SpoCon report

Shardlet

Okay, so here is the first part of the report.  Chaos, theofficetroll and I all recorded the readings that Brandon did.  He read, part of the prologue of WoR, an expanded version of Shadows of Self, a portion of Legion 2, and a bit of the Psychic Bird story that they brainstormed on Writing excuses.  I don't have my home machine with me so I will be uploading my recording early next week.  I also will be doing a posting later a verbatim version of these questions and answers.  But, for now I will give you the gist and the meat.

Q: In hemalurgy, does the person doing the spiking need to have Scadrian investiture?

A: No.

Q: So, anyone with the knowledge could spike someone?

A: Yes.

Q: You said previously that a slider's bubble is anchored to its position on Scadrial rather than on the slider's position or on the train (if the burner was on a train).  If the slider was on a rock in space, would the bubble be anchored to a position relative to Scadrial, the rock or something else?

A: RAFO

Q: A slider and a pulser are standing near each other and each put up a bubble.  Neither is standing close enough to the other to be within the other's bubble, but they are near enough that their bubbles would overlap what effect would you have?

A: The bubbles would overlap and it would be like a Venn diagram (i.e., outside both bubbles-normal time, in sliders bubble-fast time, in pulser's bubble-slow time, in the overlap-normal time).  

Q: If a time bubble is raied in a vacuum, is the diameter larger than a bubble raised in atmosphere.

A: No, atmosphere has no effect on bubble diameter.

Q: If a Scadrian allomancer had a baby with a Nalthian (and the baby was born on Nalthis), could the baby have an original Breath and also be a Natural allomancer?

A:  It could happen, the baby would have a bit of Preservation and a bit of Endowment.

So, there are the questions I asked.  I hope you enjoy them.  Especially you Kurkistan.  I asked three bubble questions for you. :D 

Like I said, verbatim answers and questions to come later as well as my recording. 

Q: In hemalurgy, does the person doing the spiking need to have Scadrian investiture?

A: No.

Q: So, anyone with the knowledge could spike someone?

A: Yes.

Ah, so your understanding of Hemalurgy was the correct one, not mine. Congrats, Shardlet! :)

Edited by skaa

Thank you again for asking bubble questions, Shardlet. I think you just single-handedly doubled our supply of quotes on the matter ;)

So, to recap:

Several of my FTL-models are hurt by the vacuum thing. Less personally affronted, though, this means that bubbles are almost certainly a straight effect on local space-time, rather than an effect on local objects that happens to be roughly spherical in shape.

-Darn, should have asked you to ask about Distension...

Overlap is nice to have settled, though his specific phrasing (if you got it right) leaves it open the overlap flat-out cancels, rather than partial cancelling for strong/weak interactions (so half speed instead of 1/20 if the Cadmium bubble is stronger, or the like).

Yeah, Hemalurgy. Can't say I'm shocked, but that does spike (har) my theory about Hemalurgy. That's odd, as the other options for how Hemalurgy is unique to Scadrians are a bit less appealing. This requires thought and topics...

Overlap is nice to have settled, though his specific phrasing (if you got it right) leaves it open the overlap flat-out cancels, rather than partial cancelling for strong/weak interactions (so half speed instead of 1/20 if the Cadmium bubble is stronger, or the like).

Yeah, it sounded to me like there was no higher or lower compression/extension factor based upon the strength of the allomancer.  

Oooh, proof that Breath is a 'bit' of Endowment in the same way Metallic Arts are of Scadrians. Thanks shardlet, I don't know if we already had that :D

I would be cautious about pouncing upon that bit.  I was recalling off-hand without reviewing my recording.  I'm pretty sure that that is what he said (at least in essence), but not 100%.

Not so, good friend (Ffnord).  If I am understanding you correctly, you mean a bubble within another bubble.  If it is cadmium inside bendalloy or vice versa, then the answer is a bubble of normal time passage (i.e., fast time + slow time = normal time).  I asked Brandon especially about this situation in terms of Marasi's statement of the effects cancelling each other out.  I wanted to clarify if the bubbles anihilated each other or if the bubbles remained, but the compound effect was normal time.  If it is cadmium within cadmium or bendalloy within bendalloy then the effect is compounded as per http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=689#2'>this signing quote:

QUESTION
So what happens if you have a Bendalloy bubble, and then another Bendalloy bubble inside of it?

BRANDON SANDERSON
It will compound and double, and it will multiply. Bendalloy is one of the metals from Alloy of Law if you haven’t read it, as this person obviously has, or has read the Ars Arcanum, you’ll find out what it does.

