The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I've got one. And, it's not Cosmere related (for once!)

Why did OreSeur sign up for Kelsier's plan? Was he forced to because of his contract? Or did he actually want to?

Also, how do Kandra decide gender? Is it just intellectual? Or are there subtle physical differences?

The way I can think of the first one getting RAFO'd is if it's mentioned in the cursed RPG story.

Hoo boy, lots of questions to go through.

Why did Wyrn know that Hrathen would betray him, and where Djon would find him?

Wyrn, or an agent of his, can see the future. Brandon was very coy about this. I'm going to edit the "How did Wyrn see into the future?" to gain the same idea.

Did the Elantrians worship anything in secret? And why is the pathway to the lake lit by lanterns and not Aons?

The latter has been mentioned. Adding the first one, however.

2. What exactly is a Sliver, and how does it differ from Splinters? (I put this with Mistborn because the only two Slivers I know of are the Lord Ruler and Vin)

This has now been answered. See the Vericon report.

4. Has Honor been shattered? If so, are the spren the splinters?

Editing this to say "Has Honor been Splintered". FeatherWriter's "Honor is Shattered Like Adonalsium" theory is different than what you meant, I'm sure.

What's the deal with the Hierocracy?

This one is a bit too vague. Clarify it, and it'll go in. Having something this vague will surely get RAFO'd :P

18. Which characters (other than Kaladin, Dalinar, Shallan, and Szeth) will have a book focused on them?

I am fairly certain someone said there would be a Jasnah book. My memory is a little hazy on this point, however.

Are all of the Heralds, who gave up their shards still alive?

What happened to the Heralds shards?

I know you're referring to the Heralds' "Shardblades", but I'm going to make this clearer. I'm pretty sure Honorblades and Dawnshards are synonyms.

Is Odium's original world Roshar or have we not seen it yet?

Clarify for me what you mean here. In some sense, the Shards all had a common origin. Roshar is not that world of origin.

Will Susebron now have two returned Breaths after being fed Lightsong's?

Zas could whip up a quote for me, but I am positive that the process of healing consumes the divine Breath.

Is Allriane really Cett's daughter? Skaa have to have Allomancy in the past six generations to get Allomancy and Cett says that she is the first person in their family to get Allomancy for centuries.

Great question. Where did you find the six generation thing, however? You've stumped me!

Vin was able to sense both Ruin's and Preservation's presences. Is this because she was able to access Creation through both of them (so she was a part of both of their "clubs")? Or was it because her increased Seeker abilities gave her access to a broader range of Creation-energy wavelengths? Or is it simply that anyone who is paying attention and gets that close to a Shard would feel those pulses? I guess all of those add up to: how does one become "attuned to" any given Shard's drum beat?

Her enhanced Seeker power is the cause of this. It's also why she was able to hear the Well.

Brandon has said that Sazed is also blinded by metal. I feel that this is VERY significant, but I don't quite know how to form it into a proper question (or, rather, I don't know how to pull apart the ten or so questions re: the underlying theory of magic, Shardhood, and the Cosmere I have that are all bundled up in it). Thoughts?

It is indeed extremely important. I don't know all the specifics, but here's what we see. Ruin and Preservation's magics both share a focus, which is a cosmere term. AonDor and the Commands are other focuses. Judging by Ruin and Preservation's blindness to metal, this signals that focuses are deeply tied with the Shards. Since Sazed holds both Ruin and Preservation, he would be tied to both of those Shards' rules. Both of those are blind to their own focus. Thus, Sazed is still blind to metal. That hasn't changed.

So, I think I can parse out a coherent question: "Why are Shards seem blind to their focus?"

How comes Seons only went crazy after their charge became an Elantrian? Why didn't they change when Elantris fell? Do Seons go through some sort of change during the Shaod?

Current theories on Aona's Shard name, as well as Brandon's cryptic comment about the Shard name, seems to imply that Aona holds a Shard name like Devotion or Loyalty. It makes sense, then, that the Seons would be tied to their masters, not the land. Still want me to ask the question? It seems like a pretty closed deal...

What were the Herald's blades called? (It might be best to word this as a yes or no question; he seems to be more consistent about answering those. Top contenders are Dawnshards and Honorblades I think)

Brandon has explicitly referred to them as Honorblades. Synonyms appear to be Dawnshards (as you said) and Dawnblades, but those could be names given by the culture. Given the fact that the Almighty's Shard is Honor, I think "Honorblade" is the clearest term that exists.

Was the Shattered Plains the only thing that you lifted from Dragonsteel? (AKA Will you start sending out copies of it now that WoK is out?)

I could still add this to the list, but I can already predict the answer. There are other cosmere clues in Dragonsteel.

