A question on Vo

Jedidiah

1. How do you know that the Shard in Nalthis is Endowment? I assume this was revealed at a convention or q&a panel?

2. Is it possible that Vo was the original holder of Endowment? I know it would seem more likely that Austre was the first holder, but wouldn't the original holder benefit from the Shard's power (hence, be the first Returned)? Vasher obviously had different names throughout history, so could Austre and Vo be the same person? This is more of a question for Cosmere experts rather than a promulgation of a new theory...

Much of the info for any of the non-explicit stuff comes from various interviews, panels, his personal annotations, and signing questions.

I doubt Vo was the first holder because he has a background on the planet before he returned and he had a physical body at that time.   Ruin and Ati both became incorporeal as well as three additional holders that come out Mistborn.  

Austre fits the holder mold much better than Vo.  Whether or not Austre was the original holder is a different question.

1. How do you know that the Shard in Nalthis is Endowment? I assume this was revealed at a convention or q&a panel?

Some quotes from Q&As: 

Zas678

I know that we've "interacted with two directly" (the pool in Elantris, and The Voice that called Lightsong back to life) that we've "seen it's power" (Dahkhor??) and another that we've seen their infulence (I have no idea on this one, though I think it might be whatever pointed out Aon Rao in Elantris to Raoden)

Brandon Sanderson

Nice guesses on most of those. You've got some things right. You've got some things wrong. The only thing I'll confirm (and I don't think I've said this before) is that The Voice is, indeed, one of the Shards of Adonalsium. (Endowment is that Shard's true name, by the way.)

source

hth :) 

Goradel

Also, does Endowment have some physical presence in the book similar to Ruin=Atium, etc?

Brandon Sanderson (Goodreads)

Endowment does have such a thing, but it does not appear onscreen in the novel Warbreaker.

source

Link389

Are there any other shards on Nalthis aside from Endowment

Brandon Sanderson

I suppose I can answer this if I haven't already. No, it is only Endowment.

source

• 3 weeks later...

Do we have any other examples of a Shardworld religion that features a named god (Not one called God or the Almighty) where the God's name is not the name of the Shard? Sazed's records name quite a few, I believe.

On the other hand, do we have any cases where a religion formed around a God with the same name as the Shardholder? Were there any Scadrian religions that followed a God named Leras or Ati?

There is also Vun Makkak and Nu Rallak (I think I spelled that one wrong) in the Purelake region of Roshar in TWoK.  There was not any religions on Scadrial (that were mentioned in the books) that referred to either Ati or Leras by their human names.  Even at the point of Scadrial (which is early in our chronology), the holders of the shards had held them so long that they were more the Shard than their former selves.  They were swallowed up in their respective shard's intents.  If any religion revered a Shard by the holder's human name, then that religion would be likely very old. 

• Chaos locked this topic