The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

New question, I know we've always assumed that it is but is the Shard Odium held by Rayse? I don't think it says any where in WoK that he does, I know it says he holds the most dangerous of all the shards but I think that if Bavadin is a shard holder it is more likely that he is Odium, it just seems to unlikely that he would reveal the biggest danger to the world so early in the series.

New question, I know we've always assumed that it is but is the Shard Odium held by Rayse? I don't think it says any where in WoK that he does, I know it says he holds the most dangerous of all the shards but I think that if Bavadin is a shard holder it is more likely that he is Odium, it just seems to unlikely that he would reveal the biggest danger to the world so early in the series.

This has been my thinking, though the general assumption has been that Odium is Rayse. I just love the idea of them taking down Odium and being all "Alright, Rayse, the jig is up!" "What? I'm not Rayse." :o

well if they find out that name they'll find it out from Hoid who knows who Odium really is. And I'm pretty sure Rayse is Odium myself.

And I bet being addressed by his original name would really piss Odium off, of course, I guess lots of things probably really piss Odium off.

• 3 weeks later...

could a hemalurgic spike steal the spiritual DNA of a person form Roshar or Sel?

That would more than likely take a different kind of metal, if at all, since the Shard's foci are different (metal for Ruin/Preservation, unknown for the others, but unlikely to be metal). It might work if there was a Ruin+[different-shard] magic, but I guess it makes it all the more unlikely since the other magic systems are not influenced by Ruin.

I totally upvoted your post for using the word foci correctly. Thank you so much for not saying "focuses". Ow. It hurt to type that.

Though I have gotten into debates over the pronunciation. It's Foh-sigh (like Sci in Science) not Foh-kai. I know people love the Focus=Foh-kus ergo Foci=Foh-kai argument, but it's wrong.

I'm getting to these posts, soon.

I totally upvoted your post for using the word foci correctly. Thank you so much for not saying "focuses". Ow. It hurt to type that.

Though I have gotten into debates over the pronunciation. It's Foh-sigh (like Sci in Science) not Foh-kai. I know people love the Focus=Foh-kus ergo Foci=Foh-kai argument, but it's wrong.

Both are acceptable, actually. I typically prefer foci, but they can both work.

It's been several years since I took Latin, but I do remember being taught that all "c"s are hard. Hence, foh-kai.

And I would agree that observing Latin plurals in English is hardly mandatory, although it does sound better.

Could Nightblood stop a Shardblade?

I've been waiting for the right moment to drop this tidbit. My cousin ran into Brandon in a bookstore once (crazy!) and asked him which of these two was more powerful. His response was that Nightblood is "several orders of magnitude more magical than a shardblade." It doesn't really answer your question, but it is definitely interesting, yes?

I've been waiting for the right moment to drop this tidbit. My cousin ran into Brandon in a bookstore once (crazy!) and asked him which of these two was more powerful. His response was that Nightblood is "several orders of magnitude more magical than a shardblade." It doesn't really answer your question, but it is definitely interesting, yes?

That... is immensely interesting. This warrants discussion.

I can see this. I mean, they created Sentinence! That has to be way cooler (and take a lot more energy) than something that merely separates connections.

I have a question.

What is the schedule for annotations? I knew it used to be a biweekly thing, but it seems to have lessened. Also, with the rush to write WoK, did you end up writing annotations for it? When will we see those?

That... is immensely interesting. This warrants discussion.

I remember when he was asked if Vasher and Vin got into a fight who would win he said Vasher would win cause Nightblood can't be pushed on by allomancy and it would give him the advantage he would need to beat her. he also said we would be seeing other types of metal that wouldnt be affected by allomancy in later books, I don't know if he meant in a later mistborn book or in a later cosmere book but it was before way of kings so I would guess that shardblade/shardplate can't be pulled or pushed if he meant a cosmere book.

Brandon has said that Shardblades are mostly immune to Pushing and Pulling (in the context of somebody asking who would win between Szeth and a Mistborn). I guess you'd need a duralumin-boosted Push or Pull to affect them.

Also Zas, Brandon has said he didn't have time to write annotations for WoK during the copyedit but he will write some when rereading it before writing Stormlight 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an interesting question. What would happen if a Kandra injested and burned Lerasium? (I would ask about Koloss, except you've said their nature has been changed). Especially since they require Hemalurgy to have sentience.