The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

A partial answer to this:

Wit has already been a viewpoint character. We see his viewpoint in the epilogue.

As for whether or not we'll see him in a more major capacity, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I guess I should have clarified and said major/main viewpoint character, along the lines of what we've gotten for Kaladin.

If that does happen, it probably won't be till near the end of the series.

Edited by Mad_Scientist

Another thing I'd like to know:

Will there be a lots of scenes with Shallan and Hoid (I mean both of them at once, talking with each other), pretty, pretty please..? Also, not a question, but from what we've already seen it sems to me that they'd make a great couple (despite the biiiiig age difference). And Shallan would make a great Hoid-in-training IMHO. Much better than Sizgil. (I guess you aren't going to ask this one anyway...)

Another thing I'd like to know:

Also, not a question, but from what we've already seen it sems to me that they'd make a great couple (despite the biiiiig age difference).

[sarcasm]What, you mean the fact that when she's a small pile of bones and greatshells rule Roshar, that he'll still look like he's 75? That little age difference?[/sarcasm]

A couple of Warbreaker questions which I don't think have been answered yet.

When Vasher rescued the priest's daughter, why did she instinctively trust him and run to him?

When Vasher returned said priest's daughter to her father, how did he quiet and calm the dogs?

I'm guessing the answers to both questions are related to Vasher's status as a Returned, but we don't see any similar abilities from other Returned. But then again, we don't see the other Returned interacting with children or animals much.

<br>A couple of Warbreaker questions which I don't think have been answered yet.

When Vasher rescued the priest's daughter, why did she instinctively trust him and run to him?When Vasher returned said priest's daughter to her father, how did he quiet and calm the dogs?

I'm guessing the answers to both questions are related to Vasher's status as a Returned, but we don't see any similar abilities from other Returned. But then again, we don't see the other Returned interacting with children or animals much.

Ooh, I know this one! It's from the... annotations? Let me check.... Yep.

Chapter 49

In this chapter, we also get the first hints that children and animals like Vasher. That's another hing about his nature-though a very, very subtle one, since I haven't talked about how animals and children all like Returned. They can sense the divine Breath within him and it comforts them.

EDIT- Is Thaidakar the leader of the Ghostbloods? (let him answer, and if no, or RAFO then: ) Did Thaidakar provoke the Ghostbloods then?

Ooh, I know this one! It's from the... annotations? Let me check.... Yep.

Chapter 49

In this chapter, we also get the first hints that children and animals like Vasher. That's another hing about his nature-though a very, very subtle one, since I haven't talked about how animals and children all like Returned. They can sense the divine Breath within him and it comforts them.

Oops. I really need to re-read those annotations. I read them after I first finished the book, and have been reading the new ones when they came out, but I first read Warbreaker was a while ago, so I've forgotten many of the older ones. And I just re-read Warbreaker a few days ago and couldn't remember that the answer to that had already been confirmed.

Hey, so Brandon is answering some questions via video for those that can't attend comic-con. This is the link: http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/07/sdcc-ask-the-author-brandon-sanderson.html

But since time is limited, it would probably be prudent to only ask a few questions instead of a giant list of 50 questions that you have ever wondered.

• 2 weeks later...

How was Sazed able to talk to Vin/Elendel and know they are happy now if he hasn't been able to access the ultimate afterlife that exists beyond the 3 realms?

How is it that Nightblood, who is merely a near-sentient awakened object, was able to read minds, something a Shard-God like Ruin was unable to do?

Was Vallano, Szeth's grandfather, also a Truthless? And if not, what did he do to disgrace the Shin?

(In case anyone is wondering what the heck I'm talking about, in one of the interludes, Szeth tells someone not to call him Szeth-son-Neturo, because his father does not deserve to be sullied by association with Szeth. Yet Szeth's sectons always start out with a reference to Szeth as "Szeth-son-son-Valleno", and since those chapters are written from Szeth's viewpoint, that must be how Szeth views himself. So he doesn't have an issue with associating himself with his grandfather.)

Was Vallano, Szeth's grandfather, also a Truthless? And if not, what did he do to disgrace the Shin?

(In case anyone is wondering what the heck I'm talking about, in one of the interludes, Szeth tells someone not to call him Szeth-son-Neturo, because his father does not deserve to be sullied by association with Szeth. Yet Szeth's sectons always start out with a reference to Szeth as "Szeth-son-son-Valleno", and since those chapters are written from Szeth's viewpoint, that must be how Szeth views himself. So he doesn't have an issue with associating himself with his grandfather.)

I assumed that Szeth's grandfather is dead, so it's ok to refer to him, whereas the father is still alive. I could be way off base though.

Fell

I was playing with a thought in my head. How human are all the "people" in each of the cosmere books? We take for granted that they are all humans, but is that really true? Each species was created by a different god based on different principles. All we can really know for sure is that the gods themselves looked liked humans and likely each made of their own "people" in their own image. But does that mean that a "person" from Sel could interbreed with a "person" from Nalthis?

It also seems less likely, the more that I think of it, that people from different worlds could use one another's magic system. Allomancers can use metals because they are of Preservation and burning metals bring them even closer to Preservation. But a person from Roshar, even if he or she ate Lerasium, was never of Preservation to begin with.