Edit: indicated I was responding to lord_Ffnord.

Edited by Shardlet

Hm. It just seems odd, though, given the MAG's insistence that the net "bubblage" is the outcome.

I think the fact that bubbles can be adjusted, in and of themselves, to higher or lower compression factors by the misting is indisputable, at the very least. But, from your question we get that even if Wayne is flaring and Marasi is burning as little as possible, the intersection will necessarily be real-time.

It still doesn't ring true, but the god of the Cosmere has spoken, so I'll have to adapt to it.  ;)

Edited by Kurkistan

Not necessarily.  He could have simply been referring to a normal burn from each.  His statement does not need to be interpreted as exhaustive.  Flaring is, after all, a tougher condition to quantify the effects since it appears that flaring is something that can be improved upon through practice.  

In the reading yesterday, he also reiterated that the MAG is not necessarily cannon since he gave them license to make adjustments for the purpose of gameplay. Note, this is about 5 hours after I asked him the question, so this comment at the reading should not be interpreted as being connected to the bubble in a bubble clarification.   

Ah, so your "my friend" was directed at Ffnord and bubbles being wholly contained in one another, not at my post. That makes more sense.

Thank you again for all the clarification. :)

Edited by Kurkistan

I got the interaction between bubble overlap/standard bubble in a bubble. I was referring more to one bubble extending out past the other as we were discussing in Kurk's thread (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3925-time-bubble-interaction-and-subjective-burn-rates/) I don't see the subjective burn rates resulting in varying bubble size as being answered by those questions.

You're right: they aren't. I was over-cautious in the formulation of my questions when Shardlet asked for them, asking "basic science" questions for future theorizing rather than a relatively niche question for the sake of a single theory. I also thought a subjective burn rate question would be unnecessarily involved.

Still, I probably should have bitten the bullet (or, more accurately made Shardlet bite the bullet) and piled on a subjective burn rate question. :(

You're right: they aren't. I was over-cautious in the formulation of my questions when Shardlet asked for them, asking "basic science" questions for future theorizing rather than a relatively niche question for the sake of a single theory. I also thought a subjective burn rate question would be unnecessarily involved.

Still, I probably should have bitten the bullet (or, more accurately made Shardlet bite the bullet) and piled on a subjective burn rate question. :(

At your expense, I'm happier to get Mr. Sanderson to answer as many of these broad strokes questions as possible.  This was a good series of simple questions that didn't reek too heavily of very specific implications (weighted questions where any given answer could be a linchpin to proving several things he doesn't want to slip), and so we got a lot of straight facts and not a single only one RAFO. 

Well done.  

I think it's time for us to resurrect some Hemalurgy threads.

Alright.  Here is the first portion of the nights readings.  This is from the prologue of Words of Radiance which is Jasnah's POV of the night of Gavilar's assassination.

I apologize for the quality.  I am only able to use Audacity in the most basic manner.  But, everything should be reasonably clear. 

Edit 1: And here is the reading from Shadows of Self.  This reading is an expanded version of the same scene we already have.

Edit 2: And here is the reading from Legion 2 which is a dinner date scene.

Edit 3: and finally, here is the final reading of the night.  this is an excerpt from Psychic Birds which is a story written by Brandon based on a brainstorming session on Writing Excuses.

Again, I apologize for the roughness.  I will transcribe the Q&As rather than provide a recording.  So those will be forthcoming in the next few days.  Thanks for your patience.

Edited by Shardlet

Thank you!

Poor Brandon having to shout out everything. They didn't have a mic set up?

I don't think Brandon really had to "shout" anything. and he was quite clearly heard even in the back of the room from what I could tell (at different points I was in the back and the front).  And, no, I don't believe we set a mic up.  The room was not huge, and as a professor, Brandon knows how to project :-) 

It was actually rather excellent. Brandon can project his voice well, so no one had any trouble hearing him. The only downside was that Eric and Shardlet abandoned me for the front row, and I got to sit next to some bratty kids. :P

Hey, you sat down first.  :P  I was standing there in the back with a recorder in my hand and there was a seat in the front row.  What the heck was I supposed to do? :)  

Edited by Shardlet

I've started transcribing the Shadows of Self reading.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5vm8JlnoKLxsdJBB4z9GRSGu8Ku8wkWrR_7R4HUh_g/edit?usp=sharing

I will probably skip around from recording to recording over the course of the day, so expect more google Doc links...