The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

9. I assume you're referring to the burned-eyes/insta-death effect?

Most Invertebrates have "ganglia" which would serve a function similar to the nerve bundles inside the spinal column, so severing that with a Shardblade would likely give the Insta-death.

Well, plus from WoR:

we know from Szeth's experience that even a blade through the spine can be healed, if you get to it quickly enough, so it presumably isn't quite 100% insta-kill

True. But recent WoB basically says that the extreme end of Cosmere Healing makes someone effectively immune to injury of all types... except Hemalurgy I suppose, since you could Hemalurgically remove their ability to heal.

If you cloned someone genetically Scadrian in Elantris, could they ever be an Elantrian? Could they ever be metalborn?

Well, plus from WoR:

we know from Szeth's experience that even a blade through the spine can be healed, if you get to it quickly enough, so it presumably isn't quite 100% insta-kill

My take is that it was still an instakill, it's just that there's a grace period whereby strong enough healing magic can heal someone recently dead. Honestly I'm not sure what it would take to make sure someone was killed just so utterly and totally completely that they were beyond the reach even of healing magics. Presumably the grace period is no more than a few minutes, though some stuff from the end of Hero of Ages suggests that Kelsier stuck around for a REALLY long time.

Hrm. Since something cognitive or spiritual of Kelsier is clearly still around, apparently even by Alloy of Law time, if someone found his bones and had a Regrowth fabrial and a LOT of Stormlight, could he still be revived? Is his spiritual aspect changed too much from "living viable human being" at this point?

Given what we know of the four major Shardworld and two Splinterworlds we've seen, what would be the most effective way to kill someone such that they'd beyond the reach even of healing magic? (For the sake of this pretend no Shard is either killing or reviving the person.) My money is on the Shades from Shadows for Silence. Would it help to burn the body? Is there a type of magic, or something mundane? Is there a window of time? If you just babysit the body and prevent healing magic for ten minutes, is that a guarantee of death? What if you immediately Awaken the body as a Lifeless? Is there a way to prevent it from being Returned (though that might tread into a Shard getting involved...)

Hrm. Sazed mentioned that he tried to bring Vin and Elend back, but couldn't. If he had, would they have been like Returned?

Given what we know of the four major Shardworld and two Splinterworlds we've seen, what would be the most effective way to kill someone such that they'd beyond the reach even of healing magic? (For the sake of this pretend no Shard is either killing or reviving the person.) My money is on the Shades from Shadows for Silence. Would it help to burn the body? Is there a type of magic, or something mundane? Is there a window of time? If you just babysit the body and prevent healing magic for ten minutes, is that a guarantee of death? What if you immediately Awaken the body as a Lifeless? Is there a way to prevent it from being Returned (though that might tread into a Shard getting involved...)

Hrm. Sazed mentioned that he tried to bring Vin and Elend back, but couldn't. If he had, would they have been like Returned?

I suspect these "mundane" (as in non-magical) ways would get it done, though in some cases I think it would succeed just because they're continuous and would drain all the available power.

Drop them into liquid Iridium. Their body would likely vaporize. Metalminds would melt or some even vaporize, gemstones would crack/melt/vaporize/burn.

Grind them between 2 30-ton granite blocks

Soak them in Chlorine Trifluoride ("Substance N"). Their body will burn away, along with several feet of ground they were standing on.

As for magical.

Hemalurgy their Soul until nothing useful is left (only works if the healing is Internal)

Awaken a metal robot with orders to kill

If you reforged a hermalurgic spike, would it still have a charge?

well, according to this: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=590#28

Hemalurgic power can be split among multiple spikes and reforged, but remember that the longer a spike is outside of a person, the more the power is going to decay. Things like splitting it will decay it even further.

If a metalborn dies of, let's say poisoning, is there a window of opportunity to steal his metallic traits? Seconds, minutes, hours? Does it have any connection to how long he can be dead before Regrowth could bring him back?

Could Preservation empower a metallic trait you're not currently using? We know, for example, when Elend was there at the end, Vin gave him the power of the eight basic metals, and he burned them. Did he have the option to not?

If Clubs, for example, were simply walking along the street, could whoever had Preservation's power provide him with the power of copper, and turn it on, even if Clubs didn't deliberately choose to?

It's been said that tin helps you see through the mist because the mist is of Preservation and tin attunes your eyes to see through it. If you had a steel spike granting allomantic tin, then, since your power is now granted via Ruin's power, would the mists seem even more obscure to you when you burned? Or how about just a tin spike granting eyesight?

Was Hoid on good terms with Aona/Skai?

Was Elantris (the book) Hoid's first time visiting Sel, and if not, did he ever converse with/interact with Aona/Skai?

Again, if it wasn't his first time, what connection does he have with the Enefel? Are you going to post more History of Aons?

Have we seen Hoid's 'real' appearance?

A Dysian Aimian; are they an 'experiment' by Cultivation?

Have we seen Nohadon (the author of in-book WoK) before Dalinar's vision?

