my heart.

To join the DN discussion, I never actually finished DN. I got bored of it after L died (is that even a spoiler?).

I'm currently addicted to Tokyo Ghoul right now. Read it if you haven't. Its tragedy and the foreshadowing and symbolisms are amazing. I swear, most of the fandom just scrounge the manga looking for hidden flower symbolism and tarot numbers. Also, Shingeki no Kyojin, Assasination Classroom, Boku no Hero Academia, Shokugeki no Soma, and Owari no Seraph. The last ones a storm of cliche but hey, its fun for me so why not?

Also, THE Peter used to work for Tokyopop?? Nice.

Edited by nicocoberru

Oooh. Dengeki Daisy. That one's already completed right?? I have to reread it again. Please tell me they got together.

I never got to finish that one actually <_<:(  My library only had the first 10~ volumes.....

I really enjoyed them, although the age gap.......... :mellow: I guess I just tried to not think about that. It was what, 6 years?

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to reading FullMetal Alchemist. It's real nice. Currently in Chapter 33 and one of the characters I liked has already died. *sighs* Such is life. I LOVE Lt. Hawkeye (what is Clint doing here???) That woman is such a badass. I also can't believe that The president is a badguy. And he was such a badass, I liked him too. Too bad. I also liked Greed and his team for reasons unknown to me.

I never got to finish that one actually <_<:(  My library only had the first 10~ volumes.....

I really enjoyed them, although the age gap.......... :mellow: I guess I just tried to not think about that. It was what, 6 years?

I've seen worst pairings. Believe me, that age gap is already mild compared to the others *shudders*

Edited by nicocoberru

I read mangas only from time to time, and I'm afraid I've became too exigent because I can't get into most popular series. The cool factor hardly makes up for the usual shonen/shoujo characters now. :|

Death Note is one of my favourites—I loved how the story was told—, and I probably will like FMA when I get around reading it too, since I liked both anime versions. It has fun magic system and world building, I bet Sanderson fans will enjoy it. Art samples below:

Death Note

DeathNote_01_001_10.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist

My-favorite-EdWin-FMA-manga-moments-full

I'm currently reading Vinland Saga. The story has the pacing of a book, what might drive away some action-thirsty fans once they hit later chapters. On the other hand, the lack of the "villain of the week with power lvl X" is precisely what I enjoyed. And the artwork is gorgeous, particularly the settings.

p006.jpg?v=1437822723

Yes, since it became monthly! Before the ~volume 3 it was weekly, and even then the art wasn't bad. Like most mangas it has been improving through time, the difference is that it started decent already. Oh, I ought to warn Vinland Saga full of violence and has some blood in it. It's based on a Norse Saga, so...

Hmm, I'm not particularly picky about the art—though I love to read something with good art. I did a quick research on Angel Densetsu, and the problem is I am a little picky about the setting, hahah. I've got to have a really good reason to read about yet another group of schoolchildren. D:

I realized I'm actually reading another manga, although it's different, because it's a webcomic. Carciphona. Also pretty art (there was a steep change from first pages to last ones), and I greatly admire the effort the artist puts into her work. Not sure if the story agrees with people here. Of late, I can't see where it's heading.

Speaking of where stories go, I think the last manga I've read before sticking with Vinland was Claymore. Geez. The premise was good enough, the setting sparked my curiosity. But the story derailed, and had horrible pacing.