The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

VindicationKnight, WoA page 212 says

And now question 22 for my list: When I was looking for that quote above, I came across the following:

Any ideas on why ferruchemically tapping a tinmind reduces peripheral vision? Would the same happen with allomantic tin? Does Spook have deep tunnel vision only a few degrees wide?

And one last question to add to my list. This came up on the "Bendalloy aging" thread on the mistborn board:

23. Does the process that prevents light from redshifting and dimming in a time bubble also affect ionizing radiation? Are radiation levels lower than ambient inside a bendalloy bubble, or are they the same as outside the bubble?

And, actually, yet another:

24. When Vasher is suppressing his Divine Breath, why doesn't he instantly skeletonize a la the Lord Ruler? Is he still drawing some benefits from the suppressed breath? If a non-Returned Awakener lived 200 years at the Fifth Heightening, and then gave up all her breaths, would she experience Lord-Rulerlian insta-skeletonization?

NATC, I'm not sure if I understand your scenario. What gives the blades the kinetic energy to shoot forward, instead of falling to the ground when they're summoned? Why not just summon them already embedded in your opponent's liver, and skip the whole swordfighting/ swordshooting thing altogether?

That said, I could swear I've seen a WoB on a similar question, and it was RAFO'd.

There's this thing called falling vertically. We're not shooting them horizontally here.

Summoning them into people just doesn't look as badchull.

It's incredibly difficult to keep a Shardblade in existence when it's not touching your hand. Adolin is one of the best Blade bearers there is, and he can barely manage. Apart from the idea that I just don't find it likely, there's barely anyone who would have the capacity to do this, anyway.

If it were possible, wouldn't Adolin have been trying that, instead of summoning and then throwing his Blade?

Throwing still works if spammy enough.

The idea is more of a specific character reference than anything meant to be practical. 10 honorblades is absurd anyway.

That anime/visual novel leaves an impact on your imagination when it comes to bizarre uses for swords.

It's incredibly difficult to keep a Shardblade in existence when it's not touching your hand. Adolin is one of the best Blade bearers there is, and he can barely manage. Apart from the idea that I just don't find it likely, there's barely anyone who would have the capacity to do this, anyway.

If it were possible, wouldn't Adolin have been trying that, instead of summoning and then throwing his Blade?

It's something most Shardbearers seem to be able to do fairly easily, we see pretty much all of them are capable of putting their Blade down or lending it to someone without issue. Adolin's difficulties post Szeth were unusual and a result of his own emotional turmoil and distraction not indicative of his usual performance.

"I can smell things happening one hundred yards away, but not five feet to my left!"

Sounds like a very useful skill, employable in all sorts of social situations. Friend can't cook? Feruchemy! Coworker doesn't shower? Feruchemy! 

(Although this would be mostly indistinguishable from filling a tinmind, so really nothing special.)

Sounds like a very useful skill, employable in all sorts of social situations. Friend can't cook? Feruchemy! Coworker doesn't shower? Feruchemy!

(Although this would be mostly indistinguishable from filling a tinmind, so really nothing special.)

You can really focus on doing something without noticing anything else though.

Want to win staring contest? Feruchemy!

Though now that we bring it up peripheral vision isn't really as accurate as the bit right in front of you. Maybe feruchemical tin-o-vision only looks fuzzy on the sides because the center is just that clear? Plus Sazed isn't really a warrior (as repeated so much that you gotta wonder how people miss the obvious implications) and lacks that survival-paranoia that might make him pay attention more instead of going all tunnel vision when zooming.

In the fight between Kaladin and Szeth we see Kaladin summon Syl directly into Szeth's shoulder.

A shield was in Kaldin's hand a split second later, and he slammed away the attacks. Syl shattered even as he did so, forming back into a sword as Kaladin thrust forward with empty hands. The sword appeared, and the weapon bit deeply into Szeth's shoulder

-WoR, Hardback first edition, pg. 1035

Granted that's a living spren as opposed to a dead sprenblade, but still.

Edit: spacing

Edited by Emerald101

In the fight between Kaladin and Szeth we see Kaladin summon Syl directly into Szeth's shoulder.

-WoR, Hardback first edition, pg. 1035

Granted that's a living spren as opposed to a dead sprenblade, but still.

Edit: spacing

Shallen does something similar on her way to the plains, I haven't got my copy of the book atm or I'd find the quote but it's when she's conning the deserters. Summons her Blade right into someones spine, useful as an assassination technique but too slow for a dead Bade in combat.

Edited by VindicationKnight

Throwing still works if spammy enough.

The idea is more of a specific character reference than anything meant to be practical. 10 honorblades is absurd anyway.

That anime/visual novel leaves an impact on your imagination when it comes to bizarre uses for swords.