If they can interbreed, would this person be able to access multiple worlds' magic systems? Or would one innate shard dominate over the other? Or would they be like a mule and be unable to breed again at all?

Edited by whynaut

• 2 weeks later...

What effects, if any, would flowing current have on metals being Ironpulled or Steelpushed? Could a Lurcher pull down a house with electrical wiring, for example?

Hmmm. I suspect that pushing and pulling are separate from electricity and magnetism entirely. They certainly aren't compatible with magnetism in any form I'm familiar with, and I'm familiar with Maxwell's equations and their macroscopic approximations.

I suspect that pushing off the wiring of a single house would end up throwing the lurcher, not affecting the house. After all, putting your full weight on the side of a house wouldn't do much to it, and pushing on all the wiring in the house would spread the force out even more broadly. You'd have to anchor yourself somehow, and even then, all you'd probably do is destroy the walls. You could probably strangle somebody at home quite effectively, though, if you were skilled with iron and steel.

Pardon me, I should have been more specific in my example. Say a Lurcher (Ironpulling) stood in the middle of a room that had electrical wiring (with current), could he pull the room - ceiling and all - down around himself? Via collapsing the walls, or some other such mechanic. By contrast, could a Coinshot (Steelpushing) make a room with electrical wiring explode, like Jason in Defending Elysium did near the end?

I suspect that your point is correct - no electromagnetic ties to Allomancy, and thus no effect - but I'd like confirmation, either from Brandon or Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this topic is getting updated today! What does that make it, slightly less than two months? This is progress.

I've labeled answers for questions that were resolved in the signing with Brandon and Peter Orullian.

How do you pronounce Szeth's name? Is Jasnah's name taken from Polish or similar language ("jasna" means "bright (female)" in Polish, but the "j" is pronounced like English "y"), or just a coincidence?

I think in the Fantasy Faction video interview there are good pronunciations from Brandon on these. I'll put the Jasnah part in, though.

And could you ask him about the symmetry in surge pictures - is it a purposeful or not? I just can't stop wandering. I don't know how to phrase it into one short question.

I'm not allowed to say much but you are onto something there. There is a logic to the glyphs.

Do you have a list of what the figures in the chapter headings mean?? I was rather sure that we had gotten a big RAFO on what they all mean.

The latest interview (the one with Brandon and Peter Orullian) confirms they are representations of the Heralds. Not what they actually look like, but they do represent the Heralds.

How human are all the "people" in each of the cosmere books? We take for granted that they are all humans, but is that really true? Each species was created by a different god based on different principles. All we can really know for sure is that the gods themselves looked liked humans and likely each made of their own "people" in their own image. But does that mean that a "person" from Sel could interbreed with a "person" from Nalthis?

It also seems less likely, the more that I think of it, that people from different worlds could use one another's magic system. Allomancers can use metals because they are of Preservation and burning metals bring them even closer to Preservation. But a person from Roshar, even if he or she ate Lerasium, was never of Preservation to begin with.

If they can interbreed, would this person be able to access multiple worlds' magic systems? Or would one innate shard dominate over the other? Or would they be like a mule and be unable to breed again at all?

Great question. I'm going to distill this down to these two:

1. How human are the humans on each world? Could a "person" from Sel interbreed with a "person" from Nalthis?

2. If they can interbreed, would this person be able to access multiple worlds' magic systems? Or would one innate shard dominate over the other? Or would they be like a mule and be unable to breed again at all?

That's all for now. If a specific theory generates a question in your mind, be sure to add it here. I may be too scatterbrained to remember to add them myself.

Speaking of which, I do have additional questions to add to the list:

Are spren Cognitive aspects? [Note to question askers: 99% certain to be RAFO'd. Do not qualify this question in any way. Let him squirm :P]

Do you have a particular, canonical term for a person who holds a Shard, other than Shardholder (which 17th Shard currently uses)? You've said that a person who holds a Shard actually becomes a Shard. We get that. But what would you call someone like Sazed?

Can Hoid travel in time?

Can Shards travel in time?

Have you done the Scribbler revisions yet, or is that something still on your plate?

Are Feruchemical stores considered to be Invested objects? If yes, Why can metalminds be Pushed and Pulled?

Is Bavadin presently located on the world of Silence Divine?

The Well of Ascension regenerates every 1024 years. Does a Shard's power always regenerate?

It's been said that if Preservation fueled Allomancy, he would be significantly weaker than Ruin. Why wasn't he weaker? Did that part of Preservation that fueled Allomancy regenerate?

If a Shard does something against its intent--like Preservation fueling Hemalurgy--would that energy the Shard used be expended?

When a drab dies, can they pass onto the Cognitive or Spiritual Realms, or are they doomed?

Are Breaths the Spiritual aspect of a person, or just a part of it?

Does being in the proximity of a Shard change ones' Spiritual DNA? For example, if a couple from Scadrial moved to Nalthis, would their child have a Breath, or would the kid still have the codes for the Metallic Arts? Or both?

What is the definition of a focus?

Are spren the focus for Surgebinding?

The list is totaled at 161 questions.