The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

If someone asks him about the life-size Aon Rao question, They could use the Teoish peninsula as perhaps a clarifying point, as that is the best candidate for "what lies in" the northern circle of a "life-size" Aon Rao.  (It also inspired both the question and my "Mapping features onto Aons" thread.)

I got RAFO'd (hugely) on the whole Kelsier/Hoid animosity in the AMA after finding a WoB on TL

One i'm going to ask is; Did the Jindoeese separation from MaiPon have any link to Aona and Skai's death? 

Or Is there a gemstone inside the Moon Sceptre of particular interest to Hoid?

If Harmony was so inclined could he create an object that grants a person access to the Metallic arts?

Would that object make the person a Mistborn or a Misting ( or the equivalent Feruchemist, )? Or would it be at Harmony's discretion?

I'm assuming that the one Art that can't be given is Hemalurgy. 

Edited by SmurfAquamarineBodies

Hemalurgy isn't genetic, so that bit is clearly true.

As for making Mistborn . . . lerasium exists. For mistings, lerasium alloys exist. Harmony being Harmony he is probably never inclined to do so, but he could.

For feruchemy, well that's the eternal mystery isn't it? Why do the Terris even have it?

Were Terrismen transported to Scadrial from Yolen (along with Leras/Ati) after the Shattering of Adonalsium, in a similar fashion to the Rosharian's exile from the "Tranquiline Halls"?

(In our community it is understood that allomancy is distinctly Preservation, hemalurgy Ruin, and feruchemy is considered a balance of both. But what if Feruchemy was one of, if not the only, original power(s) of Adonalsium (which was a perfect balance of all 16 Shards), which may explain why both Hoid and the Terrisman possess this ability, as well as the reason for why Hoid is so efficient with all magic systems.)

It has been stated by the Hero of Ages, in-universe, that feruchemy is of both; it's not simply something people believe.

Also, it's explained to us in-universe, I believe by Ruin, that for a time there was no sapient life on the planet, so the terris could not have come from Yolen with them. The Hero tells us they made life "in a form in which they've seen".

I would be surprised, but it's possible, that they made life on Scadrial but then also brought some Terris from somewhere else.

I have some questions

Will we ever see Galivar's assassination from Galivar's perspective?

Brandon has said that there are three races on Yolen. We know humans are one of them, and presumably dragons as well, but what is the third race?

Off shoot of the previous question, was Rayse human?

If an Elantran was wielding nightblood, would they have to be continusly drawing aons? would a jindo peorson need to do chay shan?

what would happen if an awakened object was soulcast into crystal or something? would they still be awakened?

can you a awaken a liquid, eg blood? if so, can you awaken soulcast blood?  

Surgebinding isn't genetic but Honor made Honorblades. 

So that statement makes little sense to me. Me assuming it couldn't be done was because Ruin didn't do it.

I'm not sure we know surgebinding isn't genetic. We've got at least three Kholins who are Radiants, with two more that have pervasive rumors. I suspect if there's a genetic component, it's more of a predisposition than a guarantee, but there may well be some genetics involved.

As for the Honorblades, they aren't the only source of Surgebinding either.

jW

I'm not sure we know surgebinding isn't genetic. We've got at least three Kholins who are Radiants, with two more that have pervasive rumors.

Don't forget the Davars; Taravangian wondered if Shallan learned Surgebinding from her brother, so he at least suspects one of them could be a Radiant. And Kaladin's family; Tien clearly exhibited Lightweaver tendencies before he died. When Shallan does her trick to provide 'spiritual sustenance' to Kaladin when he's feeling blue, he expressly comments that it feels exactly like what Tien used to do.

