The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Fox just announced they are making a tv series based on an xmen character named legion, who's many powers are divided amongst his multiple personalities. what does this mean for the future of the sanderson legion tv show?

What progress has been made on the mistborn birthright video game? Is it still being made?

Will Fox, who's involved in the process of a steelheart movie, buy the rights to Calamity once it comes out?

When can we expect the white sand graphic novel?

Will there ever be mistborn legos? :)

We've learned that Nightblood was an attempt to recreate shardblades using the Nalthian magic system. Would such copies be possible via the metallic arts? The Dor? 

In Way of Kings Prime, spren were not yet part of the worldbuilding for Roshar. In that version, where did shardblades come from?

Since we now know that having investiture multiple sources grants a bonus effect (I'm calling it a perk), if someone has 3 forms of investiture, would they get a perk from each different pair of investitures, or just one for all 3? How many perks does Hoid have?

does saze have perk to?

Regular Sazed literally only had one ability. It did 16+ different things but it's still one ability.

I'm assuming that he means Harmony. Because having more than 1 system of Investiture grants a perk and now that Harmony has 2 Shards ( which are kinda just 2 different Investiture systems ), does that mean that Harmony gets a perk?

Hi,

I feel like such an obnoxious jerk for even asking this question, especially as my first post here, but I just can't let it go.  (By the way, huge fan, have been for years.)

I've just re-read the original Mistborn trilogy, and now I'm re-reading Alloy of Law, all to refresh my memory of details before I read Shadows of Self.  I've gotten to the scene in which Miles detonates dynamite in his own hand, and I can't shake my obsession with the idea that doing so should have instantly melted his goldminds, preventing further regeneration.  In the last hour, I've Googled the melting point of gold and the temperature of a dynamite explosion enough to get myself added to countless terror watchlists, all in the hope that I'll find numbers to assuage my waxing anxiety, but according to this book about mining, "the latent heat of fusion of gold is 163 calories.  In the case of most metals the latent heat of fusion is about one-third the heat required to raise the metal from absolute zero ... to its melting-point."  Further, according to the Engineering and Mining Journal, Volume 93, "with the dynamite the heat produced is about 1500 cal. per kg."

(Please don't hate me Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Sanderson fans.)

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief here if that's the only way to move on with my life, but I'd rather either learn I've misunderstood the situation or get an official ruling on the aberrant nature of Scadrial's thermodynamics.

Now I'm going to go breathe into a paper bag.

Thanks,

Maldis

Since we now know that having investiture multiple sources grants a bonus effect (I'm calling it a perk), if someone has 3 forms of investiture, would they get a perk from each different pair of investitures, or just one for all 3? How many perks does Hoid have?

not sure we 100% know this although (SoS spoiler, sort of):

It is speculated by the Ars Arcanum author in the SoS Ars Arcanum

at any rate, assuming it is true, is Wax's ability to push in a general bubble around himself an instance of such a perk?

aside: @Maldis

it is possible that melting the gold would not stop any further regeneration. I would have to double check for ferruchemy, but for hemalurgy, melting and recasting the metal does not remove the charge. and melted gold is still gold.

Did Hoid help to construct the weapon to oppose Adonalsium?

Are the symbols used for certain magic systems (ex: Metallic Arts, Surgebindings) the "official" Cosmere symbols for each or merely the "official" symbols used for them on their specific planet? (I know that slight changes such as symbols deviating a bit from Era 1 to Era 2 are to show that times are a changing so I'm leaning towards it probably being the second option.)

Do Shards have any official symbols?

Does Adonalsium have a symbol?

Is there an undisclosed Fourth Realm beyond the three noted realms that the God Beyond resides at/in?

I've just re-read the original Mistborn trilogy, and now I'm re-reading Alloy of Law, all to refresh my memory of details before I read Shadows of Self.  I've gotten to the scene in which Miles detonates dynamite in his own hand, and I can't shake my obsession with the idea that doing so should have instantly melted his goldminds, preventing further regeneration.  In the last hour, I've Googled the melting point of gold and the temperature of a dynamite explosion enough to get myself added to countless terror watchlists, all in the hope that I'll find numbers to assuage my waxing anxiety, but according to this book about mining, "the latent heat of fusion of gold is 163 calories.  In the case of most metals the latent heat of fusion is about one-third the heat required to raise the metal from absolute zero ... to its melting-point."  Further, according to the Engineering and Mining Journal, Volume 93, "with the dynamite the heat produced is about 1500 cal. per kg."

Welcome to the forums!

Just because dynamite produces that much heat does not mean it will all end up in the metalmind. It will heat up the air, Miles' body, and only a small portion of the blast will even be directed such that it could end up heating up his metalminds - let alone the metalminds Miles has hidden inside his body or on his feet. Even then, the metalminds will not be evenly heated - some portion of them might become molten, but I doubt the entire metalmind will.

You may be confused on your numbers on gold - if you don't know, latent heat is measured in energy per mass. Miles almost certainly had more than 1kg of gold on him, so the amount of energy needed to turn his metalminds molten will be greater than 163 calories.

Even if the metalminds were melted, Miles should still be able to tap from them. And they would cool in short order. (Feruchemical gold healing, unless I'm mistaken, keeps your body heat at a constant value if you tap enough of it - Miles would act as a heatsink and cool his metalminds.)

As well, I doubt Miles blew up a kilogram worth of dynamite.

