The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

If you don't count the Shardholders, I assume?  I would guess not, but an answer from Brandon could be quite illuminating (even a RAFO, maybe).

jW

maybe even counting the shardholders.  Hoid was around when adonalsium was shattered, so he is comparable to them in age

maybe even counting the shardholders.  Hoid was around when adonalsium was shattered, so he is comparable to them in age

I was thinking there wasn't really anywhere to travel to before the Shards set up shop, but that's actually not true (Roshar at least appears to have been inhabited prior), so that's a good point.  I knew he was similar in age, if not older.

jW

Can we get a canonised term for the quality embodying each Shard represents?

Don't we already have one? Brandon himself uses Intent, even when unprompted

BRANDON SANDERSON (paraphrased)

Shards and Shard intents: Holding a Shard is a contest of willpower against the Shard that, over time, is very hard to resist.

Shards affect you over time, but your mind will not leave a permanent effect on the Shard. A holder's personality, however, does get to filter the Shard's intent, so to speak. However, if that holder no longer held that Shard, the Shard will not continue to be filtered by that person.

(source)

Don't we already have one? Brandon himself uses Intent, even when unprompted

I do think it is important to point out that that WoB is paraphrased, so we really can't use that as proof of Brandon using Intent unprompted.

Would anything interesting happen to someone who was conceived and born in the Cognitive Realm?

Seconding Emerald's concerns about wiggle room. I would define "someone" as "any sophont being whose parents were physically in the Cognitive Realm during conception, and/or whose mother (assuming placental birth) was in the Cognitive Realm during labor."

I searched the database, the Google doc, and these forums, and can't see where this has been asked before, so ... here goes:

True or False: "Mister Suit" does NOT have that nickname because of the style of his clothing.

I expect the answer to be "True," because I think "Suit" refers to something mathematical, or something related to a deck of cards, etc. The other names for this group, that we know of, are "Sequence" and "Set." That's what got me thinking that "Suit" might not relate to clothing.

I apologize if this question has, indeed, been asked and either answered/RAFO'ed. If that be the case, someone please reply here with a link to the answer.

Thanks!

I hope that these haven't been asked:

1. How strong is the gravitational force exerted by a basic Lashing? 0.7 g's? If so, is the effect cumulative?

2. Did the Odium-banishing thing with the Bondsmiths have to do with an Odium godspren?

I hope that these haven't been asked:

1. How strong is the gravitational force exerted by a basic Lashing? 0.7 g's? If so, is the effect cumulative?

2. Did the Odium-banishing thing with the Bondsmiths have to do with an Odium godspren?

in the book, when they talk about basic lashings, they tend to be in multiples of Rosharan Gravity (a bit lower than earth gravity if memory serves).  don't have my book to hand rigth now, but to quote the coppermind "a half Lashing upward, for example, would make the Surgebinder effectively weightless, while a quarter Lashing would halve the person's weight." the actual physics are a bit weird, but I read it as a normal basic lashing essentially alters the dirrection of gravity for the target, zeroing out the planet's gravity and pointing it toward the direction of choice instead.  the effect is definitely cumulative (we see both Kaladin and Szeth do it at different points) so a person lashed twice at normal strength would be pulled toward the target point with 2x the strength as normal gravity.

edit: mixed up shardworld, corrected.

Edited by Dunkum

in the book, when they talk about basic lashings, they tend to be in multiples of Scadrian Gravity (a bit lower than earth gravity if memory serves).  don't have my book to hand rigth now, but to quote the coppermind "a half Lashing upward, for example, would make the Surgebinder effectively weightless, while a quarter Lashing would halve the person's weight." the actual physics are a bit weird, but I read it as a normal basic lashing essentially alters the dirrection of gravity for the target, zeroing out the planet's gravity and pointing it toward the direction of choice instead.  the effect is definitely cumulative (we see both Kaladin and Szeth do it at different points) so a person lashed twice at normal strength would be pulled toward the target point with 2x the strength as normal gravity.

So one half lashing would exert a force of one Rg. (Roshars gravity)

in the book, when they talk about basic lashings, they tend to be in multiples of Scadrian Gravity (a bit lower than earth gravity if memory serves).  don't have my book to hand rigth now, but to quote the coppermind "a half Lashing upward, for example, would make the Surgebinder effectively weightless, while a quarter Lashing would halve the person's weight." the actual physics are a bit weird, but I read it as a normal basic lashing essentially alters the dirrection of gravity for the target, zeroing out the planet's gravity and pointing it toward the direction of choice instead.  the effect is definitely cumulative (we see both Kaladin and Szeth do it at different points) so a person lashed twice at normal strength would be pulled toward the target point with 2x the strength as normal gravity.

I thought Lashings were based on Rosharan gravity (0.7g) given that it's a Rosharan ability?

I thought Lashings were based on Rosharan gravity (0.7g) given that it's a Rosharan ability?

I would expect it's more just altering their connection to gravity in some way, so it would probably match up with any planet it's used on. Hard to say without examples of course.

jW

I would expect it's more just altering their connection to gravity in some way, so it would probably match up with any planet it's used on. Hard to say without examples of course.

jW

Well after doing some digging on Roshar a half lashing upwards leaves you suspended in mid-air, so while on Roshar at the least it's in magnitudes of Roshar's gravity

err...yes.  mixed up my shardworlds there.  should have been roshar, not scadrial.  my bad.  will edit that post for clarity

If a shard goes, to Roshar, would they get a godspren, like how a shard that goes to Scandrial gets a godmetal?

Godmetals and spren aren't very good analogs. by WoB, spren are splinters whereas godmetals aren't. I would expect the creation mechanism for the two to be substantially different.