Does Investiture defies the laws of Physics

WayneSpren

Some guy said that "energy can not be created or destroyed". In the Cosmere, this is not true. Hemalurgy is end-negative (it loses power whenever you transfer abilities).

When Hemalurgy loses power, does the power go back to the Shard, or does it cease to exist?Could someone tell me the specifics?

Yes and no. Most investiture breaks the laws of physics as we understand them, because there is one bit often left out when citing them - the phrase "in a closed system." For our universe, the biggest closed system is, well, our universe. The Cosmere has two more to work with.

The best way to understand it, I think, is to look at the physical realm first - energy (or matter) is often created there as a result of investing. This violates the laws of thermodynamics as we understand them, because the physical realm is the only one we have access to. In the Cosmere, however, there are other realms - so the creation of energy in the physical could, in fact, be a transfer of energy from one (or both) of the other realms into it. Total energy of the system = conserved.

Some guy said that "energy can not be created or destroyed". In the Cosmere, this is not true. Hemalurgy is end-negative (it loses power whenever you transfer abilities).

When Hemalurgy loses power, does the power go back to the Shard, or does it cease to exist?Could someone tell me the specifics?

Doesn't necessarily have to be destroyed, the energy can be lost (decaying back into raw Investiture as opposed to properly formed Spiritweb or into the 'atmosphere') without being destroyed. Indeed Thermodynamics insists that it must, aside from energy neither being created or destroyed the laws of Thermodynamics also insist that no energy transfer is perfectly efficient, some energy is always lost as waste byproducts, like sound heat and light.

We also see that with other magics in the Cosmere, powerful acts of magic frequently generate byproducts, like light or smoke.

• Chaos locked this topic