The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

From what we've seen, Investiture never breaks "normal" physics. Grabs hold of them and twists them into a balloon animal, yes, but never breaks them.

That's not the point of the question though. I was wondering if the Cosmere has it's own special investiture-related laws of physics in addition to all (or most) of the ones we have, and what some of those laws might be.

If someone, say from the Dark Alley, were to attempt (foolishly, with hilarious results) to spike Hoid, what kind of spike would be the result, if any at all?

Could any planetary resource focus e.g. Roshar's gems as a hemalurgical spike or is it only limited to metals? Would the results be the same if this isn't the case?

In terms of Awakening Research, in different fields and the like, how far would you say Hallandren has come in terms of Awakening development and knowledge?  In the case of not far at all, Is there any particular or main reason as to why it has slowed down so much?

Would you say that all the Knights Radiant are an equal blend of the Rosharan Shards power or are they all a mixed percentage? (RAFO bait)

In terms of combat potential, how dangerous (or crazy) would Hoid be in a fight?

Are the two Origins in Roshar's seas similar to shardpools?

What would the cognitive aspects of Hoid/Stormfather/Nightwatcher look like?

When first Vo first Returned, was he near to an area heavily invested by Endowment?

If you could combine any two surges to form your own Order, what would they be and why?

so many more questions *_*

Edited by ParadoxSpren

If someone, say from the Dark Alley, were to attempt (foolishly, with hilarious results) to spike Hoid, what kind of spike would be the result, if any at all?

You have to specifically choose what you're spiking when you spike someone. Mistborn can only be spiked for one of their powers, for example.

Could any planetary resource focus e.g. Roshar's gems as a hemalurgical spike or is it only limited to metals? Would the results be the same if this isn't the case?

RAFO'd before. (Many times, actually.)

Would you say that all the Knights Radiant are an equal blend of the Rosharan Shards power or are they all a mixed percentage? (RAFO bait)

KR spren are a mix. Some are more Honor, some more Cultivation.

In terms of combat potential, how dangerous (or crazy) would Hoid be in a fight?

He's very much up there. He would be very very hard to kill, but on the other hand he wouldn't be killing other people.

If you could combine any two surges to form your own Order, what would they be and why?

He's said he'd like to be a Bondsmith, so take that how you will. (A long time ago, he also mentioned he wouldn't mind being a Windrunner, but I can't find that.) This doesn't quite answer the question, but it should give you an idea.

You have to specifically choose what you're spiking when you spike someone. Mistborn can only be spiked for one of their powers, for example.

RAFO'd before. (Many times, actually.)

KR spren are a mix. Some are more Honor, some more Cultivation.

He's very much up there. He would be very very hard to kill, but on the other hand he wouldn't be killing other people.

He's said he'd like to be a Bondsmith, so take that how you will. (A long time ago, he also mentioned he wouldn't mind being a Windrunner, but I can't find that.) This doesn't quite answer the question, but it should give you an idea.

I knew that, was just curious, given Hoid's very different/altered 'alien' nature, if Hemalurgy would even work at all would be interesting to know

Hadn't seen it brought up about the foci but haven't trawled for WoB's in ages, thanks ^^

Also worked out some were a mix, but after recalling the H/C/O topic, was wondering if all the Nahel spren were a mix or if a few were pure Honor/Cultivation, couldn't remember if it had been answered

Hmm, i knew he was practically immortal but not that he's not very good at killing due to past events...intriguing line of thought there

Flying Bondsmith? Makes for an interesting pub name o.O

Thanks Moogle!

EDIT: On another note,

A question of Hoid's altered nature, did he do it to himself, was it a natural thing (meaning did it happen over the course of his meddling) or was it done by an outside force (perhaps as a result of his meddling)

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Even mistwraiths can be spiked. If Hoid has blood hemalurgy should work.

The problem, imo, is that his soul is potentially differently constructed, which might affect bind point locations. Maybe. Might not, depending on how accurate-to-Yolen Ati and Leras made the Scadrians.

Probably another RAFO bait but...

The Recreance; we know the secret was so devastating that it caused the Knights to abandon their oaths, but was it planned beforehand in the sense that was there an agreement from both parties. Like perhaps did both Radiants and Spren agree that the bonds had to be broken despite what it would do to the spren, and perhaps the Knights did it at the spren's urging? (couldn't really find a good way to word it right)

EDIT: Man i really should prepare these in advance but i can't help it, so many questions!!

Another Hoid one: Given what we little we do know about Hoid's time-travel dilation and that he is far older (relative and real time) than an average human, does he age a lot slower than an average human on top of that as well? 

Hypothetically speaking, if the elantrians were to...say somehow replicate/rebuild the design of Elantris (+ the surrounding Aon) and incorporate it into the form a spaceship and then by happenstance, somehow miraculously infuse it with a certain degree of the Dor, would they have space travel?

What would Shadesmar on Sel actually look like if you had window looking in? (perhaps a a certain lake could be used, or not)

(RAFOEDIT: Is there/will there be, a Shard of Adonalsium roundabout the same time as the current books? Is Frost a Shard as well?)

As a result of the Recreance, did the now ex-radiants suffer any consequences/backlash personally, in the sense of were they altered physically/mentally/...splintered?

