The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

So this is on RIDICULOUSLY short notice, but I will be attending the Sanderson RAFOlympics tomorrow at JordanCon. Problem is, I only have a few questions thought out. I don't know how many I'll be allowed to ask, but if anyone has anything they want asked, I'll try and a few to my list. Preferably simply, I'm not exactly as knowledgeable when it comes to Cosmere related topics. Here is what I have so far.

It was recently revealed that Dragons in the Cosmere can take human form, and the kandra can do something remarkably similar. Is there any meaningful connection between the two?

Going off of that question: Can a kandra take the form of a dragon? If a kandra were to disguise as a dragon who had taken the form of a human, would they notice any significant differences in anatomy?

In both Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive, a character named Felt appears. Is this the same person?

If anybody wants to help me tune up these questions so they sound better, that'd be great.  

So this is on RIDICULOUSLY short notice, but I will be attending the Sanderson RAFOlympics tomorrow at JordanCon. Problem is, I only have a few questions thought out. I don't know how many I'll be allowed to ask, but if anyone has anything they want asked, I'll try and a few to my list. Preferably simply, I'm not exactly as knowledgeable when it comes to Cosmere related topics. Here is what I have so far.

It was recently revealed that Dragons in the Cosmere can take human form, and the kandra can do something remarkably similar. Is there any meaningful connection between the two?

Going off of that question: Can a kandra take the form of a dragon? If a kandra were to disguise as a dragon who had taken the form of a human, would they notice any significant differences in anatomy?

In both Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive, a character named Felt appears. Is this the same person?

If anybody wants to help me tune up these questions so they sound better, that'd be great.

If you were to draw a circle around the Pits of Hathsin, and another around the Well of Ascension, and gave them both a radius of the distance between the two locations, would the shard pool for Harmony be in either circle?

Edit: Is a location heavily invested because there's a shard pool there, or is a shard pool there because it's heavily invested?

I'd really like this to be answered if you wouldn't mind.

Please ask this:

Would tapping Connection strenghten the steelsight? Would range of metals avalaible increase? Would strength of the Pushes be affected?

Would you have to first store Connection while burning steel/iron to be able to tap it to strenghten Allomantic steel/ Allomantic iron ?

If you were to draw a circle around the Pits of Hathsin, and another around the Well of Ascension, and gave them both a radius of the distance between the two locations, would the shard pool for Harmony be in either circle?

Edit: Is a location heavily invested because there's a shard pool there, or is a shard pool there because it's heavily invested?

Considering how much the geography changed during Sazed's Ascension, I somehow doubt that would really be a meaningful graph, and I wonder if you could even figure out where those locations were, in fact.  The overall point I'd be quite interested in as well, though.

jW

Would tapping duraluminium improve your Internet connection?

Another question: could Awakener force more Breaths into Awakened object? Let's say normally the Awakening this object requires 100 Breaths. Is there a way to force additional 100?

Edited by Oversleep

Another question: could Awakener force more Breaths into Awakened object? Let's say normally the Awakening this object requires 100 Breaths. Is there a way to force additional 100?

I suspect that's how Nightblood was created, and I know others do too; would be interesting to get confirmation if that's possible.

jW

Considering how much the geography changed during Sazed's Ascension, I somehow doubt that would really be a meaningful graph, and I wonder if you could even figure out where those locations were, in fact. The overall point I'd be quite interested in as well, though.

jW

Actually, you can see the coastline that will eventually host Elendel on the map of the Final Empire in TFE.

Is Hoid more active around the time these stories take place, or has he been doing his thing since just after the shattering?

I mean, we know Hoid hasn't literally lived through all of the years since the shattering, but we don't know why or how. And more things seem to happen with the shards now... So... was Hoid in some kind of slumber or time compressor for a long time, waiting for things to get interesting?

I'm really curious. What makes you think this?

I'm glad you asked.

It started with the theory that the Ten Essences on Roshar are correlated with the focuses (or, how the Investiture is accessed and shaped on a planet) of the Ten Shardworlds. I believe there is a WoB saying that the connection isn't as close as philosophers once thought, or something. This made me think that the focuses for most of the Shardworlds were more wibbly-wobbly than on Scadrial, where it is clearly metal.

So, I began thinking. The magic on Sel is the most location-based of any we've seen in the Cosmere. Perhaps it has to do with your origins, where you hail from, which nations are in your blood. Then I remembered how Forgery requires natural ink, preferably squid ink or something animal in nature. Then we must not forget about the Bloodsealers, whose necromantic powers seem to function only by using human blood. Not to mention, it's possible (theorizing here) that a large portion of the silvery physical characteristics of Elantrians is a result of their silver blood (I don't remember exactly whether or not they do, I'm mainly guessing on this point.)

So, that's why I think Sel's focus is blood.

I'm glad you asked.

It started with the theory that the Ten Essences on Roshar are correlated with the focuses (or, how the Investiture is accessed and shaped on a planet) of the Ten Shardworlds. I believe there is a WoB saying that the connection isn't as close as philosophers once thought, or something. This made me think that the focuses for most of the Shardworlds were more wibbly-wobbly than on Scadrial, where it is clearly metal.

So, I began thinking. The magic on Sel is the most location-based of any we've seen in the Cosmere. Perhaps it has to do with your origins, where you hail from, which nations are in your blood. Then I remembered how Forgery requires natural ink, preferably squid ink or something animal in nature. Then we must not forget about the Bloodsealers, whose necromantic powers seem to function only by using human blood. Not to mention, it's possible (theorizing here) that a large portion of the silvery physical characteristics of Elantrians is a result of their silver blood (I don't remember exactly whether or not they do, I'm mainly guessing on this point.)

So, that's why I think Sel's focus is blood.

Huh. I guess it could be possible, seeing how Sel's different systems seem to lack a focus, especially AonDor.

I mean, yeah, but going by most other known (or suspected) focuses, they seem to be tangible. If anything, form seems Cognitive to me.

Spren are creatures of the Cognitive Realm, and they appear to have as equal a claim to Roshar's magic focus as the gemstones do (possibly a greater claim, given how Voidbinding appears to work).  

EDIT: @Stormgate: blood doesn't quite work, as it is the spiritual connections to Selish nations that inform who can cast what and where.  I'd amend that to ask if the blood focus was the case before D&D were splintered, as any non-RAFO answer would be most informative.  

Edited by Landis963

Is there an active worldhopper that has been worldhopping longer than Hoid?

If you don't count the Shardholders, I assume?  I would guess not, but an answer from Brandon could be quite illuminating (even a RAFO, maybe).

jW