The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Well omnidirectional gravity requires reverse lashing, which we have never seen stacked IIRC. And requires contact, so you'll tear yourself apart?

Ya but the amount of storm light needed would kill you first.

. . . I doubt stormlight is lethal. It even regenerates you.

Worst case scenario you end up ascending.

Syl speaks to Kaladin about Szeth using a "dangerous" amount of Stormlight, which suggests things work a little differently.

So, I'm not sure I agree. Brandon mentioned this:

QUESTION

If metals shape the Investiture in Allomancy, causing a Steelpush or whatever, how is it that the mists can be used to perform the same feat? What is 'shaping' the inhaled mists into a Steelpush, if there's no metal "nozzle" to do so?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Consistently through the cosmere, once you have the power in hand and it has permeated you, will becomes your nozzle. This can be seen in Warbreaker, where the power has been distributed and inhabits the people. The nozzle idea is important for Magics that are drawing power externally, as it keeps the power from overwhelming and destroying you. (Which, basically, happened to Vin at the end of the Trilogy--she got consumed by the magic. She became something new, now, so it didn't KILL her. It destroyed what she was, transformed her into something else.)

So you see magics like on Sel and Scadrial where a specific nozzle is needed--as the power source is external, at least with Allomancy. Will and intent take a backseat, though still pop up on occasion. On Nalthis (and in a lesser way, Roshar) will and intent are more important, and what you are trying to do shapes the magic more directly.

A little direct manifestation in this is found in the subtle differences between Allomancy and Feruchemy. In Allomancy, when you enhance the senses, you just get a blast of power--and all senses are enhanced, whether you want them all or not. In Feruchemy, you can be more precise, and pick a specific sense to store. The power is internal here, and therefore more limited in how much you can draw--but you can also be more precise with its manipulation.

Note that Roshar Surgebinding is a special case, as the magical symbiosis there is stronger than it is on other worlds, as much of the magic involves bits of power who have become sapient.

(source)

This suggests a Stormlight overload will similarly transform you. (Perhaps you become some sort of Cognitive entity.) Unlike the mists, you can only ever have a little Stormlight, so ascension shouldn't be possible.

worldhoppers: 

have we seen a version of shai in any books other than emperor's soul? 

have we seen a version of shallan in any books other than stormlight archive? 

and I mean, just to be greedy and reaching: 

have we seen vivienne in any books other than warbreaker? 

Edited by catrianadavar

Shards are able to see the future. Are they able to see the future of the Cosmere or only for the planet they Invested in?

It probably varies based on the number of variables they can handle?

Some shards are outright bad at it, then we've got the case of atium allomancy (and to some extent electrum) that can change the future, possibility chromium feruchemy as well. It's possibly not spacetime-transcending precognition and more ridiculously accurate forecasting.

It probably varies based on the number of variables they can handle?

Some shards are outright bad at it, then we've got the case of atium allomancy (and to some extent electrum) that can change the future, possibility chromium feruchemy as well. It's possibly not spacetime-transcending precognition and more ridiculously accurate forecasting.

There's a recent WoB which talks about the things Forgery creates being created as if the Forger actually spent time creating them. Because of this sort of thing, it does seem like spacetime-transcending precognition is a thing. The way gold Allomancy works is also indicative of such.

Edit: WoB.

Edit: Also, this might be better in a thread on its own.

Edited by Moogle

Let's say I jump from the top of a building. Could I use multiple cadmium bubbles or bendalloy bubbles in rapid succession to fall slower or faster? Are time bubbles spheres that simply intersect with the ground? Could I use the bubbles to run really fast?

Commentary on the first question: I'm not expecting that the bubbles are going to save me from the fall. All I'm expecting is that it may allow me to not hit the ground at the expected physical time. Say I'm in a race with a cannonball (and I'm indestructible). I could hit the ground faster by creating bendalloy bubbles. 

@Curiosity

I see no reason why not. Wayne uses bubbles to "teleport" across short distances absurdly fast, after all. So far as the shape of bubbles goes, I think it's kind of assumed by everyone that they're inherently spherical, though many of us (read: me) would look silly if this assumption is incorrect.