A nuclear bomb exploding on top of Miles would be dangerous. A little bit of dynamite does not seem to be enough.

I do not think you need to be worried here.

Edited by Moogle

If Wayne were to impersonate Hoid, how would he describe his accent/thoughts?

At the time of SoS, is Harmony in communication with any other Shards? Can he or would he reach out to other Shards for help or information?

Who is the first character we have met, aside from Hoid and the Shards (Ati, Leras, etc.), who is not on their planet of origin? (Since this is probably a RAFO, alternate would be, "What is the earliest book in which we meet...")

Of the characters that we have met, who would Hoid least like to run into?

What does Marsh do in his downtime? Surely a man gets bored after a couple hundred years.

A lot of the energy also probably got used to destroy his body, which is constantly growing back.

It's really a question of how much energy was released, and whether it was sufficient to damage his body enough to expose the gold to whatever energy was left, thereby melting and scattering the gold and then separating enough of the gold from what was left of his body to leave him without enough healing mojo to recover (which raises several other interesting questions: If melting down hemalurgic and feruchemical metals doesn't reduce their charge, what happens when a piece of humalurgic or feruchemical metal is subdivided into several parts?  Is the charge distributed in proportion to the quantity of metal in each fragment?  Is it lost?  Is part of it lost?  If so, does the amount lost vary depending on how the metal is split?  What if the metal is cut with a shardblade?  And with a coppermind, would different pieces of knowledge be distributed amongst the fragments, or would the same knowledge exist in every fragment, but dimmed to some degree?).

We know Bloodmakers aren't immune to heat damage.  Wayne loses a layer of skin off his back in an explosion.  What I find convincing in @Moogle's comment is the suggestion that there wasn't enough dynamite to produce the heat to finish Miles off.  This is supported by the fact that after the detonation, his pants are completely intact.  That's a tiny blast radius.

It's really a question of how much energy was released, and whether it was sufficient to damage his body enough to expose the gold to whatever energy was left, thereby melting and scattering the gold and then separating enough of the gold from what was left of his body to leave him without enough healing mojo to recover (which raises several other interesting questions: If melting down hemalurgic and feruchemical metals doesn't reduce their charge, what happens when a piece of humalurgic or feruchemical metal is subdivided into several parts?  Is the charge distributed in proportion to the quantity of metal in each fragment?  Is it lost?  Is part of it lost?  If so, does the amount lost vary depending on how the metal is split?  What if the metal is cut with a shardblade?  And with a coppermind, would different pieces of knowledge be distributed amongst the fragments, or would the same knowledge exist in every fragment, but dimmed to some degree?).

Can't answer most of these (and the Coppermind and shardblade ones are really interesting) but for hemalury, we actually have an example of a spike being broken apart and still retaining a charge: Wax's earring.  I don't know how much charge is there, but it is enough to qualify as a hemalurgical spike and allow Harmony to talk to him (like Ruin used to do in the original Mistborn, but less insane), and we have WoB that it was an inquisitor spike that was melted down

Edited by Dunkum

We know Bloodmakers aren't immune to heat damage.  Wayne loses a layer of skin off his back in an explosion.  What I find convincing in @Moogle's comment is the suggestion that there wasn't enough dynamite to produce the heat to finish Miles off.  This is supported by the fact that after the detonation, his pants are completely intact.  That's a tiny blast radius.

The status of the body is meaningless with Feruchemical Gold (or also the other form of Healing), if he had enough Healing power Miles regenerates himself. Also if somebody decapitated him. The only thing that Miles needed is to to have access to the healing (tapping from his goldmind or burning the goldmind in his stomach) and He will be fine.

The status of the body is meaningless with Feruchemical Gold (or also the other form of Healing), if he had enough Healing power Miles regenerates himself. Also if somebody decapitated him. The only thing that Miles needed is to to have access to the healing (tapping from his goldmind or burning the goldmind in his stomach) and He will be fine.

The status of the body isn't entirely meaningless and access to his gold isn't quite the only thing he needs.  Miles had to forcefully remove his mask when Wax shot him in the eye, because the cloth that was stuck in his eye was preventing it from healing.  Since we were considering the potential of Miles' body to protect his gold from damage that would separate it from his body, by insulating it from heat or absorbing its excess heat, his body's ability to withstand heat is relevant.  My point here was just that we know his body can't absorb limitless heat with impunity.  But all that is moot, since we have reasonable evidence that the heat source couldn't have produced enough heat to break contact between his whole body and all of the gold embedded in it.

Can Plastic be awakened with enough breaths? Can plastic be soulcast?

I suppose that there is any problem to soulcast plastic.

About the Awekening the plastic probably is a little easier than metal and stone to Awakened because come from something (long time ago) live.

Would an aluminum blade cut a shade?

The Shade seems to be something like Cognitive beins and the Shardblade cut in the Spiritual's Realm therefore I don't think that a Shardblade could cut a Shade.

What would happen to Nightblood if he consumed a Divine Breath?

Could Nightblood leak out enough of the black smoke investiture to lose his status as an Awakened Object?

If Nightblood had been created with more Breaths, would he have a better ability to interpret evil?

Is it possible to use a Basic Lashing to lash something to a point near you, and have the object hover there or orbit around the point?

What happens if a Shard decides to invest half their investiture into someone else? Will that person ascend? Will the Shard descend? Will the invested person become an avatar of the Shard, under its control/influence?