The Goals of "The Set"

The Sovereign

I suspect he meant they would be lured in under false pretences... but there are still issues. They don't want a trail leading back to them. No one has the first idea where the Vanishers are. All it would take was one woman saying, "Good-bye, mother, I'm heading to an appointment, I expect to be back in a few hours, do you know the best way to get to this address? Should I go through the Fields of Rebirth to avoid the traffic, or just go right over the bridge?" and then when she vanishes, that's a clue for people to start following.

A different tactic, then: just do the Dune thing and manipulate the family trees going forward.  They already have one of their targets (Steris) engaged to be married with a very powerful Allomantic family (House Ladrian).  It'd take longer, but hey, it's not as though there's a deadline.  

Unless there is, and the Set is ramping up their efforts because there's no time to prove their foresight.  

• 2 weeks later...

I may have read this before but.

If the captured women were to be given additional alomancy powers via hemalurgy, would this increase the chances of the birth of a mistborn?

For instance if the women were given half the power of a full mistborn and their 'mate' the opposite half, would this increase the chances of any children having all of the powers?

Perhaps the Set already have a man spiked in this way and the women were chosen because they were strong in one or two of the opposite powers to the man and would need less hemalurgy to get the half set.

Perhaps the name Set refers to giving an individual the full 'set' of allomantic powers.

I forgot she had no powers but maybe her sister having some was enough to gamble on her having a power that is useless at this time.

or

She has a very special personality, perhaps it was this and its effect on her spiritweb that made her a target? Perhaps the cracks in her spiritweb make the absorption of powers transferred via hemalurgy easier?

I would not be upset if Steris became a mistborn  :)

If nothing else, we the readers would almost certainly get a lot more scholarly research data on allomancy.

Then she could help write the Ars Arcanum. She'd probably love using Nazh as her errands boy as much as the actual author of the AA. 

Steris: Oh, hey, Nazh. Would you mind getting me some atium for my research?

Nazh: Ugh. Not again. Didn't I get enough last time when you asked me to steal a few beads from Iron Eyes? I barely survived that encounter. Remember all the blood? Because it took me ages to wash it out of my clothes.

Steris: Come on Nazh, it's not that bad. Now, be a good boy and go to the Pits for me? I've heard rumors that atium geodes may be growing again. Additionally, I want to test collecting atium like how the Survivor did it...without lights! So realistic, amIright?

Nazh: Oh, come on! Really? Fine. But if the geodes rip my clothes, which they will, you're buying me new ones. Ugh...

It is too bad Bend Alloy is so expensive or else they could just find someone to flare it in the room full of pregnant women and then the pregnancies wouldn't take as long.  In real time the wait would be a lot shorter to see the "Fruits" of the their "Labors".   -sorry couldn't help myself-  It wouldn't be the first time that someone  stockpiled a metal and the rest of the world thought was scarce.  I know that it is a stretch but a fun idea to play with.  What could take many generations would might only take one or two. 

What could take many generations would might only take one or two. 

...at ENORMOUS expense. I'm not talking Bendalloy here; do you know what it costs to raise a child to adulthood? Food, clothes. The idea apparently is that they get trained to obedience. So you'd need to have people already loyal enough to grow old and die in a year so they can sit in a bendalloy bubble brainwashing a child to be loyal to you. And never being able to move more than five feet in any direction.

The Set might be 'quite solvent' from the business ventures they took over from Tekiel, but trying to raise literally generations of a clan within the space of a few years would cost many orders of magnitude more money than they could possibly have; not to mention, however fertile Elendel basin might be, it's unlikely that they produce enough food to feed that group of people at the rate of consumption you're talking about. Unless you're suggesting even more bendalloy bubbles to raise crops and cattle... who would NOT survive in a five foot bubble, so you'd need a few hundred Sliders burning expensive metals all the time...

I don't see this idea as feasible.

After reading a part of SoS

Minor SoS spoilers

Edwarn Ladrian says during Wax's flashback that "The most important things in the world are worth only what people will pay for them. If you can raise someone's expectations...if you can make them need something ...that is the source of wealth. Owning things of value is secondary to creating things of value where none once existed."

I'm more of the opinion they're trying to create something through Haemalurgy, something that would get people offering a lot of money for; whether it be a mistborn or otherwise is up for argument.

...at ENORMOUS expense. I'm not talking Bendalloy here; do you know what it costs to raise a child to adulthood? Food, clothes. The idea apparently is that they get trained to obedience. So you'd need to have people already loyal enough to grow old and die in a year so they can sit in a bendalloy bubble brainwashing a child to be loyal to you. And never being able to move more than five feet in any direction.

Can you imagine a book about that.  if anyone could make a book about a 5 foot bubble interesting i bet it would be Brandon Sanderson.  It would probably include the Bendalloy allomancer losing faith in his mission years in and training the children to attack those who created them.  

Anyways I think I overstretched but I think it would only be a feasible plan to bring the women to term.  Then they would harvest the children abilities through Haemalurgy.  

I'm more of the opinion they're trying to create something through Haemalurgy, something that would get people offering a lot of money for; whether it be a mistborn or otherwise is up for argument.

On demand Haemaleglic powers.  Buy a power and one of the children is brought to you and you are given its power.   Messy process.  

Edited by Bow Tie Bandit

Messy but potentially very effective.

We know that infants can be “spiked” and pass along abilities (Vin’s earing) so if one could find a way to accurately determine each child’s ability, then sell that ability as a spike…

After the initial acquisition of “breeders” the costs would be minimal and the profits could be limitless.

Disgusting, but possible…. 

Maybe she can burn a metal that isn't readily available and doesn't know she is a Misting ..but the Set knows

@King of nowhere - I think maybe her father is part of the Set

I think Brandon gets us to think a certain way - gets us to take things for granted

Just to come back to the idea, that the plan of Set is to create an Inquisitor (or something like).

I don't really think this would be a problem, neither I think that when this "SWAT-Team hunting a Mistborn" happens, that the Mistborn is a hemalurgy-construct.

Don't forget, Sazed is always there. And as he has the power of Ruin as well, he could just take control over a person with so many spikes.

I mean, if there'd be a person who's going crazy and kill everyone, and this person has like 10 or even more spikes, don't you think Sazed would just take control over him? True, until this person becomes enough spikes, Mistings and Ferrings will die, but when it gets really dangerous, Saze will get it done

I mean, if there'd be a person who's going crazy and kill everyone, and this person has like 10 or even more spikes, don't you think Sazed would just take control over him? True, until this person becomes enough spikes, Mistings and Ferrings will die, but when it gets really dangerous, Saze will get it done

I don't think he would be able to act. He is both Preservation and Ruin. If anything this would just the Ruin side of the coin. There is an exception to the rule with the Kandra because of the contract. I suspect that if the contract didn't exist Harmony would not be allowed (by his own intents) to control them.

With that said, I very much suspect he would try to influence the killer into a direction that serves his own devices similar to what he most likely does with Marsh.

Edited by Iron Eyes

• Chaos locked this topic