Note that in the books there is a brief "cooldown period" between when Wayne is able to cast bubbles, so you couldn't quite have a constant chain of them. Not much impact in the end, but worth knowing.

Huh, I wonder how that interaction would work.  I think in the book, Wax runs from one end to the other of the bubble, then turns it off, so he moves from one place to another quickly, but never necessarily touches the wall of the bubble.  My understanding is that the bubble falls if the creator passes through the wall, so what would that do to your momentum/velocity?  For example, If I can run at 15 m/s, in a normal frame of reference, then if I put up a bendalloy bubble that sped things up to 2x normal and ran at my max speed (15 m/s to me, 30 to an outside observer) and crashed through the wall of the bubble, how fast would I be going when I came out?

Perhaps that is the secret to FTL travel in the future Mistborn era. Because assuming you are viewing the spaceship from the outside, you see that it nears the speed of light, but can't pass it. But then an allomancer throws out a cadmium bubble and the ship is going way slower. It speeds up inside the bubble to near the speed of light, and as it leaves the bubble - poof! FTL travel.

We have (indirectly) likely already seen a high-speed exit from a time bubble by both passengers and the bubbles creator in the form of everyone falling through the floor when the butler tries to explode them, so at the very least we know nothing too too exotic happens.

Regarding the general question of what happens to the speed of objects as they leave bubbles, we've also seen in the book how Wax's bullet slowed to a crawl when it exited the bubble.

We also have this WoP on the matter:

Loss of kinetic energy

Not really. A bullet shot out of a speed bubble IS robbed of kinetic energy—not all of it, but just enough to slow it down to the speed it would have been moving at had it been fired outside the bubble in the first place.

Edited by Kurkistan

We have (indirectly) likely already seen a high-speed exit from a time bubble by both passengers and the bubbles creator in the form of everyone falling through the the butler tries to explode them, so at the very least we know nothing too too exotic happens.

Regarding the general question of what happens to the speed of objects as they leave bubbles, we've also seen in the book how Wax's bullet slowed to a crawl when it exited the bubble.

We also have this WoP on the matter:

Loss of kinetic energy

right.  I forgot about that.  OK.  so I am reading that as a bullet fired x meters from outside a bubble to outside a bubble (without passing through one), would be going the same speed as a bullet fired the same distance from inside a bubble and passing out of one, meaning from the bullets frame of reference, it never changed speed/acceleration.

By my reading/interpretation/understanding, yes, you have it right.

Aside: Thus my belief that this is where we can get FTL from: if that bullet was going half the speed of light and the bubble sped it up x4, then so far as the rest of the world is concerned that bullet passed between points A and B at two times c.

By my reading/interpretation/understanding, yes, you have it right.

Aside: Thus my belief that this is where we can get FTL from: if that bullet was going half the speed of light and the bubble sped it up x4, then so far as the rest of the world is concerned that bullet passed between points A and B at two times c.

well, unless bendalloy/cadmium bubbles are affected by special relativity

1. Does Hoid have a favorite food?

2. I've noticed that on Roshar men's food is usually spicy while women's food is mostly sweet. Are there any types of deserts that men are allowed to eat? Are there any unisex foods?

3. Do they have bacon on Roshar?

4. Will Shallan ever learn that not all birds are chickens?

5. Will we ever see multi world interaction in a book? (Besides Hoid)

6. Is it possible for shard-holders to have children?

3. Do they have bacon on Roshar?

Well they have pigs, so presumably yes.

5. Will we ever see multi world interaction in a book? (Besides Hoid)

Yes. We saw Galladon, Demoux, and REDACTED in the Purelake interlude in WoK, there's a Terriswoman (probably Demoux's crush Aslydin (who's also from the Seventeenth Shard and thus probably off-worlding to begin with)) and a kandra kicking around somewhere, etc. Not to mention that the later era books will involve space travel (as seen in Sixth of Dusk), Shardbearers will be in space at some point, etc.

Not to mention that several of the Ghostbloods we've seen have been worldhopping.

Edited by Kurkistan