Ah but given the fact that Honourblades don't disappear when dropped, you could throw/summon it all you want...like a boomerang....a very sharp, overpowered, soul-severing, Stormlight-gulping, Honorblade-shaped boomerang...this makes for an interesting use of a live spren, like Lift and her 'Shardfork' :o ?Shardarang?  :blink:

Ah but given the fact that Honourblades don't disappear when dropped, you could throw/summon it all you want...like a boomerang....a very sharp, overpowered, soul-severing, Stormlight-gulping, Honorblade-shaped boomerang...this makes for an interesting use of a live spren, like Lift and her 'Shardfork' :o ?Shardarang?  :blink:

Do we know that they don't? Is there an example of someone dropping an honorblade we know they are bound to and it doesn't disappear?

Also, my own question. Pewter burns faster than tin. If I were compounding strength, would I compound it faster than I compound senses?

Do we know that they don't? Is there an example of someone dropping an honorblade we know they are bound to and it doesn't disappear?

Also, my own question. Pewter burns faster than tin. If I were compounding strength, would I compound it faster than I compound senses?

Only from WoBs, don't think so in-book but i'm due a re-read anyway so I'll see if i can find any examples that say if Szeth dropped his.

There's a WoB saying that Honorblades don't disappear when dropped?

two links; (both referring to the same WoB)

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6956-my-signing-questions/page-4#entry115299

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6712-szeth-had-an-honorbladeor-did-he-spoilers/page-3

Another Hoid question but less RAFO material. In light of recently reading a WoB about Hoid and Kelsier not getting along, I'm wondering what may have happened between them to cause such animosity and if Hoid perhaps knows of Kelsier's current status? Seeing as he hasn't actually consumed his Lerasium bead (WoB hint), how does Hoid access Allomancy?

Given that the Cryptic's Symbol Heads have been confirmed that they aren't glyphs (but we would recognise them), are they in another of the main series?

Who might want to look for Vasher, Cosmere-wise that is also a Worldhopper (or has become a Worldhopper)?

Final EDIT: Has Hoid ever Killed anyone with Wit?

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Straff tells Zane he's buried a cache of atium where only he knows. Shortly thereafter, he dies. Did Straff retrieve it, was he lying, did Ruin find it and metabolize back a tiny bit of his own power, did Harmony ultimately find it, or is there a little bit more atium left in the world than we realize?

Zane comments of his spike that he's "always" had it. And he talks of being given his Mistcloak when he Snapped, as though that was a day he'd remember (and not, like, his birth). How long has he had the spike? Did he have it before he Snapped? Did he have the power of steel before he got all the others?

1. Can copper hide you from an Awakener's life sense?

Do larger masses take longer to soulcast?

Could you tell us the max mass that can be soulcasted alone?

Could you tell us the range on Jasnah's soulcasting and her rate of fire?

Shardplate's Investiture makes effecting it with magic much harder than a normal object. Does this protection extend to the person inside in the case of magics like Soothing or Rioting?

Can you use Forgery to enhance or diminsh a persons intelligence?

If so could you use it to uplift a non-sentient animal to human levels of intelligence?

If a person in the Cosmere built a fully sentient and sapient robot would that robot have a soul? How would it interact with Shardblades?

What effect do Shardblades have on living creatures that lack a spine such as invertebrates?

Did Elend know about his half siblings by the time of his death? What did he think about them?

Did Straff Venture have any loved ones or was he truly as sociopathic as he seemed?

Did any of Tindylwinds daughter's survive past the end of the series? Did Sazed ever meet any of them, either before or after his Ascension?

If having Hemalurgic spikes makes you more violent and prone to homicidal urges did this have a noticeable effect on Vin?

Do the Heralds have some form of mental enhancement to help them withstand their tortures, like Ten Soon had with the Blessing of Presence? 

9. We've seen several interactions between presumably-invertebrate chasmfiends and shardblades.  What specifically do you want to know?

10. Your signature-line quote is from latish on in HoA, and refers to "my brother" singular, so we know he only knew about Zane at that point.  I don't get the feeling that Elend would have had much time to learn about his other brothers before dying.

Edited by ecohansen

9. We've seen several interactions between presumably-invertebrate chasmfiends and shardblades.  What specifically do you want to know?

10. Your signature-line quote is from latish on in HoA, and refers to "my brother" singular, so we know he only knew about Zane at that point.  I don't get the feeling that Elend would have had much time to learn about his other brothers before dying.

Thanks, I guess I wanted to know what part of the body would substitute for a spine in that case, and also how it would effect spirit creatures like a Shade.

As for the other question...I can't believe I missed that, that's embarrassing  :wacko: This is what happens when you write down whatever question comes to mind...