If an Aon's original assigned meaning changed over time e.g. Aon Ehe (Fire) and is eventually forgotten but becomes associated with another meaning, in this case Danger, would the original effect still remain or would it also change to reflect the new meaning?

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere---in novels, by a Word of Brandon, whathaveyou---but are there any truly no human species in the Cosmere? I know several nonhuman races have been created by humanity---koloss, kandra, so on---but what about races utterly unconnected to humanity?

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere---in novels, by a Word of Brandon, whathaveyou---but are there any truly no human species in the Cosmere? I know several nonhuman races have been created by humanity---koloss, kandra, so on---but what about races utterly unconnected to humanity?

Parshendi are non-human. Aimians as well, though they look human.

Nightblood is "alive", though since (he) can't reproduce I don't know if you'd call (him) a "race".

Edit:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#179

INTERVIEW: Sep, 2012

Cosmere Q&A - 17th Shard (Verbatim)

JAMESW

Are there non-human races on Roshar, or non-humanoid races that are sentient?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Parshendi are not human, but you probably already knew that. The two races of Aimians are not human either. There are many races of sentient spren. From there, it depends if you call something like Ryshadium sentient or not.

Edited by LabRat

Yes, Nightblood is obviously not human, but----he is the product of human magic, thus eliminating him from my question. I'm referring to truly alien sapient so, beings that may now have been significantly altered by humanity, but ultimate do not ORIGINATW with man.

Yes, Nightblood is obviously not human, but----he is the product of human magic, thus eliminating him from my question. I'm referring to truly alien sapient so, beings that may now have been significantly altered by humanity, but ultimate do not ORIGINATW with man.

Nightblood is the result of a massive amount of Investiture being shoved into an inanimate object. The fact that humans were involved was incidental, not required, so an Aimian or a Parshendi could have done the same thing without involving humans.

Awesome! Thanks you very very very much!

I know the Yolen-specific fiction is yet to set down in canonical format and thus should be considered highly protean, buuuuuut, what are the other two races on Yolen?

One of them is (probably) Dragons, I don't believe we know what the third is.

Nightblood, like Spren or Seons, is power which has become self-aware. In the case of Spren and Seons, this happened when one human, wielding a fraction of the power of God, shattered other fractions of the power of God. Not sure if you count that as a species which has evolved magically independently of humans; Rayse never set out to make Seons, it was a natural result of what he actually did do.

Nightblood, like Spren or Seons, is power which has become self-aware. In the case of Spren and Seons, this happened when one human, wielding a fraction of the power of God, shattered other fractions of the power of God. Not sure if you count that as a species which has evolved magically independently of humans; Rayse never set out to make Seons, it was a natural result of what he actually did do.

Minor nitpick: I don't believe we've had it confirmed that Rayse is human. Seems quite possible, but I believe it rather unlikely that all sixteen Shards are wielded by humans. (The lizard spoken of in Hoid's letter somewhat implies otherwise, if nothing else.)

I really should make a list (a long, long, long, long list...or even my own topic >.>) of all my questions but with recent Elantris discussion, a few things bubbled up;

Although it may be covered in the sequels and we haven't really seen the other magic systems properly, but could the other kingdoms/countries/magic foci centres do something similar to what Elantris does with the giant Aon Rao, or can only one region do it at a time? If they also can, would they have similar effects to AonDor?

Are all of Sel's magics limited by distance decay, and if so, could you list the ones we've seen in order of worst effected to least effected?

(no doubt a RAFO)

Why is it Aon Rao that causes an amplication effect on AonDor? (was this ever explained?)

Although it may be covered in the sequels and we haven't really seen the other magic systems properly, but could the other kingdoms/countries/magic foci centres do something similar to what Elantris does with the giant Aon Rao, or can only one region do it at a time? If they also can, would they have similar effects to AonDor?

Yes! Or well, similar concepts exist in other systems. At least for Forgery:

Argent: Are there power modifiers for Soulstamps like there are for AonDor?

Brandon: Yes.

Argent: Yes… Does Shai know them-- Or any of them?

Brandon: Um… Hehehehehe…

Argent: Not “has she used them”, I’m not going to go there, but does she know any of them?

Brandon: She knows more than she thinks she does.

(source)

You could probably use this and make a gigantic stamp? I'm not sure how easily you could turn that into a city. Note further that Forgers don't seem to have something like the Shaod going on, and that they can all use the magic, so making such a city probably wouldn't do too much for them individually.

Are all of Sel's magics limited by distance decay, and if so, could you list the ones we've seen in order of worst effected to least effected?

(no doubt a RAFO)

All Sel's magics are regional:

Odium's_Shard

Can magic systems from one world work in any given other?

Brandon Sanderson

For some, it will take quite a bit of work, but it's possible to get them each to work. Sel's magics are regional, and so they are going to be tough. Scadrial's magics are the easiest.

(source)

Defining 'least affected' to 'most affected' seems like an incredibly difficult task. The Investiture ratio lost would probably be similar for all the magics, but some of the magics probably have a minimum amount of power they need to function at all, where others don't, which messes with things. And the systems have differing amounts of power in the first place... Forgery, for example, is low-power, but AonDor is high-power. And what about instances where some of the things in each system drop off more than other things due to this? Sounds very much impossible to quantify cleanly. But that's just speculation...