Phew, finally done. Now to edit them into the topic. Feel free to call me out if a question that I critiqued above is something you still want asked. Some I'm including. Some questions which I feel has an adequate answer aren't included. But if you so desire, I can put them in anyways.

Ick, a triple post. Apologies.

I've edited the front list. In addition to your questions, I thought I'd add some questions, too. Some are pretty basic, but hey, the list needs completion.

How many Shardworlds are there? Only seven? (Sel, Nalthis, Scadrial, Roshar, Yolen, Taldain, and whatever planet The Silence Divine is on?)

Is Aona's Shard name Devotion?

Is Skai's Shard name Unity?

Did Odium travel to Sel before the construction of Elantris?

How could a person from Scadrial access Shadesmar? An alloy of a god metal?

The Allomantic metals are separated into four quadrants. Do the Shards have classifications as well, in groups of four?

Do two Shards exist on Taldain?

Does one Shard exist on the world of The Silence Divine?

Does Bavadin hold a Shard?

Why do Shards refer to themselves by their Shard name, rather than their original name? Do they still remember their original name?

Which Shards are responsible for highstorms?

What is Stormlight?

Is Stormlight a focus?

What is Midnight Essence?

Why is the chapter where Dalinar (presumably) sees the Day of Recreance called "A Highway to the Sun"?

Fabrials replicate Soulcasting abilities. Is it possible for fabrials to replicate all such Surgebinding abilities?

Did members of the Hierocracy see visions like Dalinar's?

Are the spren Shallan sees called truthspren?

Is Jezrien the voice Kaladin hears when he rides the storm?

What are the exchange rates of gems on Roshar?

Are Honorspren Splinters, or do they hold Splinters?

Is the Nightwatcher Cultivation or of Cultivation in some respect?

Will we see more notes from the person who wrote the letter in the Part Two epigraphs?

Is the letter writer Hoid? - Status: RAFO

You said that Preservation created the Terris Prophecies. Why couldn't Ruin see into the future and counter Preservation's plan?

Why does lerasium relate to Physical and Enhancement properties?

Allomancy causes many dramatic effects and a lot of change. How does this make Allomancy of Preservation?

Will we ever get to see additional god metal alloys? You know, sometime.

How does one detect a new Feruchemist? In Allomancy, there is always bronze. Is there something similar for Feruchemy?

Did Odium travel to Sel before the construction of Elantris?

You said to not travel to Shadesmar on Sel. Is this a consequence of Odium Splintering Aona and Skai?

Is the Dor a combination of Aona's and Skai's Shard's power, or only related to Aona?

There are 108 questions related to the cosmere. Holy crap, guys.

If an Elantrian tattooed another Elantrian with the Aon Rao, would the Elantrian with the tattoo be of equal power, no matter where he went, to Elantrians close to the city of Elantris?

Or, more generally, what constitutes and how difficult to create are foci for AonDor.

Or, more generally, what constitutes and how difficult to create are foci for AonDor.

I like this question, as it would tell us how Fjorden would create an amplifier. Maybe change the word "AonDor" to "magics on Sel."

Elantris has a major home-court advantage - as long it doesn't want to go out conquesting, it's virtually unimpregnable! Look at what they did in Teod, and that was without amplification! I've always thought that this was a major advantage that Elantris has over Dakhor and, in order to make some kind of tension, Brandon will have to even the playing field. While Fjorden might not be building its own "amplifier city" (I don't think Brandon would be that redundant), I'm pretty confident that some [perhaps portable?] equivalent will come about.

Edited by Puck

I like this question, as it would tell us how Fjorden would create an amplifier. Maybe change the word "AonDor" to "magics on Sel."

Or just the Dor, since we know it can be focused/amplified and also ask if other Sel magics (Dakhor monks in particular) use/are powered by the Dor or by something else.

I hate to double post but recent discussion on The Most Important Question You Will Ever Read has sparked my interest.

Does the person being pierced in order to imbue a Hemalurgic spike have to die?

ie. Could a Feruchemist taping a gold mind heal themselves fast enough that they wouldn't die but still have a spike driven completely through their heart, thus Hemalurgically imbuing it? If not, what about a Gold+Gold Twinborn? A full Mistborn Feruchemist (like TLR)?

<edit> forgot one

I feel like this one has already been answered but I can't remember what it was or where.

Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be stored in a metalmind and, if so, is this limit related to the physical size of the metalmind, the abilities of the Feruchemist, something else entirely, or a combination of these factors?

Edited by Morderkaine

Or just the Dor, since we know it can be focused/amplified and also ask if other Sel magics (Dakhor monks in particular) use/are powered by the Dor or by something else.

