Who is the titular character? (spoilers)

Elisheva

So I just reread the book and I started thinking about how the title was originally "The Scribbler", and we know to whom that is referring. But Brandon decided to change the title to "The Rithmatist". So who is the titular character? Still the bad guy?

It could be in reference to Nalizar. 

He is/was a Rithmatist and appears to be Joel's Lex Luthor.  Since he seems to be a functioning human body which had the ability to do rithmatics, I would suppose he would qualify as a rithmatist even if he is an uber-forgotten.

There might not be a titular character; it could be a symbolic reference to Rithmatics in general.

The Warbreaker cover has symbolic elements that never happen in the story, like Siri using her breath, and having a sword. They refer to the magic system and the impending war symbolically. That's cover art, not the title, but it could be a variant of the same idea. If something looks good as a title, it would be a shame not to use it just because it doesn't 100% fit any character.

Whether The Rithmatist even looks good as a title is debateable. I like Scribbler far, far better, and I know I'm not the only one. But that's irrelevant. I don't think this is a thing like Warbreaker. I would agree with either the Nalizar idea or it being Joel. I'm leaning more towards Joel though. It makes more sense, even if he's not technically a Rithmatist.

Maybe this is a regional thing and the word means different things elsewhere, but "scribbling" is something little children do with markers and crayons, before they learn to write.

I'm surprised Brandon even left the word in the novel, to describe the murder suspect. To me, "scribbler" suggests someone at most 5 years old.

That's odd. Where I come from (Northeast of the US), we don't have any such association, at least not that I'm aware of. When I read "scribbler," I just see "one who scribbles", in the sense of "carelessly or hurriedly". "He scribbled off a note to himself" or some such.

Edited by Kurkistan

I think we're over thinking things and "The Rithmatist" is simply a title. There doesn't need to be any reason at all. I could be wrong but I doubt any author would such a incredibly vague hint on the off chance someone might think with that much paranoia. No offense.

Edited by Ender

• 2 weeks later...