Why Did Vin Avoid Hoid?

Wherethewindgoes

Hoid has a lot of illusionary powers.. Vin and her ablilites to pierce copper clouds.. could cross over to percieving slight differences in light manipulation or perhaps even detcet breaths or color distortion through breaths that Hoid held. Either way Hoid has powers and Vin is good at deceting stuff- and not the one to fall into traps..

I found the quote I was thinking of (which says something about Hoid's original motives, meaning he might have used it for something else as well...unclear):

INTERVIEW: Mar 29th, 2014 HEROWANNABE
The Lord Ruler, he had his Lerasium beads, did he use them for Feruchemy?
BRANDON SANDERSON

[impish grin] Ah ha ha ha. The Lord Ruler, heh heh heh, That is an excellent question.

HEROWANNABE

Not going to answer?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not going to answer that one.

HEROWANNABE

Would you answer if Hoid used it for Feruchemy?

BRANDON SANDERSON

His bead? Hoid’s bead was—He originally got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer. [Note that he doesn’t actually answer the question.]

To ring in on this, I am not trying to be negative or criticize any theories. The way I see it, is if we can eliminate possibilities, it will bring us closer to the actual answer, so without further ado....

-"She picked an informant on the other side of the spectrum--a beggar named Hoid whom Cett claimed could be found in a particular square late at night...She soon located a figure that wasn't sleeping like the others, but sitting quietly in the light ashfall. Her ears picked out a faint sound. The man was humming to himself, as the instructions sad that he might be doing.

Vin hesitated.

She couldn't decide what it was, but something bothered her about the situation. It wasn't right. She didn't stop to think, she simply turned and jumped away."

So by that logic, the humming itself shouldn't have spooked her as that was what she expected him to do based on the instructions

-I don't believe Vin was a sliver by that point. Admittedly this is my own logic, but when she accessed the well, she GAVE UP the power. She didn't pick it up and "play" till the end of the third book. So (again my own reasoning), the whole sliver thing wouldn't work. Can anyone confirm or disprove this? Figure it will help narrow things down

Yes, it seems that Vin was Sliver.

Source: - ("Vin Sliver" on Theoryland)

ZAS678

Also, would the Elantrians and the Lerasium-mistings be considered Slivers? Or is just the Lord Ruler and Vin Slivers (Via the Well)? Or do you need more power to be considered a Sliver?

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)
Elantrians are not slivers. Mistborn trilogy spoiler warnings follow! The Lord Ruler was indeed a Sliver. So was Vin. For the rest, I would say probably not.

What defines an actual Sliver of Adonalsium is not as clear-cut as you might think. It's a term that in-universe people who study this have applied to various existences and states. Every single person on the world of Scadrial has a bit of Leras in them—a bit of the power of Preservation. Every single person has a bit of Ati in them. There's a certain threshold where these scholars would call you a Sliver of Adonalsium. But I would say that any regular Misting is probably not a Sliver. A full Lerasium Mistborn is getting closer, but people who have held one of the powers are what would probably be termed a Sliver by the definitions. If you hold all the power that makes you a Shard, but the Lord Ruler held a little bit of it and then let it go. From then on they referred to that change in him—the residue, what was left—as a Sliver. When he held it he became the Shard for a short time, and Vin was a Shard for a short time. After Vin gave up the power, what Kelsier is at the end of the trilogy—that's a Sliver of Adonalsium

Vin only ever "gave up" the power of Preservation the one time at the Well: the other time it was a matter of dying while holding it.
Edited by Kurkistan

Hmmm, this may be splitting hairs, but I interpret that reading as when she used it to kill Ruin, and gave it up that way. I'm not sure he is referring to the first time at the well. Then again you have the quote, so I am probably very wrong lol

WoB, after Kelsier died, he stuck around. When Vin used it to battle Ruin, and gave it up, someone needed to hold it. Kelsier held it till Sazed picked it up. Or at least that is what I have picked up on this forum. I am definitely NOT the authority on the subject though. 

WoB, after Kelsier died, he stuck around. When Vin used it to battle Ruin, and gave it up, someone needed to hold it. Kelsier held it till Sazed picked it up. Or at least that is what I have picked up on this forum. I am definitely NOT the authority on the subject though. 

Not quite right there, sorry.

The period when Kelsier held (a tiny part of) Preservation was between Leras dying after chatting with Elend and Vin taking up the Shard.

I think she avoids Hoid because of the setting;

-"She picked an informant on the other side of the spectrum--a beggar named Hoid whom Cett claimed could be found in a particular square late at night...She soon located a figure that wasn't sleeping like the others, but sitting quietly in the light ashfall. Her ears picked out a faint sound. The man was humming to himself, as the instructions sad that he might be doing.

Vin hesitated.

She couldn't decide what it was, but something bothered her about the situation. It wasn't right. She didn't stop to think, she simply turned and jumped away."

Hoid assuming he was alone and acting out of character of his beggar facade. In my opinion the whole scene looks a little sinister a lone figure in an ash-falling street....at night? She new he would be humming but i think the tone and his body language puts her street rat instincts on high alert.

just think that what gets her hackles up is how out of character he seems to be from what she was told..

Edited by WEZ313

Just wondering — could Kelsier speak only to Allomancers, or to generic people as well?

Probably only to those who have been spiked or (as some have theorized in the past) those with really really really high "faith" in him.

Probably only to those who have been spiked or (as some have theorized in the past) those with really really really high "faith" in him.

In the circumstances, I suspect that people who had been spiked were the primary ones Kelsier couldn't speak to while he was holding the power.

Even while holding the power, it is strongly implied that he was able to affect only those who had real faith in him (as a god, at least).

In the circumstances, I suspect that people who had been spiked were the primary ones Kelsier couldn't speak to while he was holding the power.

Even while holding the power, it is strongly implied that he was able to affect only those who had real faith in him (as a god, at least).

Oh yes, that. The actual context of Kelsier speaking. You're entirely right and I wasn't thinking clearly. Thank you for the correction, happy.

Edited by Kurkistan

• Chaos locked this topic