Book 1:

We discover Bastille wants to be an Oculator

Al compares this to wanting to become a popsicle

Book 2:

Australia once dreamed of a hot day and woke up as a popsicle

Book 4:
Alcatraz uses Bestower's Lenses to give people his talent

Theory:
Al will use his Bestower's Lenses to give Bastille his Oculatory abilities.

• 1 month later...

*awkwardly butts in to conversation*

Personally, I think Brandon will probably continue with the Bestower's Lenses stuff (if the 5th book ever happens). I could see him continuing on the idea of Alcatraz giving his Talent through the lenses. Who really knows, though?

I do think that there's a chance that Bastille will somehow become Oculator-y, simply because of how vehemently Alcatraz denies that it will ever happen. Because, as we all know, Al is a liar.

*awkwardly leaves conversation*

Also, kindly assume that we can, in fact, trust anything we hear about this.

If we can, then Al's getting tied to that altar in Book Five and sacrificed for his Oculatory abilities. A clever stooped Al move would be to give Bastille his oculatory abilities, so at the very least the Librarians wouldn't have the Lenses.

EDIT:

I asked if Bastille could become at Oculator at a signing, and he said that it would be very difficult, but it is possible.

Edited by The Rangress

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Only tangentially related: this thread has led me to realize that the transfer of abilities is a theme that has permeated most of Brandon's works. Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, Alcatraz, Steelheart; all feature the gifting of abilities very prominently as part of their magic systems. For all we know, Stormlight Archive will eventually feature a method of gifting as well.

That is all. Carry on. :)

Only tangentially related: this thread has led me to realize that the transfer of abilities is a theme that has permeated most of Brandon's works. Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, Alcatraz, Steelheart; all feature the gifting of abilities very prominently as part of their magic systems. For all we know, Stormlight Archive will eventually feature a method of gifting as well.

That is all. Carry on. :)

Elantris? I read that more as "initiation rituals that will warp your mind and body".

Elantris? I read that more as "initiation rituals that will warp your mind and body".

Hey, no one said the gift was a nice gift. :rolleyes:

It would not surprise me at all if Alcatraz gifts Bastille some Oculator abilities. In this case I'm sure the gift will be much appreciated, though knowing Bastille, I'm sure she'll find some way to yell at Alcatraz anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The whole time I just thought Alcatraz would break everything he wanted to whenever he wanted to to imitate other Talents... break time to use G. Smedry's, break space to use his uncle's or dad's... etc.

So I was thinking he would break Oculatory abilities to get Bastille one/them.

Edited by Stroniax

I could see him giving his powers to Bastille. Honestly the only thing that I'm sure is going to happen is that they're married by the time Brandon Al is writing the books.

Really? That's the only thing I'm sure isn't going to happen. There's so much foreshadowing for it that it's never going to happen.

Well that or they're both dead and in the spiritual realm together............Actually I really like that idea.

Nah, I think they're just never going to get together. Either one of them is going to die (again, if it's Bastille), turn out to be a secret Librarian agent (if so, it'll probably be Alcatraz), or be transformed into something weird (or maybe I've just been reading too much Clark Ashton Smith), or they just won't get together. The complete defiance of expectations, narrative physics, and foreshadowing is just the sort of thing that Alcatraz would do. 

Edited by Shaggai

• 10 months later...

I've just started book 4 and didn't get to this part, but, if you Bestow your Talent, you temporarily lose it, right? But when you marry someone, that person gets the same talent, forever (till the divorce), even if you die.

So can you marry someone to have 2 people with the talent and then, by Hemalurgical logic, lend your Talent to your spouse, therefore having someone with a talent twice more powerful? (Especially since Al's breaking is nearly omnipotent as it is)