For that matter, how certain are we that hemalurgy isn't genetic.  specifically, I mean that do we know that just anyone can charge a spike?  I assume just about anyone can, but at the very least it is possible that one has to be from Scadrial to do it (or have a connection to it or whatever.  We've seen this with other types of investiture), which means that ostensibly it makes sense to wonder if there is something Harmony can do to create that.

also, for surgebinding running in families, I think it might be more psychological than genetic.  the same family is going to have a lot of the same experiences, and presumably some similar philosophies learned from parents and grandparents, all of which might mean that where one family member is likely to become a radiant, others generally are as well.

Surgebinding technically does come from something bonded to your spiritweb though, with damage to that spiritweb as a prerequisite for the spren variant. Having that occur grants you the ability to infuse and manipulate stormlight. It's at least related to spiritual genetics.

Hemalurgy is literally just the act of stabbing someone with metal in the right place, then stabbing that metal into someone else in the right place. There is nothing to grant. You either know how to do it or you don't.

Surgebinding technically does come from something bonded to your spiritweb though, with damage to that spiritweb as a prerequisite for the spren variant. Having that occur grants you the ability to infuse and manipulate stormlight. It's at least related to spiritual genetics.

But everything has a Spiritweb, I'm assuming that even inanimate objects do because of Nightblood.

So everything is at least related to Spiritual genetics, making Spiritual genetics somewhat irrelevant to the topic.

Question. Surgebinding, as we know it, exists because Spren used the Honorblades as a template. So if the Honorblades never existed would Surgebinding have ever been discovered? 

Question. Surgebinding, as we know it, exists because Spren used the Honorblades as a template. So if the Honorblades never existed would Surgebinding have ever been discovered? 

Probably not, but we don't even know how the "radiant spren" are actually "born".

But everything has a Spiritweb, I'm assuming that even inanimate objects do because of Nightblood.

So everything is at least related to Spiritual genetics, making Spiritual genetics somewhat irrelevant to the topic.

Yeah,but how does one even spiritually grant someone the ability to stab you in the heart with a pointy bit of metal? Even babies or you neighbor's dog can do that. The only thing you can do is teach them the bind points, which takes as much divine intervention as it would to write a book. A really thick book.

Yeah,but how does one even spiritually grant someone the ability to stab you in the heart with a pointy bit of metal? Even babies or you neighbor's dog can do that. The only thing you can do is teach them the bind points, which takes as much divine intervention as it would to write a book. A really thick book.

bear in mind: not every person on Scadrial can use ferruchemy or allomancy.  Hemalurgy is different from them, but it is still magic, it still manipulates investiture.  I'd pose that, in theory, it is possible that a person could know all of the bind points, understand exactly what they are doing, and have spikes that are perfectly pure versions of the necessary metals, and still be unable to charge them, no matter how many people they stab with them.  I'm not sure I believe it works that way, but it seems possible.  basically, I am positing that the ability to charge a spike could be (though probably isnt) genetic. 

I'm jumping in here to say: I asked and had answered 3 questions last night at the Shadows of Self release. I had other questions which were not asked because of time, but I'll post them here (both to see whether they've been asked, and to see if anyone else thinks they're worthy of asking).

Unfortunately, I was very tired at this point, and didn't get a recording or written record. So, I will be paraphrasing Brandon's answers. Perhaps these questions and the paraphrased responses will inspire further, more scientific questions, asked by people with more scientific rigor than I.

Q - Could an Allomancer or Feruchemist Burn or Feruchemically Fill molten metal? Would that affect the Investiture?
A - Something to the effect that it would be very painful and damaging, but yes, one could Burn and Fill molten metal, and yes, it would affect the Investiture.

Q - Do Highstorms manifest in Shadesmar? If so, how? A giant wall of glass beads?
A - Yes, they do manifest in Shadesmar. You will need to read to find out how.

Q - If one used Hemalurgy to give a fallen Elantrian Feruchemic gold, would they be able to Fill health?
A - (pondered for an extended period of time) No, they would not be able to Fill health.

[here I asked whether a huge reserve would appear if they had been trying to Fill health while fallen and then were restored] No, it would not stack and then suddenly appear once they were restored.