I'd be careful here. Let's say the Dor is Shard-specific, and Dakhor is of a different Shard than the Dor. We ask our question phrased this way, and Brandon says"by building a city." He means one thing, we hear another.

I think "magic systems on Sel" provides the least amount of wiggle room for him

I feel like this one has already been answered but I can't remember what it was or where.

Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be stored in a metalmind and, if so, is this limit related to the physical size of the metalmind, the abilities of the Feruchemist, something else entirely, or a combination of these factors?

I was thinking about that too. It's been hinted at (one argument against infinite storage is that they use multiple similar rings, but that might be purely aesthetic for partitioning the power into easy to control chunks).

I guess (assuming that their universe has similar physics to ours) that storage mechanism is just packing energy/information or imparting structure onto the underlying structure of the magic (the magic is doing no work to an untouched 'mind). So there will be an upper limit on the density of energy or structure you can fit into a certain amount of metal. Once above these limits, it's possible that the metal may become unstable, or the information stored may start to be less reliable. I wouldn't want to wear a 'mind that might explode...nor would an unreliable source of data.

Another possible way of augmenting the knowledge storage would be to add a level of indirection, in which the raw data is processed, an error detection datum added to the end, and then the data can be compressed somehow, then placed on the 'mind. What I mean is some sort of synaptic processor between your mind and the metal, which takes what you wish to store, calculates a value that can be used to check for inconsistencies in the data later, and then compress it like a zip file. And for retrieval we do the opposite: decompress it, calculate the error checking value and compare to the one stored, and pass the data to the brain if its correct.

*overthinks*

I want to clarify the Odium question. Odium is obviously one of the shards on Roshar, but were there always three, except for the time when he left. Originally when Roshar was formed, was he there?

Could Hoid or any other world jumper pick up different powers on one world and use them on another? For example, could Hoid have gotten Breaths on Nalthis and used them on Roshar? (I also rephrased this one)

Also the exchange rate on Roshar is in the book, but not compiled.

I want to clarify the Odium question. Odium is obviously one of the shards on Roshar, but were there always three, except for the time when he left. Originally when Roshar was formed, was he there?

Could Hoid or any other world jumper pick up different powers on one world and use them on another? For example, could Hoid have gotten Breaths on Nalthis and used them on Roshar? (I also rephrased this one)

Also the exchange rate on Roshar is in the book, but not compiled.

There are hints in the books themselves in Dalinar's visions. When Dalinar rescues the woman and her child from the dark thingies, one of the oaths the woman uses in "Three gods!" So back when the Radiants were active, apparently the common folk knew about the Shards that were involved with their world. Of course, this doesn't trace Odium back to the creation itself, but it is a look into history.

I'm pretty sure that this one has been answered as a "No" already (zas? quote?).

Even if we can't find a Brandon quote saying so, there are enough statements in the Brandonothology that point out that how a person accesses Creation is not just about what planet they're on, but about their Physical/Cognitive/Spiritual makeup. People who are of Sel (not to be confused with people that are on Sel) access Creation through ways x, y, and z, while those of Scadrial access it through a, b, and c.

At least that's how I understand it.

Concerning Cett's daughter's linage, actually I guess it's five generations to pass along allomancy, Page 293 of the Final Empire says "Skaa never become mistings unless they have aristocratic blood somewhere in their last five generations"

Another question, Brandon. Would the Three Metallic Arts operate in other worlds, or are they direct results of Ruin and Preservation and thus only operate in Scadrial?

Okay, back to answering spoilers. (Or, in the case of this post, half-answering them.)

To use Feruchemy or Allomancy in almost every case, one must have the right spiritual and genetic codes, imprinted upon people during the creation of Scadrial by Ati and Leras. To use Hemalurgy, one must first have someone with these right spiritual and genetic codse, then take the power from them. Other people on other worlds are not going to simply discover the Three Metallic Arts by accident.

This is as much as we got on this.

I think that Hoid could receive Breath, but not give them away. In order to give Breath, he would have to have the right spiritual DNA of (which comes to Nalthis people because of Endowment). I think that Hemalurgy can also be received. The others, I don't think so. Except for maybe receiving Dahkor. But I am almost positive you can't 'give' any magic except your own. And you won't "get" a magic through osmosis.

Although this dicussion did lead to this quote by a fan. (not Brandon)

Dilaf reveled in blood and death, Pushing and Pulling himself towards his fleeing prey.

He landed adroitly in front of the startled man, relying on his Dakhor markings to deflect the bits of metal that the man tossed. His eyes were bloodshot, flashing with an insane light. He pulled out a spike and stepped towards the cornered man. "You can't escape."

EDIT-clarification