Some questions I've had through my MB readthrough-

1. Can bronze detect someone using feruchemy? I'd imagine not, since they're only internally manipulating properties instead of influencing the outside world. Except for maybe luck or connection or something like that. Maybe that could be detected?

2. What would've happened if Kelsier and the group had found and recruited Zane instead of Vin? 

3. Why did OreSeur take up the contract to overthrow TLR? I know he's said that he's got some of this in his head, and as a possible story, but I'd like to hear more of it from him.

4. Did the Ministry know about Duralumin? (This one almost certanly has an answer).

It seems to me that a MB with a nicrosil metalmind (which stores Investiture) would make a insta-TLR, which would be very very scary. 

EDIT- Did TLR control the Inquisitors in the same way that he controlled the Koloss? Or were they loyal to him for more ordinary reasons? If TLR did control them through Allomancy, how did Marsh break free? Was he just too early, and TLR hadn't corralled him yet? Or did Ruin help him to break free? 

Are the pits that Harmony protected still known to be around in Elendel? Or are they believed to have collapsed/fallen into disrepair/filled in? (Because who knows if they actually are, I just want to know what's believed).

Huh. The Canzi (pg 42 HoA) sound a lot like Yim's religion. I'll have to look more into it later...

Some questions I've had through my MB readthrough-

1. Can bronze detect someone using feruchemy? I'd imagine not, since they're only internally manipulating properties instead of influencing the outside world. Except for maybe luck or connection or something like that. Maybe that could be detected?

2. What would've happened if Kelsier and the group had found and recruited Zane instead of Vin? 

3. Why did OreSeur take up the contract to overthrow TLR? I know he's said that he's got some of this in his head, and as a possible story, but I'd like to hear more of it from him.

4. Did the Ministry know about Duralumin? (This one almost certanly has an answer).

It seems to me that a MB with a nicrosil metalmind (which stores Investiture) would make a insta-TLR, which would be very very scary. 

For 1. Apparently it could but is very difficult and need you to know how.

For 3. they say why in HoA, Kelsier payed well and  they thought he would fail like everyone else had.

9. I assume you're referring to the burned-eyes/insta-death effect?

Most Invertebrates have "ganglia" which would serve a function similar to the nerve bundles inside the spinal column, so severing that with a Shardblade would likely give the Insta-death.

Listeners operate in male/female (or malen/femalen) pairs to accomplish tasks. Due to the division of masculine and feminine arts, so do Vorin. Is there a connection there?

EDIT- Did TLR control the Inquisitors in the same way that he controlled the Koloss? Or were they loyal to him for more ordinary reasons? If TLR did control them through Allomancy, how did Marsh break free? Was he just too early, and TLR hadn't corralled him yet? Or did Ruin help him to break free? 

Are the pits that Harmony protected still known to be around in Elendel? Or are they believed to have collapsed/fallen into disrepair/filled in? (Because who knows if they actually are, I just want to know what's believed).

2: Zane was under Straff's thumb, so I'm not sure how Kelsier could possibly have recruited him away? We know Zane loved his father a lot. Vin joined the crew as a mixture of, teach me about my powers, and literally a lack of other options. Zane had other options, and he had people teaching him allomancy. Why would he have joined Kelsier?

4: Hrm. Apparently not. I thought it had been one of the metals mentioned in the caches, but it wasn't. It's possible they knew of it and didn't say anything, but that seems unlikely. Also, it turns out to be a not-uncommon alloy of aluminum, which they did know of, and Rashek could have learned it was viable just by touching it and trying to use it feruchemically. So, they seem not to have known of it, but I don't see how that could be.

The Lord Ruler presumably, then, did not choose to directly control them. I can think of reasons he wouldn't. Among other things, he was arrogant. When Marsh did betray him, he got angry, screaming about how he had made Marsh dominant. To his mind, he'd given Marsh this amazing gift, and thereby deserved loyalty. He couldn't understand that someone would want something more than power.

I assume the caches still exist? Except for the Pits, where the terris were with the remnants of Luthadel's population, they were all chosen to be a geologically stable as possible, to survive the literal destruction of the world. They would all now be located at the Field of Rebirth in Elendel. Unless deliberately destroyed, it would take a cataclysmic event (or direct Shardic intervention) to destroy them. Also there's apparently a museum there with relics from the World of Ash, so presumably effort would have been made to maintain the caverns for historical reasons if nothing else.

Vindication,  from your earlier set of questions, I just found a partial answer to the other half of the Koloss question.

AoL p. 170

[Tarson, who is Koloss-blooded] was squat and tough, but not very tall. He was only in his twenties--like all Koloss-blooded, he would continue growing taller throughout his life.