The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Why did Ruin not splinter Preservation?

Why did preservation need to work with ruin to create life, where as endowment appears to have done so alone.

Is there a difference, other than size and strength between breaths and divine breaths? Could Nightblood have been weakened using only regular breaths, or were divine breaths necessary?

Are regular breaths splinters?

Why does splintering appear to kill some shards, and merely weaken others?

Why does splintering appear to kill some shards, and merely weaken others?

I think you're mixing a few things up here: Devotion and Dominion had their bearers killed and their Shards Splintered (not necessarily in that order): the two things are not necessarily directly related. Endowment (and I think, think, Honor) Splintered themselves willingly; Tanavast was killed after Splintering (once again, I think), while Edgli, if that's his name, hasn't been killed.

Is Elsecalling related to world-hopping?

Needs rewording. Because I can tell you they are - we know Hoid has used Shadesmar to hop between worlds, and we know Elsecalling can take you to Shadesmar, so there is one way they are related.

Needs rewording. Because I can tell you they are - we know Hoid has used Shadesmar to hop between worlds, and we know Elsecalling can take you to Shadesmar, so there is one way they are related.

Word. Maybe "How does Elsecalling affect world-hopping?"

I thought up a list in the last couple days. Please let me know if we know the answer to any of these, and help with rewording to get past RAFOs. Thanks. :)

If anyone willing to ask these at a signing, I thank you muchly. :)

*Spoilers*

1. In a signing you (Brandon) said that there was something hidden in a map. Which one?

(I don't know if this has been found yet or if we know which map, so please let me know).

2. Before his death in WoR, did Szeth actually have Jezrien's Honourblade?

(This one will probably be RAFO'd).

3. Can all of the Shards manifest like Preservation did? Have we seen this in any other books?

4. When Jasnah was "revived" in WoR, Hoid said that she knew exactly where the closest town was. Is this due to her Transportation powers, or did she know she was going to end up there?

(Probably a RAFO).

5. Is it possible to have access to all Surges?

(I had origionally thought of asking if Hoid had access to them, but I knew FOR SURE that would be a RAFO).

6. Are there Savants beyond Mistborn powers? Like if you used too much Stormlight for too long?

7. How many Heralds have we seen "on page"?

(Probably a RAFO).

8. Will we ever see Tarah?

(Needs better wording).

9. Was Heleran a Surgebinder? What kind?

10. Who is the Shardbearer on the cover of WoK?

11. Is Stormlight pure Investiture? How would a Feruchemist go about storing it? What could they use it for once they did?

(THIS will be RAFO'd).

12. Is Jasnah's Shardblade her spren?

13. How did Jasnah Transform the thugs in the alley, while Shallan had a hard time with a stick?

(This will need rewording).

14. Is it possible to steal a bonded Shardblade? For example, if its owner had willed it to stay and was knocked unconcious, could someone else bond with it? Or would they both be able to Summon it?

15. Is it possible to put a Splintered Shard back together again?

16. Is it possible to put Adonalsium back together be holding all the Shards? Can someone make a Shard?

17. Are the Hoid-Gibberish words all an anagram? Since Balderdash = Shardblade. Is there a key hidden somewhere?

I know some of these won't be able to be answered by anyone but Brandon, but help? 

No links because even I run out of time sometimes.

1. In a signing you (Brandon) said that there was something hidden in a map. Which one?

The black and white one in both books.

2. Before his death in WoR, did Szeth actually have Jezrien's Honourblade?

This is very nearly not worth asking. Brandon has since confirmed that Szeth had an honorblade and a large amount of in-world sources indicate that they work how we think they do.

5. Is it possible to have access to all Surges?

You can bond more than one spren (though there are indications that there's a hard upper-limit) and more than one Honorblade, so likely yes.

10. Who is the Shardbearer on the cover of WoK?

Dalinar and Eshonai. It's stylized.

11. Is Stormlight pure Investiture? How would a Feruchemist go about storing it? What could they use it for once they did?

Apparently it is.

12. Is Jasnah's Shardblade her spren?

Almost certainly. Note its instant formation in the Epilogue. No WoB on this that I know of, though.

14. Is it possible to steal a bonded Shardblade? For example, if its owner had willed it to stay and was knocked unconcious, could someone else bond with it? Or would they both be able to Summon it?

No.

EDIT: Misread you a bit. My apologies. This is less clear, but the books indicate that this wouldn't be possible. First of all, recall the 5-day bonding period. Second, I believe I recall a note that willing a Shardblade to stay was a fairly constant act of will; or, at the very least, that summoning it back was trivial.

Edited by Kurkistan

13. How did Jasnah Transform the thugs in the alley, while Shallan had a hard time with a stick?

15. Is it possible to put a Splintered Shard back together again?

16. Is it possible to put Adonalsium back together be holding all the Shards? Can someone make a Shard?

17. Are the Hoid-Gibberish words all an anagram? Since Balderdash = Shardblade. Is there a key hidden somewhere?

13. I would say experience.  Jasnah has had six years of practice, Shallan had Soulcast twice at that point.

15. Splintering is not permanent.

16.  The definition of RAFO-bait I would say. (But I do have a theory about this...)

17.  This has been asked, the only answer Brandon gave was "Everything Wit says is important, by how much or little it varies"

This is very nearly not worth asking. Brandon has since confirmed that Szeth had an honorblade and a large amount of in-world sources indicate that they work how we think they do.

He could (I stress the could because probably not) have Nalan's Honorblade, or something different.

OH DID HE REVIVE THE SPREN IN HIS SHARDBLADE???!!!

EDIT: Nevermind. momentarily forgot what Syl said. FAIL lol.

No.

EDIT: Misread you a bit. My apologies. This is less clear, but the books indicate that this wouldn't be possible. First of all, recall the 5-day bonding period. Second, I believe I recall a note that willing a Shardblade to stay was a fairly constant act of will; or, at the very least, that summoning it back was trivial.

Do we know for sure that if you will your Blade to stay and then get knocked unconscious it will dissappear? They could keep them unconscious long enough to steal it maybe?

17.  This has been asked, the only answer Brandon gave was "Everything Wit says is important, by how much or little it varies"

I know about that, but the question asked was specifically about Balderdash, and not about a key or anything. Do you think that would be RAFO'd?

Thanks for your help, guys. Are the others good questions, though?

Edited by Khyrindor

Szeth uses all and only the Windrunner Lashings (including Pressure, which Nale doesn't have access to).

No, we aren't quite sure on whether the Blade would stay if you fell unconscious. Hence the EDIT. ;)

You probably ended up with an unclosed quote tag. Try clicking the "lightswitch" button in the top-left corner of the text editor and seeing what's what.

What spren do Bondsmiths bond to?

That question should probably be the "type" of spren they bond to? That's probably a RAFO, but at least it'll be more specific. 

The question as phrased has a little too much wiggle room for my tastes as we've seen one Bondsmith bonding. Don't give Brandon Wiggle Room! :)

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

I know about that, but the question asked was specifically about Balderdash, and not about a key or anything. Do you think that would be RAFO'd?

Actually, the question just used balderdash as an example.  And I don't think it would be RAFO'd but I don't think we would get more of an answer than we already have.

Which Shard has been held by the most amount of people?

Has there been a Sliver whose personality has been 100% changed/turned around by a Shard?

Can a non-sentient lifeform hold a Shard?

I think Ati fits the bill here, at least from the Shardholders that we know of. Hoid mentioned how Ati was a good man, and how much the shard changed him.