If you had Breath...

Emeralis00

1. get 2000 dead squirells

2. put them in boxes

3. awaken each one as a lifeless

4. tell them to run around screaming and destroy furniture

5. release them at strategic times and locations

Brilliant! Just plain brilliance! I'd use some of them to get back at my ex, though.

Fifth Heightening means immortality. Or well, no aging, no sickness. This seems wonderful and I think I would be Awakening nothing and enjoying life.

I don't think I would change anything about my life if I were immortal. I'm already planning as if I might be finance-wise (I plan on saving up enough money to live off of investments for eternity and retiring early). Learning Awakening on the side would be fun though, even if I would never get into any dangerous situations it has a lot of utility. Climbing the sides of buildings, general protection, I imagine you could find a way to make a car-equivalent with the Fifth Heightening...

Immune to all disease and aging does not mean immune to falling off a ten storie building.

Lets see. I woud be immune to mortal needs so I suppose I coud kick back and experiment with awakening commands and from time to time use my perfect senses to create some masterpiece of art to pay the bills.

Two of my main concerns woud be finding commands for wood constructs to perform rutine housework and trying to find out if Returned/Lifless with a consciousness can be created without a divine breath. Maybe also see what happens if I reach the 9th hightening and awaken a big mass of clay with the command "be entertaining" or "be usefull to me." In the best case this woud give me a friendly shapeshifting assistent, in the worst case... a shapeshifting sociopath.... put some kind of "elimenating invested breath" on my research list.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see. I woud be immune to mortal needs so I suppose I coud kick back and experiment with awakening commands and from time to time use my perfect senses to create some masterpiece of art to pay the bills.

Two of my main concerns woud be finding commands for wood constructs to perform rutine housework and trying to find out if Returned/Lifless with a consciousness can be created without a divine breath. Maybe also see what happens if I reach the 9th hightening and awaken a big mass of clay with the command "be entertaining" or "be usefull to me." In the best case this woud give me a friendly shapeshifting assistent, in the worst case... a shapeshifting sociopath.... put some kind of "elimenating invested breath" on my research list.

If your idea of entertainment is...unsettling, the first could be pretty freaky as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming other people also had a single Breath but didn't know about it.. I would become a magician, and do one of those interactive shows, get the whole audience talking, get them happy. Make them trust me and do breathing exercises. You know, "Breathe in, and imagine your breath is like a rainbow. Breathe out. In... Out... Good, now, I need you to trust me. Breathe your trust into me. Imagine this spectrum of rainbow breath streaming out of you and into me. If you don't trust... don't believe.. The magic won't work."

Then make them do the "My life to yours, my Breath become yours." While imagining themselves breathing out a full spectrum of light into me. I'd say its "Part of the magic. You've really got to believe!" And then when I robbed them all of their Breath, reaping hundreds if not thousands of Breaths per show, I'd Awaken things for magic. Then, with the impossibility of my shows, I'd draw much bigger crowds, doing multiple shows a day. I'd stop shows after 10,000,000 Breaths. (High heights, but in a world where Breath would be free for me, not as hard as it sounds.) Then I'd use my enormous amount of Breath to practice Awakening for about 200 years.

After that, I'd take on a few apprentices, and through them, I'd introduce Awakening to the world. (Conveniently, everyone I robbed of their Breath will be long dead by then.) I'd sell off maybe 500,000 Breaths, which I think someone calculated, in Hallandren went for $4,000 per. I think they'd go for much more, though, since this would be a world of militaries rushing to equip their troops with super soldiers asap. Some people would sell theirs for money, probably a majority. The others would be all scheming to become immortal and get magic.

I'd start a company with the 500,000 Breaths, call it Awaken. I'd put it on the Stock Market, make even -more- money, Buy a castle, and awaken me a few sets of armor and swords to defend it and me, along with awakening just about every single previously living thing in the Castle with the simple "Protect me." phrase, and make it into a fortress. I'd then live out my days as the single most powerful Awakener there is, since I'd have a 200 or so year head start of practice, as well as a shitton of Breaths, and the more you have, the easier it is to learn new commands. Oooh, I would have a spell book of commands. :3

Also, with 10,000,000 Breaths, I wonder if I'd hit a higher Heightening? Does it stop at 10? Maybe 16? Or does it just keep going? I think 10,000,000 Breaths, if it just kept going, would probably be like the 17th Heightening, since the number of Breaths required for a Heightening roughly doubles each level up. The 17th Heightening of the 17th Shard... That sounds exciting.

Yeah, I've thought about this too much...

Edited by cris34b

Then make them do the "My life to yours, my Breath become yours." While imagining themselves breathing out a full spectrum of light into me. I'd say its "Part of the magic. You've really got to believe!" And then when I robbed them all of their Breath, reaping hundreds if not thousands of Breaths per show, I'd Awaken things for magic. Then, with the impossibility of my shows, I'd draw much bigger crowds, doing multiple shows a day. 

