Words of Radiance Cover Reveal

otomo

maybe Szeth attacked them on a gem-heart hunt, their he would only fight soldieres, it pained him to kill civiliance before.

here he would have lots of combat advantages too. Kaladin can not realy fight him at all, not haveing any shards, so it would make sence to carry the gem-heart away from Szeth to weaken him. 

this would make several problems for Kaladin, because ppl would think hes running away from his bodyguarding job.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of this cover. But then I will be waiting to see what the cover of the UK release looks like since that will be the one I'm getting. I have always been a fan of minimalist covers and generally do not like seeing characters on the front of the books, preferring landscapes and abstract art. This is why the WoK cover really split my opinion because the highstorm in that was really beautiful but I wasn't sure about the Dalinar figure. That has since grown on me but this one I just can't see doing the same. I don't feel like the design of Kaladin's clothes looks martial enough; with a wide collar open at the neck etc. Looks very 70s...

I find the Gollancz covers a lot more appealing, they are quite minimalist and follow a theme of shards and colour. I do like the Tor covers of Way of Kings and Warbreaker more than the Gollancz ones though. But I really do not like this cover. I can recognize the artistry in it but it just reminds me of the US WoT covers which I do not like. I definitely can understand why people would see this cover as excellent and Way of Kings had a pretty glorious book cover but I cannot get over the awkward stance Kaladin is in, looking at the concept poses and despite those being a bit overused, still look a lot better than what is on the cover now. 

I also can't get behind the use of the Shattered Plains again, I can understand that it will probably be the major setting for this book due to basically every POV character being there but I would have liked, as someone else said, to see Shadesmar and Shallan on the cover. Any ways that's just my opinion sorry about the rant. 

/>I have to admit that I am not a fan of this cover. But then I will be waiting to see what the cover of the UK release looks like since that will be the one I'm getting. I have always been a fan of minimalist covers and generally do not like seeing characters on the front of the books, preferring landscapes and abstract art. This is why the WoK cover really split my opinion because the highstorm in that was really beautiful but I wasn't sure about the Dalinar figure. That has since grown on me but this one I just can't see doing the same. I don't feel like the design of Kaladin's clothes looks martial enough; with a wide collar open at the neck etc. Looks very 70s...

This is almost exactly my opinion. Characters on the cover make it hard for me to take the book seriously. But muted colors and landscapes or scenes zoomed out to ridiculous degrees lack the attention-grabbing tools the publishers seem to think these books need. Action movie covers aren't too far ahead. However, if you're going to put a character on the cover, Dalinar is how you do it. He is far enough away, and the stormwall so imposing, that I think The Way of Kings cover just plain works. This one... Feels way too WoT. I guess I like Whelan art more on my desktop wallpaper than in the doctor's office lobby.

I think that is likely deddinty.  Personally, I can't recall a single book cover I have seen that depicts an actual scene from a book.  However, the elements are compelling in and of themselves.

Hmm. Eye of the World and pretty much any in that series.  Wizards first rule and several in that series.  Most of the original Percy Jackson books, and all of the new series of Percy. All of the Elenium and Tamuli books.  A good number of the ones I own do.  Probably more than don't.

My problem with the cover is: it is the second book in the series which has characters on the cover who are not the main POV characters.
Way of Kings: Kaladins book, Dalinar cover
WoR: Shallans book, Kaladin cover.

And Kaladin seems to just posing which is very "cool" but  its a bit funny for me in a fighting scene.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that the covers don't feature the flashback characters; the books are much more than just the flashbacks after all. It looks like the covers are featuring viewpoint (or future viewpoint) characters who fight one-on-one: Dalinar vs. Eshonai, Kaladin vs. Szeth, Shallan vs. ???.

Have we confirmation about that Kal vs. Szeth fight? Seems much likely to happen, but I think that at the moment we don't. I think that the only thing MW wants with the cover is to reflect what is the book about. Neither flashbacks nor a single 1v1 fight seems as important, having on count the tons of content. 

Brandon's gonna try to make that a trend. He'll push for Shallan to be on book three.

Sorry, I'm getting all over-credulous now: is that a fact from SpoCon, or a joke?  :huh:

Have we confirmation about that Kal vs. Szeth fight? Seems much likely to happen, but I think that at the moment we don't. I think that the only thing MW wants with the cover is to reflect what is the book about. Neither flashbacks nor a single 1v1 fight seems as important, having on count the tons of content.

It's almost certain. Brandon has alluded pretty strongly (answer 4) to the two holding stormlight at the same time, at the very least.

Edited by Kurkistan

• 2 weeks later...

I like the cover.  But eveyone seems to be glossing over a big piece of lore it has revealed.  Kaladin is slightly cross eyed!

Well, we just figured that was a given since you must be at least slightly cross-eyed to see fancy pants spren like Syl.  :P

I've seen a lot of Wheelans work, and I don't think this will ever be considered one of his strongest pieces. Personally, it hardly matters to me since I'm just buying the digital version anyway.

After conferring with Brandon Sanderson they agreed on a short list of key scenes for me to consider. Irene sent me these possible scenes in an email accompanied by copious notes about characters, dress, and other necessary details.

At the very least, this is the artists interpretation of an actual scene. That doesn't mean it is true to the book, just true to the artists vision of the scene.

• 4 weeks later...

That pose is incredibly awkward for Kaladin. For anyone who thinks hes in balance, I invite you to try and assume that pose yourself. (I just did) Even accounting for the spear as a third point for him to balance himself, that is not a battle ready stance. If anything it looks like he just got hamered by an overhead attack and he had to get beneath it to stop the glowbag from being damaged/destroyed.

• Chaos locked this topic