The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Can we extend this to how metals in compounds react Allomanticaly? Like how Pushes and Pulls would work on rust, or if you could burn rust for the iron in it?

well we already know that bad alloys of a certain metal won't work quite right (up to and including harming/killing the person attempting to burn it) so I would guess that for allomantic purposes rust or blood are not pure enough sources of iron. I am not an expert on biochemistry, but I assume the iron in blood is bound to other elements/compounds, and isn't just floating around as pure iron molecules most of the time. same for any other metallic nutrient we need. so if a lurcher can't detect/burn iron when they swallow steel, it would stand to reason that they wouldn't detect the iron in blood or rust etc Edited by Dunkum

well we already know that bad alloys of a certain metal won't work quite right (up to and including harming/killing the person attempting to burn it) so I would guess that for allomantic purposes rust or blood are not pure enough sources of iron. I am not an expert on biochemistry, but I assume the iron in blood is bound to other elements/compounds, and isn't just floating around as pure iron molecules most of the time. same for any other metallic nutrient we need. so if a lurcher can't detect/burn iron when they swallow steel, it would stand to reason that they wouldn't detect the iron in blood or rust etc

Perhaps a strong enough Enhancement metal burn could make the metals Allomantically react, although your example of steel is a good one. You are correct about iron in blood not floating around, I don't know exactly what compounds the iron is in, but it is in hemoglobin, if that helps.

I wonder if there is a situation where a sliver of Odium can be used as a hemulargic spike

I don't think you mean Sliver. If Rayse gave up the power of Odium, he would be a Sliver, I think. I think I understand what you mean, though, and shudder to think what the attribute stolen would be.

Will Kaladin achieve escape velocity solely through usage of his own powers, or receive outside help?

It's a tricky question.

You are asking if "may Kaladin left Roshar without any Help ?" or "If may he actually achieve the Roshar's escape velocity ?"

Because the first id of course "Yes" he need need just a single Lash to above and he have just to wait. The Roshar Gravity doesn't influence him anymore therefore any speed may send him in the outer space (if the Stormlight does last).

If you want actually to know if he may reach the Roshar escape velocity probably the answer is still yes but probably he will burn (and remember that Roshar gravity is something like 0.7 of our own), maybe in a Shardplate he may survive.

On topic, does anyone know who this "lifebrother" is? Szeth calls him a vorin god, so it is most likely a herald.

We do not know to my knowledge, I'm afraid.

It shares the same construction as "Stormfather", which makes me think of it being a spren. Perhaps it refers to Cultivation and gets the gender wrong.

None of the male Heralds really fit "life" as far as we know from the Ars Arcanum. Ishar, associated with meat and flesh, is the most likely candidate in my opinion. Of the female Heralds, it could, perhaps, be Vedel of the Edgedancers (Loving/Healing, have cultivationspren).

In the context it's used (Taravangian saying he sometimes thinks the Lifebrother sent Szeth to him in an approving manner), it would also fit with Ishar, who is the Herald of Luck.

On Roshar Hoid takes care to make sure that Odium does not become aware of his presence (as if he did he would destroy Hoid).  Did Hoid take similar precautions on Scadrial to avoid the notice of Ruin?  Or did Ruin just not care about his presence?

On a related note: If a Seeker went to Roshar, would burning Bronze allow detecting the Listener Rhythms?

I think that he can't, I remember a WoB about the "Rhythms as Cosmere wide phenomen" not a Roshar-thing therefore if an Investiture-detector may detects them, He will detect from Scadrial itself without any need of world hopping.

I think that he can't, I remember a WoB about the "Rhythms as Cosmere wide phenomen" not a Roshar-thing therefore if an Investiture-detector may detects them, He will detect from Scadrial itself without any need of world hopping.

Depends on whether or not actually invoking them (e.g. singing/humming/whatever)uses investiture. if so, it seems reasonable that a seeker would be able to detect them. they might never have detecting anything on scadrial simply because no one knew about the rhythms and so no one was attuning to them.

From the Aon Kii thread: What sort of guilt do Aon Kii and the Skybreakers work off of?  Because emotional guilt seems... misguided, and it doesn't seem like there'd be a way to determine legal guilt, Realmatically.

Skybreakers apparently have a knack from this, going from that epigraph in WoR

Would Ruin have known what attributes spikes made from others Shard's substance would steal?