I, I ,I don't know what to say. :huh:

Take them you evil master mind! ( O.O)>*****

Seriously, that is one of the most devious thoughts every conceived. Well played.

Then make them do the "My life to yours, my Breath become yours." While imagining themselves breathing out a full spectrum of light into me. I'd say its "Part of the magic. You've really got to believe!" And then when I robbed them all of their Breath, reaping hundreds if not thousands of Breaths per show, I'd Awaken things for magic.

You might want to plan for everyone that visits your show becoming depressive afterwards. That is most likely not good for your reputation but apart from that, yeah evil genius.

Crap, I just realized that you have to be touching someone to give them your breath, so that wouldn't actually work... Maybe I'd just have like a weird setup in the audience, like have tables, and go table to table, making sure everyone is touching me. Regardless of how I did it, I would be such a scam artist, stealing all of the Breath. #16th Heightening.

I'd do scientific stuff... I'd also test it out on liquids, solid-liquids, solids (i.e. ice) that I can melt into a liquid (i.e. water) and see what they do... etc.

I'd write a fabulous book. I'd take every college class I could and be a genius. I'd be a great spy (:)). I'd go to every single landmark (famous and/or sub-famous, and/or not-quite-sub-famous) and do the stuff I could...

I'd find those many perfect someones, in my many years of life. :P jk LOL. I would probably not...

And then I'd interrogate Brandon Sanderson and learn all about the Cosmere and everything we dont know. I'd find out how the SA turns out, Szeth's past, all that cool stuff.

I can imagine an army of Necro-Squirrels moving down from the Northwest to take over the entirety of the U.S.A. That would be the zombie apocalypse. I'm sure nobody expected it to come in the form of a squirrel. No one but the members of the 17th Shard... Prepare yourselves, the end is near.

I can imagine an army of Necro-Squirrels moving down from the Northwest to take over the entirety of the U.S.A. That would be the zombie apocalypse. I'm sure nobody expected it to come in the form of a squirrel. No one but the members of the 17th Shard... Prepare yourselves, the end is near.

Beware my necro-squirrel armies!

*adds "leader of the lifeless squirrel armies" to sig*

Assuming other people also had a single Breath but didn't know about it.. I would become a magician, and do one of those interactive shows, get the whole audience talking, get them happy. Make them trust me and do breathing exercises. You know, "Breathe in, and imagine your breath is like a rainbow. Breathe out. In... Out... Good, now, I need you to trust me. Breathe your trust into me. Imagine this spectrum of rainbow breath streaming out of you and into me. If you don't trust... don't believe.. The magic won't work."

Then make them do the "My life to yours, my Breath become yours." While imagining themselves breathing out a full spectrum of light into me. I'd say its "Part of the magic. You've really got to believe!" And then when I robbed them all of their Breath, reaping hundreds if not thousands of Breaths per show, I'd Awaken things for magic. Then, with the impossibility of my shows, I'd draw much bigger crowds, doing multiple shows a day. I'd stop shows after 10,000,000 Breaths. (High heights, but in a world where Breath would be free for me, not as hard as it sounds.) Then I'd use my enormous amount of Breath to practice Awakening for about 200 years.

After that, I'd take on a few apprentices, and through them, I'd introduce Awakening to the world. (Conveniently, everyone I robbed of their Breath will be long dead by then.) I'd sell off maybe 500,000 Breaths, which I think someone calculated, in Hallandren went for $4,000 per. I think they'd go for much more, though, since this would be a world of militaries rushing to equip their troops with super soldiers asap. Some people would sell theirs for money, probably a majority. The others would be all scheming to become immortal and get magic.

I'd start a company with the 500,000 Breaths, call it Awaken. I'd put it on the Stock Market, make even -more- money, Buy a castle, and awaken me a few sets of armor and swords to defend it and me, along with awakening just about every single previously living thing in the Castle with the simple "Protect me." phrase, and make it into a fortress. I'd then live out my days as the single most powerful Awakener there is, since I'd have a 200 or so year head start of practice, as well as a shitton of Breaths, and the more you have, the easier it is to learn new commands. Oooh, I would have a spell book of commands. :3

Also, with 10,000,000 Breaths, I wonder if I'd hit a higher Heightening? Does it stop at 10? Maybe 16? Or does it just keep going? I think 10,000,000 Breaths, if it just kept going, would probably be like the 17th Heightening, since the number of Breaths required for a Heightening roughly doubles each level up. The 17th Heightening of the 17th Shard... That sounds exciting.

Yeah, I've thought about this too much...

The trick would to never reveal the source of your powers. People might figure out the exact phrase, but you might even be able to bottleneck the supply around yourself.

To Terminus!