[here I began to feel I was slowing the line too much, and was trying to let Brandon move on, but the question interested him enough that he went on. The following is extremely paraphrased and my remembrance (written not too long afterward) might be affected by my tired, overwhelmed mind:] Hemalurgic spikes would do very strange things to Elantrians. You could get more from an Elantrian with a Hemalurgic spike than from most other people.

Unasked questions (Some of these I worry about being ridiculous. But science.):

1 - Can one use a multi-pronged Hemalurgic spike to simultaneously steal multiple aspects from a Mistborn/Feruchemist? (Can a single Hemalurgic spike be charged with multiple abilities? If so, can it do so with a single stabbing?)
2 - Does Burning metals actually involve heat? If so, would that heat be sufficient to create new alloys in an Allomancer's stomach? Could a Feruchemist-Allomancer use heat to create alloys in their stomach?
3 - What would happen if one burned duralumin and aluminum simultaneously? (I feel like this was asked before, but I don't recall where).
4 - If one simultaneously and equally Pushed and Pulled a metal object, horizontally, would that tension cause the object to float, in spite of gravity?
5 - If two metalminds are touching, but not fused, are they treated as one?
6 - Does Feruchemic Investiture Fill evenly through a piece of metal? or from one side to the other? or in some other way?
7 - When not already influenced by other Lashings, do downward Lashings cost more Stormlight? (since Lashings replace gravity, a downward Lashing would effectively do nothing. So, a downward Lashing would essentially count as a double Lashing).

The push applies force directly away from you to the object, while the pull does the opposite. At the horizontal starting point I presume we are working with, there is no vertical component to counteract gravity, so it starts falling. As it falls, the vertical component forces of the push and pull, by my reckoning, should actually cancel assuming equally strong burn, so there is nothing holding the object up, and it just drops. The horizontal component cancels from beginning to end, so honestly nothing should actually happen.

If you only pull though, and angle the object correctly and send it circling around you somehow, I can see it being possible to cause a sustainable orbit for a while. Until air resistance stops it.

Two perfectly controlled pushes slightly upward should be able to maintain a stationary hover until the wind again moves the object out of place. More pushes from more directions should help. Or just one vertical push/pull.

Edited by natc

I'm jumping in here to say: I asked and had answered 3 questions last night at the Shadows of Self release. I had other questions which were not asked because of time, but I'll post them here (both to see whether they've been asked, and to see if anyone else thinks they're worthy of asking).

Unfortunately, I was very tired at this point, and didn't get a recording or written record. So, I will be paraphrasing Brandon's answers. Perhaps these questions and the paraphrased responses will inspire further, more scientific questions, asked by people with more scientific rigor than I.

Q - Could an Allomancer or Feruchemist Burn or Feruchemically Fill molten metal? Would that affect the Investiture?

A - Something to the effect that it would be very painful and damaging, but yes, one could Burn and Fill molten metal, and yes, it would affect the Investiture.

Q - Do Highstorms manifest in Shadesmar? If so, how? A giant wall of glass beads?

A - Yes, they do manifest in Shadesmar. You will need to read to find out how.

Q - If one used Hemalurgy to give a fallen Elantrian Feruchemic gold, would they be able to Fill health?

A - (pondered for an extended period of time) No, they would not be able to Fill health.

[here I asked whether a huge reserve would appear if they had been trying to Fill health while fallen and then were restored] No, it would not stack and then suddenly appear once they were restored.

[here I began to feel I was slowing the line too much, and was trying to let Brandon move on, but the question interested him enough that he went on. The following is extremely paraphrased and my remembrance (written not too long afterward) might be affected by my tired, overwhelmed mind:] Hemalurgic spikes would do very strange things to Elantrians. You could get more from an Elantrian with a Hemalurgic spike than from most other people.

Thanks for posting these answers but this is Not the place to put them.  They should go in the relevant event thread in the Events and Signings forum.