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Interview: Feb 16th, 2013Viper

Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

Brandon Sanderson

That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.

Viper

So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?

Brandon Sanderson

That's correct.

Viper

Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?

Brandon Sanderson

That's very interesting, isn't it?

This WoB (and the recently necroed Worldhopping thread) gave me an interesting spark of an idea (emphasis mine)

Hypothetically speaking, if an Elantrian somehow knew what Roshar/a city of Roshar looked like (think their Cymatic resonance image that Kabsal shows Shallan) could it be possible for a ?Selian? to use this as a baseform for an Aon/Soulstamp etc.

EDIT: and do the Oathgates tune into the particular Cymatic frequency of one of the cities to transport?>

Edited by ParadoxSpren

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions, both relating to mistborn.

spoilers there.

How does Rashek, though dead, feel about the end result of vin murdering him?  She eventually took out Ruin, who he (Rashek) believed he was actively fighting against.

So how does the Lord Ruler really feel knowing that his goal was eventually accomplished and things worked out? Also, does he understand now that it could only have worked out like it did with him being out of the picture?

I bet his craziness is gone, now that he's not being pierced by metal.? He likely hates Vin still, she killed him. But is ultimately happy with things?

And the second,

Did Kelsier have a piercing somewhere?  Did he have metal breaking his skin or embeded in him?  Ruin, in order to take over, would have to remove the Lord Ruler.  Rashek was crazy, and moved Ruin's goals ahead, but he definitely would NOT have released Ruin.

Ruin would know this, so he would then work to displace him and get Vin in place to kill him.

Kelsier was super driven, more than I think he has any rational right to be, to remove the Lord Ruler.

Everyone else in the world thinks he is insane and that it won't work, even when its working.   Is this just because of a millenia of oppression? or is it how people think Vin's earing is odd though she doesn't notice it at all?

I think Kelsier had a small something in him. Maybe even enough atium dust in him from the pits and all of his open wounds in them.  So he couldnt burn it, but he could be influenced and driven by Ruin to achieve Ruin's goal.

Also, the 11th metal. Sazed states that the body of the keepers searches for where the rumor came from or whoever knew anything more to add to their knowledge. No one found anything. Did the knowledge manage to exists in a father to son manner and then the last bearer of the knowlege get killed prior to the terris people searching for him? Or was it knowledge given by ruin to kelsier FOR vin? The metal didn't help Kel at all. It gave vin the knowledge of how to kill the Lord Ruler though. So, LOTS of random small chances? Or Ruin pushing Kelsier where ruin needed him to be?

What appeared on the surface to be working toward liberation and freedom, was actually ruin working to be set free

So yeah first quiestion, and I want to know if I'm right that Kelsier was pierced.

Edited by tudyblue

Also, the 11th metal. Sazed states that the body of the keepers searches for where the rumor came from or whoever knew anything more to add to their knowledge. No one found anything. Did the knowledge manage to exists in a father to son manner and then the last bearer of the knowlege get killed prior to the terris people searching for him? Or was it knowledge given by ruin to kelsier FOR vin? The metal didn't help Kel at all. It gave vin the knowledge of how to kill the Lord Ruler though. So, LOTS of random small chances? Or Ruin pushing Kelsier where ruin needed him to be?

The answer to the 11th Metal is found in the story of the same name on Brandon's website. It is heavily implied to be Ruin that found a way to get Kelsier the metal.

I'm sure I read a WoB somewhere saying Kelsier definitely did not have a hemalurgic piercing...

Normal metal simply piercing you isn't enough; Ruin can only affect you with a hemalurgic spike. And since atium isn't really mined and doesn't come from ore, I doubt if there was any atium dust to get into wounds, though the cuts themselves did come from those crystals, so you might have a point.

Nevertheless, there was plenty of stuff around Kelsier, sending him in the right direction. From the link above, you learn that someone in Kelsier's life at one point was almost certainly a hemalurgist.

Regrowth would be useless if this was a thing.

Hence, minimal. Was thinking of a WoB in regards to the number of Orders we've seen so far at the end of WoR (4 + Lift and Jasnah) and Brandon didn't actually state if Ym was an Edgedancer/Truthwatcher (progression users) and I know from his limited POV that he sounds Truthwatcher-y but the way he worded the WoB, it just sounded odd. We've only seen Progression used to bring someone back to life and as a fabrial so i'm just curious

For somebody who's visited the old magic, and gained their curse and boon, does something about the process or whatever make the two distinct? Would it be possible for somebody to think of the curse as the boon and vice-versa? 

Edit: spelling

Edited by Emerald101

Posted this as a thread before realizing it should prolly just be a question here...

TenSoon is a horse when he sees the mists flow through the skies as Vin ascends. Hours later, he's a wolfhound again, massing less than a human. Where did all the extra flesh go? Did he have to dissolve it away in acid or could he just shapeshift and pinch off a bubble of flesh and leave it behind?

... Because that's how you get ants.